WOOHOO! Good weather = time to build
Gary,

You answered my question completely.

Thanks,

Larry
...Hence the old adage...."Check the wiring after EVERY connection you make..." Goldth

It's a PITA, but a hair-pulling saver....
Gus (LC&P).
faraway Wrote:Gary, I suggest you take that guy out for a beer. The online community of this forums supports and likes that guy very much. So don't be to harsh with him. He is a real nice guy Big Grin

Big Grin Thanks Reinhard, that is appreciated!
Three Foot Rule In Effect At All Times
P5se Camelback Wrote:Tonight, Gary S. lost his concentration and let his mind wander while working to complete the "as-close-to-Bullet-Proof-as-you-can-get-it" wiring that biL was trying to convince Russ was going to make problems virtually non-existant by repeating the mantra ... " ... result of Gary's thoughtful planning and careful execution."

You're gonna cost me one of my coveted Chunky Chocolate Bars with the raisins and the nuts in it in the silver foil wrapper! [/b] :!: :arrow: Curse

biL, I gotta level with you.... Russ told me he would give me half of that Chunkie if I would mess things up a bit... and I do love them silver wrapper Chunkies!

P.S. Do they actually still make those?
Gary S Wrote:P.S. Do they actually still make those?

Heck, you can buy 'em by the box:

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B0000T15GO/ref=dp_olp_0?ie=UTF8&redirect=true&condition=all">http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/ ... dition=all</a><!-- m -->

The Cadbury Dairy Milk Fruit & Nut sounds like it could be similar. Of the two, it's the only one I have tried and it's pretty good...! Wink Big Grin

Andrew
Steamtrains Wrote:...Hence the old adage...."Check the wiring after EVERY connection you make..." Goldth

It's a PITA, but a hair-pulling saver....

First, there was the "uh oh" upon realizing I hadn't been checking everything as I went. Then there was the apprehension and hoping as the meter probes approached the rail. And then the sinking feeling in the stomach when the meter needle went to zero ohms. Then the brain-racking trying to figure the easiest way to find the problem. And finally the disgust of realizing the only solution was to start cutting the connections apart.

Gus, I won't make that mistake again.
MasonJar Wrote:Heck, you can buy 'em by the box:

Woohoo! I want one right now!
MasonJar Wrote:
Gary S Wrote:P.S. Do they actually still make those?
Heck, you can buy 'em by the box:
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/B0000T15GO/ref=dp_olp_0?ie=UTF8&redirect=true&condition=all">http://www.amazon.com/gp/offer-listing/ ... dition=all</a><!-- m -->
Wink Big Grin Andrew
Ooohhhhhh Booyyyyyy! Thank you Mister Mason Jar!!!!!!!!!!!! Thumbsup Cheers Worship

I followed the link and while I was there I looked up another favorite ... one I have only ever had when friends visit England and bring them back to me ... Cadbury "Flake" bars. Thumbsup Big Grin

Yeah, yeah, I know ... a Flake for the flake ... beat you to it, Jenna! (I know my daughter monitors this site from time to time, just to see what the old man is up to. And she never misses an opportunity to slip me a zinger!) Icon_lol
biL

Lehigh Susquehanna & Western 

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." ~~Abraham Lincoln
No silver-wrapped Chunkies tonight, but I did about wear out the probes of the ohm-meter...
Gary S Wrote:Lots of wiring progress, but still alot to be done.

I completed all of the conduit runs and got all the wire pulled in...

With a real big stick you can force current to flow through all kind of wires. The current tends to scream in the beginning but it becomes more silent when the current get used to the wires... Confusedhock:

[Image: Img_0027.jpg]
Reinhard
THAT is ALOT of wires! Confusedhock:
I drew up a rough plan of the layout. The room is 20 feet by 40 feet. The drawing is not to scale. Most of the track is already done.

That layout is impressive.
How to plan to use the interchange yards?
Will they be operated by the 0-5-0 only to inject cars and trains or do you plan to have scenic yards and "use" them to build trains? In the later case I miss the lead tracks to keep the main line free to send/receive trains.
How about one or two hidden tracks behind industrial area 3 to "simulate" a Galveston branch?
I would be so glad to have your space!
Reinhard
Reinhard, the interchange yards will be used as a place to add and remove cars (by hand) from the layout. Both of them wil be done with scenery.

The way I envision it, cars coming from either the SF or SP will originate at the interchanges. A local will pick up the cars and then distribute them to the various industries on the layout. At the same time, they will be picking up cars destined for the interchanges. Between ops sessions, I'll remove the outgoing cars and add new incoming cars.

I'll take a look at the prospects of placing a hidden branch behind the structures at location 3.

Edit: I don't envision these yards as being used for classification, hence no need for yard leads and all the rest. The class 1 drops off cars there, and the shortline picks them up and takes them to the industries.
Gary S Wrote:...Edit: I don't envision these yards as being used for classification, hence no need for yard leads and all the rest. The class 1 drops off cars there, and the shortline picks them up and takes them to the industries.

Both yards occupy a remarkable space. I am thinking to get the most out of them.
Do the class 1 pre-sort the cars to be in a useful sequence for delivery by the local? I do guess the big class 1 will not care for sequence and direction of the industry spurs. That is the point where the local railroad needs to sort/classify the inbound cuts in the interchange yard to optimize the delivery or is that the purpose of the middle yard? But I do not see a track at the middle yard that might be a lead track, can access the yard tracks and does not block the main.

Other question about the same topic. How dense traffic do you imagine on the main line? If there are only two locals per day the main will serve fine as a lead track.
Reinhard