FRAM II DD in 1:125.5 scale
I'm going to have to build a bigger "photo booth", and get better lighting. Eek

1:125.5 scale ?? The hull I am using is 36" long, the ship I am modeling is 376' 6" long ( 376.5' divided by 3', = 125.5 )
Her beam is 40', and she draws 18'
The beam of the model is 45' , measured with an N scale ruler. It's that close to an N scale model
This shot is the forward part of the superstructure, including Mount 52, the bridge area, the forward stack, and part of the 01 level deck where the torpedo tubes are mounted.

This shot is the full length of the model. Everything that is "dark gray" is part of the "Blue Devil Destroyer" "kit"
Everything white, is scratchbuilt in styrene sheet/rod/strip.

The gun mounts, twin 5" 38, ( starting from the forward mount ) Mount 51, mount 52, and back aft mount 53 ) started out as single barrel mounts...so there were only four barrels :o I had to build a pair for mount 53.

I down loaded several drawings to help me with the build. Unfortunately each of them is a different size, and I have had to calculate the size ratios to 1:125.5, so I can use them. In short... every detail is going to be an adventure in research, and calculation. Applause Nope Applause

There is very little of the original kit that I can use, because the details are of an original Sumner class DD, and not one that has gone through Fleet Rehabilitation And Modernization ( FRAM ). There are four *quick action water tight doors*, built and installed at this time. Each of those doors are built up....and there are 29 individual pieces to each door. :o
Yeah, THIS project is going to be "FUN" Wink Wink Nope
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!

Messages In This Thread