Sumpter 250's duff challenge
nachoman Wrote:I thought I posted this a few days ago, but apparently it didn't post -
I had to replace the pins on my 2-8-0 due to wear - I cut the pins as close to the counterweights as possible, drilled through the pin and counterweight and inserted a brass tube of the same diameter and epoxied in place. I then cut the brass tube the right length, and tapped for a 00-90 hex head screw. So far, it has worked great, and much better than the original pins.
:o ( sound of tires screeching to a shuddering halt ) :o
That could be a valuable piece of information for anyone who has and runs the MDC loco kits.
Wink engage brain, and think 8-) Big Grin
OK, but you didn't have to add an "eccentric crank" ( no, not a crabby old codger like me ) to the pin, to drive the valve gear. I did use 00-90 hex head screws to attach the drive rods to the crossheads, I never really cared for the original means of attachment.
The eccentric crank, with a small washer behind it, will hold the side rod,and the drive rod in place, on the pin. I can secure the eccentric cranks to the pins, once they are aligned correctly, with a touch of solder. A touch of "locktite" on the pin's threads will keep them secure in the counterweights.
I still would like to know where I could find that 0.023" ( the dia. of the MDC pin ) Brass tubing. I could find numerous uses for it. Thumbsup
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!

Messages In This Thread