Sumpter 250's duff challenge
Sag Harbor Shipbuilding and DryDock Company, is building a larger articulated locomotive for its freight line. It probably will not see any service on the yard property, as the curves there are a bit too tight for the longer wheelbase. The 2-4-4-2 handles that duty, already.

This project has been sitting around for "almost a millennium", so I guess a "Get off your duff, and get it done" is an appropriate reason to "do it"
a 3' gauge, outside frame 2-6-6-2, in HO scale. The MDC frames and tender, are leftovers from my 2-4-4-2 build. Yeah, it's that old. The boiler is a piece of PVC pipe, and the cab is scratchbuilt with styrene sheet and strip. I also decided to modify the steam chests to piston valves, instead of the original slide valves, and the intention is to equip the loco with Walschaerts Valve gear, instead of the Stevenson gear that came with the MDC kits.

The part of this build that put a halt to construction, was the "running gear", so that will be my starting point for this challenge. My first concern is where I will mount the motor, and how I'll get that connected to the drivers.
I have learned a few tricks for working with styrene, metal, and hopefully PVC, that should come in handy for this project.
The use of "Hot melt" adhesive for securing the motor in place is another trick I may well use here.
Finally, don't be too surprised if this loco receives water tanks, up on the boiler, and becomes a 2-6-6-2T with tender.
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!

Messages In This Thread