20 years ago today
It's Saturday, Sept. 11th..........It's hard to believe that there are young people, teenagers that can only know about this day 20 years ago, by reading about it or from older folk like ourselves. We came together as one nation, I remember the sadness, the outrage, and just about everyone had a flag on their house or vehicle. We supported and respected our firefighters, police and those in the service, here and abroad. We were picked on and we fought back. The might of the United States of American was not to be trifled with.

Today is a different story, we want to remember and we certainly don't want anything like this to happen again, but we are no longer acting as one nation. We are all in little groups, no flags allowed, take a knee during the Nation Anthem, stick our heads in the sand when we get picked on, blame everyone in the past for what's happening now and find fault with everyone that's trying to protect us. We seem to want to make excuses for everything and allow our enemies to run over us. We are tying the hands of those that want to defend us from the bad guys.

No, this is not a political statement but a reflection on how things have changed. It's just that it's upsetting to see that everyone in the world is looking at what's going on here in wonderment and more upsetting that we forget too easily. If you live in the UNITED STATES OF AMERICA, then stand up and shout, "I'm mad a hell and I won't take it anymore", then unite once again because there are those here that are uniting against us. I just hope it doesn't take another 9/11 to bring us back together like we were 20 years ago.
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
founder of the CANYON STATE RAILROAD
Well said Don!
Mike

Sent from my pocket calculator using two tin cans and a string
(09-12-2021, 05:05 AM)Tyson Rayles Wrote: Well said Don!

Thank you Mike, I think a lot of folks think this way, they're just not speaking up. I was bullied in grammar school, I think a lot of us were and never spoke up or fought back. We need to change that kind of thinking. We were united 20 years ago and we fought back, I wish we had that same spirit today.
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
How well I remember this day. It brought home to America what was happening all over the rest of the world. Sadly the folks that were too young to experience it first hand don't care even to the point of denying that is was a certain section of a group that did it, you know the phrase. "some people did something"
I have one grandson that went to college for 2 years. It took him 6 years to realize a lot of what he learned just isn't so. I only hope others do the same.  It isn't political, it is common sense. It should be practiced by everyone. 

Charlie
(09-12-2021, 12:04 PM)Charlie B Wrote: ....It isn't political, it is common sense. It should be practiced by everyone. 

Charlie

I agree, Charlie, but common sense seems to be in short supply these days.

Wayne
Yeah, a little common sense can go a long way, can you imagine what a lot of common sense could do? Been watching a lot of historical programs lately, and I'm starting to back off. Too many show old castles and forts used for defensive purposes and prisons, all dating back thousands of years, and weapons dating from the stone age to now. Ships sunk in battles through the ages and miles of tunnels dug to hide in. Kind of like no one is happy with the status quo, no one learns from the past. It's a pity that so much is destroyed and so many people lost over the ages, I hope and pray that common sense will prevail and it will stop. Not political, not religious, just commenting on the state of things as I see them and wishing the best for those that follow us. 9/11 should have been a wake up call.
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
A few years ago there was a listing of things that make you feel old....
Someone graduating from 12th grade this year..... (18 - 19 yrs old)
Never saw a 3-1/2 floppy drive used in a computer
Never saw the Twin Towers in person
Barely remembers CD Drives (not DVD)
Doesn't comprehend the late 60's movement and comraderies' either "for" OR "Against" Viet-Nam
Never experienced "Cold War" anxiety
Never used a wall hung phone let alone a "Dial" phone.
Has most likely never used a VCR
Has never "needed" to have film developed
Has most never put Polaroid film under their arms to help the picture develop
Has never and probably will never have to sign their paycheck. -- Direct Deposit started almost globally in 2001

Makes you think of what else they are not being taught in school.... War history, genocide, Moon landings etc....
They learn of 9/11 as we learned about the Korean Conflict and WWI & WWII.
Most of us were not there, but we Always Respect those who were....and those who died.
~~ Mikey KB3VBR (Admin)
~~ NARA Member # 75    
~~ Baldwin Eddystone Unofficial Website

~~ I wonder what that would look like in 1:20.3???
Lots of things that I remember that I didn't quite understand at the time, but makes me feel old now,

Standing in line waiting for a couple of bags of handout groceries, (called the "bread line"), since most people were out of work
Blackouts and air raid sirens
Cars with black covers over their headlights with just a small slit to see where you're going
The bombing at Pearl Harbor
The president's "day of infamy" speech
Newspaper headlines everyday about the war somewhere else.
Long lines at gas stations, most cars with "A" stickers showing their level of rationing
Ration books for food and lines at the grocery stores trying to get enough to feed the family.
Milk, and egg home delivery
Ice wagons pulled by horses for delivery to your home ice box.
Stoves heated by coal or wood, no gas, no electricity
Open beer trucks full of kegs, no bottles, no cans.
Five cent trolley and bus rides

Notice that most of these things were a result of a war going on. There were a few more after that one, but not quite as harsh on the general population, but just as bad for those fighting on other lands.
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and