Donnie's Art Shoppe
Making some progress, got the hole in the floor repaired just minutes before the building inspector showed up. He'll never know. He was not concerned about the pit in the rear floor when we told him we were digging a well. Icon_rolleyes

Working on the front porch details, got to even out the wood floor color a bit, but at least it's painted. The sign above is suppose to read, "GeneraL", but the 3D printer didn't quite make all the letters, looks like the lettering is in Klingon. I needed to grind it off anyway so I can use it to inset a new sign. That worked out OK.

I took a photo of the brush that I'm using for detailing the small stuff,  It's marked 5/0 and I'm not sure, but that "5" might be the number of bristles left on it. Icon_e_surprised  I have another one marked 10/0 which should be even smaller, but it isn't. I think this one is just worn down, but it works for what I'm doing. Still tricky getting past those posts on the porch. They're next to be painted after the doors.

Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
founder of the CANYON STATE RAILROAD
Is there an upstairs apartment in that building or is it just storage?
Charlie
(07-13-2021, 10:16 AM)Charlie B Wrote: Is there an upstairs apartment in that building or is it just storage?
Charlie

As you can see from the interior of the store, there is no storage. The upstairs is split, a small efficiency apartment for the owner that she uses when she's not at her villa outside of town, and the rest is storage.

You do realize that this structure is not up to code. No emergency fire exit and just a ladder to access the second floor. But fortunately, it's grandfathered in since it dates back to the Victorian era.
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
Don, I sit here in awe Icon_e_surprised , you really do great work in N scale, no idea how you do it, I've done N and had to quit Icon_redface  , your work really blows me away Worship .
[Image: sig2.jpg]-Deano
[Image: up_turb10k_r.gif]
Thank you Deano, Icon_redface Icon_redface  just that I look at things a lot different and I think everyone else here does a lot better than anything I do. Maybe because I spent all that time looking at what I've accomplished and see all the flaws. If there's any secrets behind my getting anything done in N scale it's that I do about 80% of it under a magnifier lamp, I have some really small brushes, I spent a career working with very small electronic parts and I guess I have a bit more patience than some folks. After all that, I still don't think my work compares with a lot that I see here on Big Blue.
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
Just an update, there are a couple of things that I notice about this model. For one, I would have thought the exterior would be made in one piece, but it's not. At first, I thought the doors were movable, but they're not. It looks like the porch and all the details on it, including the doors are separate and joined to the body with a series of mortise and tenons, (or holes and tabs). They are joined permanently at the roof line. I wish they were removable, but it's way too late to even try.

Another thing is that the interior is loose fitting to the exterior by about a good 1/8". That, and the interior floor sits above the porch floor by a 1/16". The building inspector called that a "trip hazard", for which I will compensate by sinking the interior a bit when I put it in place. I will try to secure the exterior in such a way that it is removable, maybe use some Velcro or clips of some sort.
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
Wonderful work Don! I have a Blair Line general store that your building was probably based on. I just glued photos to the inside of the windows but no one can really see them unless they really go out of their way to lean over and reallyyy squint!!!! Maybe if I had left the porch roof off?
Mike

Sent from my pocket calculator using two tin cans and a string
Thanks Mike, I keep trying, but always doubting. Waiting 

Just in case I'm giving the wrong impression, I'm not complaining about this model, just giving my observations. It is remarkably detailed that could not be achieved if it was in kit form. There is nothing about it that can't be dealt with. if someone had it and left it untouched, that would make it a collector's item, but since it's going on my layout, it needs to look finished. I am pleased to have it. Icon_e_biggrin

Did a little more painting. Since this is Victorian, I thought a copper roof would keep the style of that era. I have aged copper paint, just debating whether to oxidize it a bit. It doesn't look like new copper, but it's a bit too clean and homogeneous looking for something that's been around as long as this building has.

Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
Great work Don. Hard to believe it is N scale.
Tom
Silence is golden but Duct tape is silver
Ridley Keystone & Mountain Railroad
My Rail Images Gallery
You might try brushing some green pastel chalk on the copper roof Don. If you don't like the results you spray it with dullcote and the chalk should disappear.
Mike

Sent from my pocket calculator using two tin cans and a string
I think Mike has a good idea with the green chalk, but I have seen many copper roofs that are now completely green so you have quite an option there. 
Charlie
Thanks guys, I appreciate to positive comments. I've already did a bit of spotting with some green and black paint. Too much and I can just overpaint it. I checked Google for Victorian copper roofs and yeah, some are 100% green, but still streaked with a bit of white and black. Got lots of choices and the time to play around. I'll try the chalk thing too, just to see if I can get it more realistic looking.
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
(07-15-2021, 07:37 AM)ezdays Wrote: Thanks guys, I appreciate to positive comments. I've already did a bit of spotting with some green and black paint. Too much and I can just overpaint it. I checked Google for Victorian copper roofs and yeah, some are 100% green, but still streaked with a bit of white and black. Got lots of choices and the time to play around. I'll try the chalk thing too, just to see if I can get it more realistic looking.

Don, I think you are modeling modern day so you could paint the roof to a color of modern day steel roofing. One color is penny brite copper. There is also a green and blue. Different styles and manufactures offer all different colors so you could get away with anything.  You could even place a little sign in the yard advertising the metal roofing company so they would give you a hefty discount. 
Charlie
(07-15-2021, 08:40 AM)Charlie B Wrote:
(07-15-2021, 07:37 AM)ezdays Wrote: Thanks guys, I appreciate to positive comments. I've already did a bit of spotting with some green and black paint. Too much and I can just overpaint it. I checked Google for Victorian copper roofs and yeah, some are 100% green, but still streaked with a bit of white and black. Got lots of choices and the time to play around. I'll try the chalk thing too, just to see if I can get it more realistic looking.

Don, I think you are modeling modern day so you could paint the roof to a color of modern day steel roofing. One color is penny brite copper. There is also a green and blue. Different styles and manufactures offer all different colors so you could get away with anything.  You could even place a little sign in the yard advertising the metal roofing company so they would give you a hefty discount. 
Charlie

There is a Historic District on my layout cared for by the "Society for the Preservation of Old Things", (ie: SPOT), and they're insisting that I maintain the Victorian era look before they'll let me place this building anywhere near that area. As it is, they've graciously agreed to extend the Historic District to the empty lot across the street, so I'd better listen to these folks... Antique copper is the material of choice and still getting a discount from the roofing company. Applause
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
Long time ago, my wife was looking out over Toronto and marvelling that so many rooves were done the same green colour.
David
Moderato ma non troppo
Perth & Exeter Railway Company
Esquesing & Chinguacousy Radial Railway
In model railroading, there are between six and two hundred ways of performing a given task.
Most modellers can get two of them to work.