Building a Module; CAT Equipment Rental Building
Icon_lol

I have BOTH of those same cranes. They are VERY nice!!!

Cant wait to see it the layout!!! Thumbsup
Hey Combat, they arrived yesterday off the UPS truck Misngth

I opened them up and took the packing off of them and set them on the layout. I was going to take some pics and post them last night, but there was not enough light and it was too dark lol. So this morning i woke up and set up a scene. The crane takes up the entire old bridge so i had to do something in the way of setting up a road closed area due to bridge widening. But i also had to make it so that trucks could still get to Great West Pre-Stress. So here is the scene i set up this morning. I closed the road at the entrance of the CAT Dealer and made it so that only trucks traveling to Great West Pre-Stress and to the construction site could enter the closed road, all other traffic is detoured off the module.... lol

[Image: SL372300.jpg]

[Image: SL372301.jpg]

[Image: SL372303.jpg]

[Image: SL372304.jpg]

[Image: SL372306.jpg]

[Image: SL372307.jpg]

[Image: SL372308.jpg]

[Image: SL372309.jpg]

[Image: SL372310.jpg]

[Image: SL372311.jpg]

[Image: SL372312.jpg]

[Image: SL372313.jpg]

[Image: SL372314.jpg]
Josh Mader

Maders Trains
Offering everyday low prices for the Model Railroad World
Great-looking vehicles and scenes, too. Thumbsup I wish there was as much available in the way of vehicles for my modelling era of the 1930s, although I probably couldn't afford them all anyway. Misngth

Wayne
Those new cranes look great!

Ralph
doctorwayne Wrote:Great-looking vehicles and scenes, too. Thumbsup I wish there was as much available in the way of vehicles for my modelling era of the 1930s, although I probably couldn't afford them all anyway. Misngth

Wayne

Ralph Wrote:Those new cranes look great!

Ralph

Thanks Wayne and Ralph Misngth
Josh Mader

Maders Trains
Here are some more pics i just took because i was bored lol

[Image: SL372315.jpg]

[Image: SL372316.jpg]

[Image: SL372317.jpg]

[Image: SL372318.jpg]

[Image: SL372319.jpg]

[Image: SL372320.jpg]

[Image: SL372323.jpg]

[Image: SL372325.jpg]
Josh Mader

Maders Trains
The Great West Pre-Stress finally started cranking the pre-cast panels out, so not the yard is stocked up. Some panels are already being shipped out. (I know the tiny junky forklift isn't prototypical for large concrete panels, but its the only forklift I've got right now Eek lol)

[Image: SL372354.jpg]

[Image: SL372357.jpg]

[Image: SL372360.jpg]

[Image: SL372365.jpg]

[Image: SL372366.jpg]

[Image: SL372353.jpg]

[Image: SL372352.jpg]
Josh Mader

Maders Trains
Looks good, Josh, but you need some "scabs" between those piled pre-cast sections so that the operator can get the forks under the section which he wants to lift. Some basswood or styrene strips of an appropriate thickness will do the trick - of course, if you use styrene, paint it to look like wood. Goldth

Wayne
doctorwayne Wrote:Looks good, Josh, but you need some "scabs" between those piled pre-cast sections so that the operator can get the forks under the section which he wants to lift. Some basswood or styrene strips of an appropriate thickness will do the trick - of course, if you use styrene, paint it to look like wood. Goldth

Wayne

Forgot to mention that lol. I need to get some 6x6"x8' pieces of lumber to put in between each of those slabs. And of coarse i need a new forkilft that would be more to prototype and scale lol

out here in Cali, we call the "scabs" stickers lol Misngth
Josh Mader

Maders Trains
Yeah, they call them either scabs or stickers here, too. I had a "senior moment", Eek and couldn't think of "stickers". 35 Misngth

Wayne
I think you should worry about the stress loaded on the bridge from the crane, over the forklift picking up concrete Goldth
Tom

Model Conrail

PM me to get a hold of me.
doctorwayne Wrote:Yeah, they call them either scabs or stickers here, too. I had a "senior moment", Eek and couldn't think of "stickers". 35 Misngth

