Anyone for a challenge????
It's been a while since we had a challenge of any kind, I know folks are busy and may not have the time to devote to one, but I'm just wondering, that's all. Does anyone have any ideas of what we can do for a new challenge? Not too clever, not too complicated and given enough time that even those that are super-busy with other things can participate. We used to have at least one or two challenges a year, that may not be realistic in today's world, but I thought I'd test the waters anyway.

Anyone have any ideas?
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
founder of the CANYON STATE RAILROAD
I'm just starting my own challenge, building a bunch of head-end cars, using Athearn and Rivarossi passenger cars, turning them into baggage, express, and postal cars, and it will include some scratchbuilds, too.  It looks like it will involve 17-or-so cars in total.  I think it will be challenging enough...maybe we could have a "Just do something, eh?" sort of challenge.

Wayne
might think about a kit modification challenge , some time back they had a regional kit bashing contest thing using a city classic company house kit maybe something like that .
Jim
My challenge:
Do the tax declaration until end of this month. German taxes indeed: "Umsatzsteuererklärung"
And no, not Texas, we Germans have the most complicated and most comprehensive fiscal tax laws.

Lutz
(03-04-2021, 01:29 PM)Schraddel Wrote: My challenge:
Do the tax declaration until end of this month. German taxes indeed: "Umsatzsteuererklärung"
And no, not Texas, we Germans have the most complicated and most comprehensive fiscal tax laws.

Lutz

Strange that you should say that. I just now sat down to start filling out my 2020 income tax form, and when I get to the second line, (my address), I see that I need to consult the instructions (111 pages). Icon_e_surprised I haven't even gotten to the figuring out parts. Nope  We do indeed have entered into a challenge my friend. Good luck on your side.
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
Sent my taxes in back in late Jan.. Looking forward to the refund checks now. To be honest with spring coming soon I have a lot of outdoor projects to contend with and glad of it as I'm tired of being inside most of the time. If it's just a get off your butt and do something challenge no matter how easy or hard I might could come up with something as long as the time line is generous.
Mike

Sent from my pocket calculator using two tin cans and a string
(03-05-2021, 08:25 AM)Tyson Rayles Wrote: Sent my taxes in back in late Jan.. Looking forward to the refund checks now. To be honest with spring coming soon I have a lot of outdoor projects to contend with and glad of it as I'm tired of being inside most of the time. If it's just a get off your butt and do something challenge no matter how easy or hard I might could come up with something as long as the time line is generous.

We had a "get off your duff" challenge a while back, but I still like the idea of a "do something" challenge. A no holds barred challenge where you commit to doing something and then actually get it done by the end of the challenge period. That has potential.
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
How about "build a kit, any kit". Idea would be to build it per instructions and add details and paint as desired. No serious modifications or kitbashing. Could be an Athearn boxcar with simple weathering, or a crafsman wood kit of a bridge.
--
Kevin
Check out my Shapeways creations!
3-d printed items in HO/HOn3 and more!
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kevin-s-model-train-detail-parts">https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kevin-s ... tail-parts</a><!-- m -->
I am liking Kevin's idea.
Tom
Silence is golden but Duct tape is silver
Ridley Keystone & Mountain Railroad
My Rail Images Gallery
Another idea is a photo challenge. Maybe choose a train related theme and take a series of photos to support that theme. Could be model photos or 1:1 trains, or anything.

I'm trying to think of ideas that have some kind of focus, but are still broad enough to appeal to all of us so that as many people as possible feel comfortable participating.
--
Kevin
Check out my Shapeways creations!
3-d printed items in HO/HOn3 and more!
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kevin-s-model-train-detail-parts">https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kevin-s ... tail-parts</a><!-- m -->
(03-08-2021, 10:05 AM)nachoman Wrote: Another idea is a photo challenge.  Maybe choose a train related theme and take a series of photos to support that theme.  Could be model photos or 1:1 trains, or anything.

I'm trying to think of ideas that have some kind of focus, but are still broad enough to appeal to all of us so that as many people as possible feel comfortable participating.

That's what this thread is all about. Try to pick a theme that would be attract as many participants as possible. The last one we had kind of fizzled out when trying to get participants to sign up, that's why I'm kind of tending towards a "do something, anything" challenge. Pick your project and go with it. That could be a kit (any kind), kitbash, scratchbuilt, rework or build an engine or car, complete a portion of a layout, even run with it as a photo challenge if that's your choice, just pick something that you know you can do in the allotted time.

That's just my thought, agree or not, I'd like to know if this, or something more specific, would work better.
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
"do something, anything" challenge
That looks good to me.
Mike

Sent from my pocket calculator using two tin cans and a string
(03-09-2021, 07:31 AM)Tyson Rayles Wrote: "do something, anything" challenge
That looks good to me.
Ya, I have been wanting to build a "modern" billboard, or for years been wanting to make some of the wig wags like the CNW had just a couple blocks from my house, would have to put a road in too for it, or cripes, I have a few other projects I would like to do Thumbsup . 

How long do we have to do it in?
[Image: sig2.jpg]-Deano
[Image: up_turb10k_r.gif]
(03-09-2021, 12:20 PM)UP SD40-2 Wrote:
(03-09-2021, 07:31 AM)Tyson Rayles Wrote: "do something, anything" challenge
That looks good to me.
Ya, I have been wanting to build a "modern" billboard, or for years been wanting to make some of the wig wags like the CNW had just a couple blocks from my house, would have to put a road in too for it, or cripes, I have a few other projects I would like to do Thumbsup . 

How long do we have to do it in?

I'm thinking maybe three months. Start the end of this month and go to the end of June. Gives us a couple of weeks to think about what to do as well as a bit of planning. I'm open if we should take more time....

I think the "do something, anything" is like firing a scatter gun, you can't help but hit the target. In other words, it's so broad, everyone can find something they'd enjoy doing. Kevin has a few ideas, and a few others as well, this would fit them all.

Give it more thought, I'm listening.
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
Sounds like a plan. My biggest problem could be picking which one.
Tom
Silence is golden but Duct tape is silver
Ridley Keystone & Mountain Railroad
My Rail Images Gallery