My early/earliest 'Railroad' models
Thought I'd open this discussion to celebrate each of "our" beginnings in the hobby of model building.
If you have photos of your first attempts in model railroading, or , modelbuilding in general, here is a place to share them.

I'll start this with this coal facility. I still have this model.....only slightly damaged after all the moves it has survived.
In Lindenhurst, L.I. , N.Y. , back a "few" ( :oops: OK in the mid fifties ) years ago, there was a facility where trucks could pick up coal, for home delivery. ( yeah, there were homes heated by coal fired furnaces, that required home delivery of 'fuel' )
Coal hoppers were emptied into a concrete pit, at the base of a chain/trough conveyor, which would lift the coal to the top of the bin, dump each trough, and cycle back down for the next 'load'.
That structure was one of the first models I scratch-built for a 4' X 6' HO scale "layout". At the time, I was using sheet Balsa as a building material. The building was a several story tall Coal Bin, with two drive through areas for the delivery trucks to 'load up', in.

We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!

Messages In This Thread