You Never Know What ....... so I'm asking.....
In my 1973 reprint of the 1925 Locomotive Cyclopædia, there's a photo on page 189 of an Alco-built Florida East Coast 4-8-2 with what appear to be similar tender trucks. On page 622, there's a drawing of an equalised pedestal tender truck, built by Alco for the Kansas City Southern, but it's definitely not like the one in the photo.
On page 169, there are photos of Light and Heavy USRA Pacifics, and both are equipped with USRA-style tender trucks, a top-equalised design not that well accepted by many railroads. They feature a top member similar to that of the KCS tender in the photo, but do not include the drop portion with the leaf springs as an integral part of the sideframe casting. They do, however, appear to have a similar drop casting and leaf spring arrangement inboard of the upper casting. The photos are too small to tell if the journal boxes are individually-sprung, but the pivot arms are definitely not visible - perhaps, if the journals are so-sprung, they pivot from that drop-frame. A picture on page 179 shows a USRA Light 4-8-2 built for the NYNH&H, also with USRA-type tender trucks, but it's no clearer.
It's easy to speculate that Alco may have attempted further development of the USRA tender truck - perhaps someone can comment on the origin of the original design - if it was an Alco creation, it might be reasonable to think that they'd pursue it further.
I also found this photo of a FEC Pacific with a fairly similar style of tender trucks.

Wayne

Messages In This Thread