advice on styrene wraps to add rivet detail
When I added a riveted overlay on the tender of Beeg Boy, I used .010" styrene, and, as Kevin mentioned, used lacquer thinner to cement it in place. Using a suitably-sized brush, I applied a light coat of thinner to the rivet overlay, and a slightly heavier coat to the surface to which it was to be attached. Let it sit for a few seconds to allow the plastic to soften somewhat and to allow the excess solvent to evaporate, then position the overlay where you want it, starting at one end and pressing it into place as you work out any entrapped air bubbles. There should be no need to clamp it.
While ca will also hold it in place, I find that the solvent bond is much stronger and is unlikely to ever fail, whereas ca seems to deteriorate over time. You could also use contact cement, although you'd need to get the applications very thin and very even. Be sure to allow the full time indicated on the instructions before applying the overlay, as this allows the excess solvents to evaporate fully. Bonding, of course, is instant, and there's no way to remove or re-position the overlay without destroying it.
If you're unsure about the lacquer thinner technique, make up a small piece of riveted overlay and apply it to a piece of heavier styrene - this will help you to see how much to apply so that the thinner doesn't continue to "work" after the sheet is applied, and yet remains wet enough for an effective bond.

Wayne

Messages In This Thread