Hypothetical design problem
As long as you're dreaming, one solution to this problem I saw somewhere was to build the layout on a false floor, maybe 12-18" off the real floor. This allows you to build a ramp or stairs down to the "real" floor where it is necessary to cross the layout. If the layout's height is set at eye level, you effectively turn duckunder into a walkunder. Quite a bit more structural engineering is required, though.

EDIT: another approach.Here's a diagram I drew up when I was trying to help a guy over on the MRR forums.

[Image: Layouttemp2.jpg]

There is no backdrop down the center of the benchwork from Middleboro to Buzzard's Bay.

The operator for the North Falmouth Branch starts out at Middleboro staging standing on the left side of the benchwork.
The operator for the main line train to Hyannis starts out at Middleboro staging standing on the right side of the benchwork.

The North Falmouth operator runs along the main and takes the left-hand wye to North Falmouth, does his work, then returns to Middleboro, always staying on the left side of the main benchwork.

Same deal on the right side with the main line operator.

This approach has some restrictions, as in it wouldn't work if the North Falmouth train also had to go on to Hyannis. The branch train must go back to the yard it came from. You may also have to play fast and loose with real world geography (i.e. turn west to east, etc) to make it work out. Not sure how to pull something off like this for two branches, either.

I don't think the guy took this approach, since he started asking about a different track plan and setting.

Food for thought, anyway Smile
--O'Dave

Messages In This Thread