Poll: Which of the following do you like best (vote for as many as you want)
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
doctorwayne https://bigbluetrains.com/showthread.php?tid=9091
26.67%
8 26.67%
Tyson Rayles https://bigbluetrains.com/showthread.php?tid=9088
23.33%
7 23.33%
ngauger https://bigbluetrains.com/showthread.php?tid=9084
23.33%
7 23.33%
ezdays https://bigbluetrains.com/showthread.php?tid=9085
26.67%
8 26.67%
Total 30 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

One Square Foot (or thereabouts) voting poll
(05-16-2020, 09:42 PM)Charles Wrote: I was just about to vote, but when I got to the site, the poll was closed.  I'm quite sure that it's not yet midnight in Arizona, as it's not yet midnight here, rather farther east of Arizona, either, as I'm currently inspecting an installation in Pennsylvania.  I say Recount!  Recount!!

Charles

Sorry Charlie, the poll was set to close at midnight, I just wasn't aware where the poll picks as the time zone, but probably in Greenwich rather than Arizona. Now we know.... Icon_rolleyes 

Look, the poll is closed, voting is over and it's so close that I don't think we need to call a winner, other than everyone that entered is a winner. I feel this way because I got things done that maybe I wouldn't have for a while. Contests always motivate me and I'm sure it's the same with others.

Thanks to those that participated, and thanks to those that voted, Applause Applause I just wish we have more interest in both categories. Maybe the next time, eh..... Icon_e_biggrin
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
founder of the CANYON STATE RAILROAD
More entries would have been nice. Maybe next time.
Mike

Sent from my pocket calculator using two tin cans and a string
(05-18-2020, 05:21 AM)Tyson Rayles Wrote: More entries would have been nice. Maybe next time.

Yup, I'm hoping too. I remember when we had some 15 entries as a norm, one time I had to expand the voting poll limit, we has some 25 enter that time. Those days are behind us, but it would be nice to see more folks enter regardless.

We are open for suggestions for any new challenges, so if anyone has a idea, feel free to let us know.
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
What about a pizza layout challenge. Pizza layouts don't require a lot of materials or space.
Mike

(05-19-2020, 05:37 AM)Tyson Rayles Wrote: What about a pizza layout challenge. Pizza layouts don't require a lot of materials or space.

I dunno, Mike,  my wife always makes derogatory comments whenever I'm making pizzas because I take too long adding the scenery.  She doesn't realise that there's a specific order in which the details must be added:  tomato sauce is the most important, and always first and very generously-applied, then the pepperoni, so it can be buried under the grated cheese, preventing it from turning into hardened, wizened rat turds, like it would if added on top of the cheese. 
I always use two cheeses, too, mozzarella first, then old cheddar. After that, the mushrooms go on, followed by the peppers - red, green, orange, and yellow, all in very generous amounts, and sprinkled liberally with salt and pepper.  Olives are next, both green and ripe, also in copious quantities, and I always finish-off with a can of crushed pineapple.
Of course, it also takes longer in the oven, and it appears that the necessity of eating it with a knife and fork, as did all my Italian ancestors, is somehow offensive....after all, it is impossible to pick-up with your hands, as it collapses under the weight of the toppings.  Perhaps I should build stronger benchwork?

Now I'm hungry...

Wayne
You had me there right up to the pineapple.  Yeah, pineapple in my fruit salad, pineapple in my Chinese sweet & sour, I'll even eat just plain pineapple, but putting pineapple on a pizza is tantamount to putting ketchup on a hot dog. Eek Got to admit though, I've never tried either, so I guess I really can't knock it..... Nope
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
Surprisingly, to me, anyway, is that I heard it's a Canadian creation....I would have thought maybe from Hawaii, but perhaps it's our desire to keep a reminder of summer weather in our heads through winter, which seems very reluctant to end this year, at least around here.

It does pair-up nicely, flavour-wise, with the usual ingredients, though.  I'm generally not a fan of meat on pizza, although while pepperoni is usually de rigeur, I can get by without it.  Hamburger, ham, chicken, or fish, though, no thanks.

Wayne
There was a California restaurant chain that opened here a few years ago with a multitude of "exotic" pizzas. That included fish, chicken, all sorts of veggies, and of course, pineapple along with an array of weird sauces. Want one with tomato sauce and cheese with sausage, pepperoni or mushrooms toppings, go somewhere else. So we sent them back to California shortly after they opened. Applause Applause
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
(05-19-2020, 12:48 PM)ezdays Wrote: There was a California restaurant chain that opened here a few years ago with a multitude of "exotic" pizzas. That included fish, chicken, all sorts of veggies, and of course, pineapple along with an array of weird sauces. Want one with tomato sauce and cheese with sausage, pepperoni or mushrooms toppings,    go somewhere else. So we sent them back to California shortly after they opened. Applause Applause

Don, ya just scored points with me Icon_e_biggrin Applause Icon_lol Worship
[Image: sig2.jpg]-Deano
[Image: up_turb10k_r.gif]
Yeah, if they can't build the pizza that you want, they're not of much use.
Don I can't believe anyone would eat a hot dog without ketchup on it! Wayne think of all the fun you can have scratch building an olive car and a pepperoni car and a cheese car and...................................Big Grin
Mike

(05-20-2020, 06:13 AM)Tyson Rayles Wrote: Don I can't believe anyone would eat a hot dog without ketchup on it! Wayne think of all the fun you can have scratch building an olive car and a pepperoni car and a cheese car and...................................Big Grin

You know, there are places around that this is an arrestable offense. Some hot dog places don't even carry ketchup, and there are places in Chicago that if you ask for it, they send you away. Same goes for their Italian Beef, order wrong and it's goodby, back to the end of the line. Very fussy people there. Waiting

I can see making a structure out of a block of cheese, but it would have to be aged for sure. Using a roll of pepperoni might work as a boiler, good choice. Applause Applause
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
So I'm guessing there is zero interest in a pizza layout challenge?
Mike

(05-21-2020, 06:19 AM)Tyson Rayles Wrote: So I'm guessing there is zero interest in a pizza layout challenge?

Seems to be more interest in pizza than a challenge. I'm in favor of any challenge that will attract participants. We did a pizza box challenge a while back and it looks like it drew fewer participants than this one did. We did a lot better with our, "get off your duff" challenges, and a few other one. How about a three-fer challenge, "Kit build, Kit bash, scratchbuild"? Do one, two or all three. Or maybe a "Pizza box diorama" challenge, you pick the size of the pizza box, but it must be a diorama.

Just a couple of other suggestions. We're open for more...anyone else????? Waiting
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
A totally scratch built S scale caboose. Standard or narrow gauge, your choice. Just a display item. Sitting on track, but no scenery required. Allow plenty of time for folks to find plans
and pieces like wheels and couplers. I don't really even know where to start looking. The idea would be a real to expand modelling horizons and provide a relatively
flat playing field scale-wise.
Cid