We need your feedback, all of you...
I tried that "Control" thing with the mouse, and it worked great.  I had never been aware of that feature, and was surprised that things didn't revert back to the original font size after I closed here.  Not only is everything legible, but when I type in a message here, I get the increased font size without having to re-select it. 

Count me as a satisfied customer!

Wayne
(01-13-2020, 11:21 AM)doctorwayne Wrote: I tried that "Control" thing with the mouse, and it worked great.  I had never been aware of that feature, and was surprised that things didn't revert back to the original font size after I closed here.  Not only is everything legible, but when I type in a message here, I get the increased font size without having to re-select it. 

Count me as a satisfied customer!

Wayne

We will be sending you a survey, as a satisfied customer, your survey will only be 18 pages long and shouldn't take more than four hours to fill out. Well, we think four hours since no one has filled one out yet. Icon_lol 

Yeah, I like it too, it works in a lot of programs as well. My DTP, CAD and even Word uses that to enlarge or shrink a page. But, unlike a browser, when you reopen the program, you have to resize the page again.
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
founder of the CANYON STATE RAILROAD
I was looking thru this conversation, and I was totally surprised to see it started in 2017 with a lot of submissions,...the went dead until just recently 2020.   So what happen in the meantime??...any more thoughts on changing software that runs the site??

I might be suggest that you have a look at this discussion about another model railroad forum that was having some problems, and decided to look around for a new software to run their forums.

Here is that discussion that the webmaster (owner I believe) recorded as he looked at different possibilities,
http://www.modelrailroadforums.com/forum...ote.30154/

He has sense made his choice, switched to new software, and is very happy with the results.

If you played around on this site just a little I think you would find it has a LOT of positive features.

It is basically the same software that one of my favorite boating forums utilizes for years now (updated of course),..Boatdesign.net
I believe the webmaster on boatdesign even offered some helpful assistance to the webmaster or ModelRailroadForums when he was doing the crossover.

Something to consider?

Brian
(01-17-2020, 09:57 PM)railandsail Wrote: I was looking thru this conversation, and I was totally surprised to see it started in 2017 with a lot of submissions,...the went dead until just recently 2020.   So what happen in the meantime??...any more thoughts on changing software that runs the site??....

.....Something to consider?

Brian

Well, I don't keep up to date on these things, but I believe that our site has been updated since this thread began...Don or Mikey could tell you for sure, though. 

I do think the features here are superior to those on the MR site, but it's unfortunate that we don't have the amount of traffic which they enjoy.  I don't think that the majority of Members here are as engaged as they once were, and I doubt very much that it's due to the software.

Wayne
You are right Wayne, we did change over from phpBB to myBB and tweaked it to meet what we do here. You are also right in that we've had a decline in activity. We get lots of folks reading what we post, just not a lot of folks posting anymore. We lost a number of friends over the years, others are no longer doing modeling, some switched to social media and there are those that just disappeared, not to be heard from again. We're doing our best to keep up with the times. Things change so rapidly anymore that it's hard to keep up.

If anyone has ideas on how to attract new members and to get old ones back, we're here with open ears. We have a few suggestions to start some challenges. We waited until the holidays were over and we intend to start a challenge very soon.

I watched an episode of "Restaurant Impossible", last night. The decor and menu were stuck in a 25-year old rut and the owner didn't want to change. Well, Robert Irvine got things changed just dandy, updated look, totally new menu, but at the end, the caption said that there was no change in the gross revenue yet. Kind of disappointing, and that's how we feel after the changes we've made here over the years. Are we stuck in a 15-year old rut? If we are, please let us know.
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
(01-17-2020, 11:07 PM)doctorwayne Wrote: I do think the features here are superior to those on the MR site, but it's unfortunate that we don't have the amount of traffic which they enjoy.  I don't think that the majority of Members here are as engaged as they once were, and I doubt very much that it's due to the software.

Wayne

Wayne, I'm pretty sure you realize that the MR site I referenced is NOT the Model Railroader magazine forum site which is experiencing a lot of problems itself. They need to do a lot of fixing, and/or look at changes.

The webmaster (owner) over at the site I referenced supposedly looked at a number of different software options when he was looking for a new one, and this (Forum software by XenForo™ ©2010-2017 XenForo Ltd) turned out to be his choice even while being a little more expensive than other choices.

I'm not so sure about there overall traffic numbers for these various forums, but I think its declining across the board. The MRH (model railroad hobbyist) site seems to me doing pretty well, but if there are 2 things I do NOT like about it is their failure to notify any poster of a reply being made to each individual who has made a contribution to a subject.
The forum could use a few tweaks, but frankly it is fine. Sadly, social media have more people posting too many things.  I joined FB for the local history groups and local RR groups but I prefer the atmosphere here. Perhaps a Big Blue facebook page would get the slackers back to thinking about blue.
(01-18-2020, 07:04 AM)Charlie B Wrote: The forum could use a few tweaks, but frankly it is fine. Sadly, social media have more people posting too many things.  I joined FB for the local history groups and local RR groups but I prefer the atmosphere here. Perhaps a Big Blue facebook page would get the slackers back to thinking about blue.

Charlie, we are "| | THIS" (imaging those two lines are fingers), close to having that go public. I just need to boot Pat and remind him where we left off....

And yeah, there's a certain amount of comfort that you get here that's not present on FB. It reminds me of a chat room where there are several conversations going on at once but all replies are piled onto all the others. Not like a forum where they are separated by threads.
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
As a lifelong Slacker and a long time modeler of, well pretty much anything, I like that the site is not a FB page. Mostly, though, I think it is because I am one of the 12 people in the world without a FaceBook account. Yes, I do share pictures of things via Instagram, but that was only because my messaging app only allows me to send a message to 20 people at a time. When I was trying to share a picture of something friends and family could see, they all said FB with the lone exception of my daughter who knows of my disdain for FB. She suggested Instagram. (which I think is owned by Facebook?)

As my son said to me the other day, "Jeeze, Dad.. curmudgeon much?" I was laughing too hard to revoke his phone privileges.

George
[Image: np_F-1ani.gif][Image: goog.gif]
(01-18-2020, 11:14 AM)deckroid Wrote: As my son said to me the other day, "Jeeze, Dad.. curmudgeon much?"  I was laughing too hard to revoke his phone privileges.

George

Yeah George, lots of us qualify as curmudgeons, I haven't a clue about most social media. I opened a FB account to get a coupon for a local restaurant and read their menu, then never used either, (Facebook or the coupon). I had one "friend", my son, and never filled out anything in my profile. I added a few other family members, but still don't go there to communicate with them. If they want to talk, that's why we have a phone (read: landline). I also see where I have a list of about 10,000 people that I should know and add to my friends list. I don't think FB is practical for what we do here, but if it's in demand, we will give it a try. If it doesn't work out, it cost us nothing but some time.
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and