Poll: Are you interested in decals for biL's Lehigh Susquehanna & Western railroad?
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
1 HO scale set in white
25.00%
5 25.00%
2 HO scale sets in white
35.00%
7 35.00%
3 HO scale sets in white
15.00%
3 15.00%
4 HO scale sets in white
5.00%
1 5.00%
5 HO scale sets in white
0%
0 0%
1 HO scale set in black
5.00%
1 5.00%
2 HO scale sets in black
5.00%
1 5.00%
3 HO scale sets in black
5.00%
1 5.00%
4 HO scale sets in black
0%
0 0%
5 HO scale sets in black
0%
0 0%
1 N scale set in white
0%
0 0%
2 N scale sets in white
5.00%
1 5.00%
3 N scale sets in white
0%
0 0%
4 N scale sets in white
0%
0 0%
5 N scale sets in white
0%
0 0%
1 N scale set in black
0%
0 0%
2 N scale sets in black
0%
0 0%
3 N scale sets in black
0%
0 0%
4 N scale sets in black
0%
0 0%
5 N scale sets in black
0%
0 0%
Total 20 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Remembering biL Marsland...
May 11th, 2012, will mark one year since my friend and fellow-Member biL Marsland passed away. I miss our long and rambling e-mail conversations and regret never having had the chance to talk with him in person.

Not long after his passing, I decided that I wanted to create something on my layout in way of remembrance. Eventually, he'll have an industry named for him, but my first thought was to letter a piece of rolling stock for his Lehigh, Susquehanna & Western. It occurred to me that there may be others to whom this might be of interest, and I thought that such interest might be sufficient to have Accurail do a run of custom-lettered LS&W cars. For this, the minimum order is 48 cars, perhaps a manageable number. However, the drawback is that biL was modelling, like me, the '30s, so a car would need to fit into that era, at least if I were to be footing the initial bill. Wink Misngth
BiL's daughter had promised to send me the artwork for her Dad's LS&W herald, plus, if she could find it, his numbering system for freight cars (I had the latter in an e-mail, but accidentally deleted it, along with a lot of other stuff). Wallbang To date, there's been no further word on this.
However, I can work with biL's avatar from Big Blue, if necessary:

[Image: LehighSusquehannaWesternherald.jpg]

My good friend Ed (cn nutbar) suggested that perhaps custom lettering might be a better option, as modellers could apply it to their choice of rolling stock, regardless of their modelling era. I contacted Rail Graphics, and it appears that a sheet of decals sufficient to letter two cars with heralds, reporting marks and numbers would run about $4.00 U.S. if I supply the camera-ready artwork. The individual modeller would need to supply the dimensional data, as that's quite era-specific. The minimum order would be for 25 sets and they indicate that an order can be done in both white and black, with the optional colour available in increments of five: for example, 25 sets, with 15 in white and 10 in black. My thought is that the decals will be intended for HO scale, unless there's sufficient interest (at least 25 sets-worth Misngth ) in other scales.
If there's sufficient interest, I'll do the artwork, fund the project, and mail out the finished decals to interested parties, who will pay (I hope Misngth ) only for the actual cost plus my shipping (which would be postage for a letter, unless you want a crateload of decals.) Icon_lol

Right now, I'd like to find out if enough people are interested, so post the number of sets you think you'd like, and the colour - black or white - you'd prefer. If you're interested in a scale other than HO, don't forget to mention so, and if you have any comments or suggestions, please include them. Keep in mind, too, that each decal set will do two cars.

I've also included a Poll, which gives you multiple choices for colour and scale, and allows you to indicate the number of sets you'd like. Click on whichever ones or combinations that suit your preferences. If you want more than five sets, simply click on the choices which will give you the correct total: for instance, to indicate that you'd be interested in nine HO scale sets in white, click on the appropriate 5, 3, and 1 options. Bear in mind that one set will letter two cars.

The poll will close in 30 days, at which time I'll evaluate the results and post my conclusions.

Wayne

Messages In This Thread