Icon_lol im only 19 and i have some of those moments everyonce in a while, is that bad? Eek Misngth

tomustang Wrote:I think you should worry about the stress loaded on the bridge from the crane, over the forklift picking up concrete Goldth

Icon_lol Would it really pose a problem? the bridge they widened near me not to long ago they used the same cranes that i have (the one thats on the bridge and the blue one thats "not in use") and they didnt have any problems from what i saw just about every day. The crane was used and on the bridge for quite a while while building the expansion to make it from 2 lanes two lanes to four, a similar thing im doing to mine lol
Josh Mader

Maders Trains
Okay so, here is the roads now. I have decided that road striping will NOT be necessary. This is because the road is closed due to the bridge expansion.

The road repairs were filled in. I left them a little rough, i wanted to show just a rough and quick patch, but after painting, you cant even tell the areas were rough lol

Here is a pic of what the roads looked like before the patching, as i said in my last post, i cut up quite a bit of the old road as i found out that more was damaged then i had thought

[Image: SL372329.jpg]

Here are 2 pics after the areas were filled with new and improved "white asphalt" Misngth

[Image: SL372368.jpg]

[Image: SL372370.jpg]

After letting the patches dry completely over night, i painted them and added some details to the scene simulating a small stock yard of materials that would be used to build a new bridge. Some pipes for drainage, some sheet re-bar for the forms, sacks of concrete or mortar with a few pallets of bricks, a few tarped pallets, a stock pile of cones and barriers, and some other various small details. These were all stacked and set on the side of the road.

I also blocked off the road at the entrance for the CAT rental building and equipment yard so no traffic can come through to the bridge constructions site. Only truck traffic for the Great West Pre-Stress is allowed to come through the closed road..... Ive also put up some of the guard rails. There was a section that got broken in half, so i just used some cones and kinda made it looks like as if it needs to be repaired after an accident lol

Here are a few pics of the new patches, construction details and the new guard rails

[Image: SL372375.jpg]

[Image: SL372376.jpg]

[Image: SL372377.jpg]

[Image: SL372378.jpg]

[Image: SL372379.jpg]

[Image: SL372380.jpg]

[Image: SL372381.jpg]

[Image: SL372382.jpg]

[Image: SL372383.jpg]

[Image: SL372384.jpg]

[Image: SL372389.jpg]

[Image: SL372393.jpg]

[Image: SL372394.jpg]

[Image: SL372396.jpg]

[Image: SL372398.jpg]

[Image: SL372399.jpg]

[Image: SL372400.jpg]

[Image: SL372402.jpg]

[Image: SL372404.jpg]

[Image: SL372405.jpg]

[Image: SL372406.jpg]

[Image: SL372407.jpg]

[Image: SL372408.jpg]

[Image: SL372409.jpg]

[Image: SL372411.jpg]

[Image: SL372415.jpg]

Next up on the things to do is

1. finish the guard rails on the left and right side of the module
2. add dirt/weeds along the bottom of the guard rails
3. repair the CAT Rental Equipment Yard
4. start the bridge expansion for the new bridge
5. paint front edge of module brown
Josh Mader

Maders Trains
There are only two seasons. Winter and Roadwork! I see Roadwork is in full swing on your project there Josh. 357

People man! You need some people. I was looking at one of the photos and thinking to myself, "Man all that kid needs is a flagman or some dude slugging a sledgehammer."

Lots to look at. Love the cranes!
tetters Wrote:There are only two seasons. Winter and Roadwork! I see Roadwork is in full swing on your project there Josh. 357

People man! You need some people. I was looking at one of the photos and thinking to myself, "Man all that kid needs is a flagman or some dude slugging a sledgehammer."

Lots to look at. Love the cranes!

Thanks Tetters!!! Roadwork Season is always in full swing on my layouts and modules year round, the people that live and work on my layouts hate it, there are always major traffic delays and detours due to nearly every road being closed or under construction Misngth Misngth

People, yes, yes i do need some people. I have a few, but not nearly enough. My problem is right now, i dont have money to buy them right now lol

Thanks again for the comments Goldth 2285_
Josh Mader

Maders Trains