My Tern
Sumpter250 Wrote:It is a rare day that I see photos of a model so well done. The sails are as close to perfect as I have ever seen!!
I am curious to know what material was used to make those sails, I would like to try to make sails that would even "Look Close" to those.
That's one of the reasons I model the sails furled....the other reason is that most of my vessels are in harbor and moored. ( and they are in 1:87 scale ).

That ship, a "Norwegian schooner brig", here in the U.S., would be called a "Brigantine".

"Leon", was featured in Harold A. Underhill's " Plank-On-Frame Models and Scale Masting & Rigging" Volume 1.
I knew I had seen that ship somewhere before.

Yes, he had that book or a similar one. It was my gift when he retired. Later did he find a shop (in the Netherlands?) to buy the full prototype documentation of the body, the sails and all the roping. That was when he seriously started to do the model.

The sails are made of fabric. It toke a long time until he found a matching fabric. He told me sometime at the phone when he was hunting Hamburger shops for the right fabric. I remember he has the same problem with the threads to match the different ropes of the prototype. Different color and different thickness.

He did several parts of the ship multiple times until he liked the outcome. He was a fan of precision and had endless passion. I would like to have inherited some of that....
Reinhard

Messages In This Thread