Building a Module; CAT Equipment Rental Building
Okay so here are some new pics. I finished the guard rails yesterday and also glued the dirt under the guard rails. While waiting for the dirt to dry, i began planting tall "weeds" all along the front of the module where the guard rail is. I used Woodland Scenics Field Grass in the Light Green and Gold Yellow colors mixed together. Some of them have more green, some more yellow, some about the same of each.

The guard rails are Rix Products kits that i assembled and made into long sections. The dirt under them is a sifted material i got from a bag of washed masonry sand. I got a few different grades from it, and it was a 50 pound bag, so i still have a ton left. It makes good river bases!!

The area on the left side of the bridge (8th picture) was just glued down this morning (the grass) so it is still white at the base from the scenic glue, but it will dry clear just like the others....

[Image: SL372416.jpg]

[Image: SL372418.jpg]

[Image: SL372419.jpg]

[Image: SL372420.jpg]

[Image: SL372421.jpg]

[Image: SL372422.jpg]

[Image: SL372423.jpg]

[Image: SL372424.jpg]

[Image: SL372425.jpg]

[Image: SL372427.jpg]
Josh Mader

Maders Trains
Offering everyday low prices for the Model Railroad World
Started working on this module again after looking at it while laying in bed last night. I got some ideas flowing and now im going to make those ideas a reality LOL

First off is to completely tear out the bridge over the small creek. Ill be doing a full blown bridge construction scene for this area. Part of the bridge will be completed so traffic can still go through , while the other part of the bridge will be going through an expansion. Lots of construction equipment and typical messy job site will be a must

Second I need to fix the road along the front of the module. Its taken some abuse and needs to be patched and some sections repainted. I am thinking of laying down "patches" when repainting the road.

Third I need to completely redo the Great West Pre-Stress yard and the entire CAT Rental yard, as both of them did not get glued down properly and started cracking. Come to find out, I lifted a small section in both yards and well the whole yard came up and separated from the foam base. I had a sheet of ballast Eek LOL To fix this ill lay down a layer of plaster cloth in each yard so the ballast and glue will have something to stick to rather then the smooth foam surface.

Supplies to remake the bridge and to redo the yards were ordered yesterday and should be in next week. Progress to come soon!
Josh Mader

Maders Trains
By the way, all pictures have been restored in this thread, they all should be showing now....
Josh Mader

Maders Trains
Got a little bit of an update here. Been working on what I can until the supplies come in next week.

I repainted a section of the road that runs along the front of the module, and then laid some k-rails out to separate the road while the bridge is under construction.

[Image: SL370013.jpg]

I also started laying some plaster cloth down in the CAT Rental yard, but ran out half way, so i will have to finish that when the supplies come in next week. After that has been covered in the plaster cloth, i can then reballast the yard like the one for Great West Pre-Stress

Trees were removed from the left side of the river and wholes were patched with more ground cover.

[Image: SL370011.jpg]

I further prepped the bridge expansion areas where the new forms for the bridge abutments will be poured. The abutments that are in place right now will support the new bridge that will be installed once I get the supplies in. Its a modern concrete bridge, but on the left side will be old wrought iron railings, ill demo part of it and place k-rails down on the bridge and make it as if they are taking the wrought iron rails out and replacing them with modern concrete safety barriers. There will only be one lane open on the bridge, and I need to find a flagman to place on the right side of the bridge directing traffic, but i don't recall anyone making and figures like that so ill have to see what i can do there.

[Image: SL370012.jpg]

[Image: SL370015.jpg]

I found some leftover ballast and just enough plaster cloth to complete the Great West Pre-Stress yard. It is now reballasted and will hopefully not crack and lift like the last time...

More progress to come soon
Josh Mader

Maders Trains
Started adding a few details along the wall of the CAT Rental Yard. This section of the street was blocked off with k-rails and will be used for bridge construction storage. I started placing several pallets of concrete block along the wall. as well as a few pallets of sacks. Another truck is parked outside Great West Pre-Stress delivering the last 6 pallets of block and a few more pallets of concrete mix. I now realize I need a larger job site forklift, and I think the GHQ Gradall Forklift would be a good choice, so ill have to order one of those and paint it up in the traditional Gradall Blue and decal it. A yellow 40' Flatbed Trailer has also been backed in down the narrow shoulder that is blocked off by the k-rails. Its just being stored for right now, but im sure that the construction company will need it for some equipment or on another job site sooner or later.

Job site port-a-johns are a must as well! I placed 2 of them next to each other, and will have to get at least 2 more to place in the main bridge storage yard (which will be located in the patch of dirt to the left of the creek, where the Front Loader is in the pictures in my last post)

Here are some pictures:

[Image: SL370016.jpg]

[Image: SL370017.jpg]

[Image: SL370018.jpg]

[Image: SL370019.jpg]

[Image: SL370020.jpg]
Josh Mader

Maders Trains
Preiser has a Street Repair Crew, or you might be able to do something with Modern Workmen with Safety Vests.

Wayne
You sure know your construction site details. That big steel plate in the road reminds me of the one that wrecked my ball joint once Icon_lol The whole module is looking good!
--
Kevin
Check out my Shapeways creations!
3-d printed items in HO/HOn3 and more!
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kevin-s-model-train-detail-parts">https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kevin-s ... tail-parts</a><!-- m -->
doctorwayne Wrote:Preiser has a Street Repair Crew, or you might be able to do something with Modern Workmen with Safety Vests.

Wayne

Thanks Wayne, Looked at both of them and then started looking at their other products. I see they have a flagman that is not out yet, still says TBA...

http://www.walthers.com/exec/productinfo/590-27002

Apparently this guy actually moves... lol

I already have a bunch of Woodland Scenics Construction Works, but im also thinking about getting these ones for various spots in the bridge construction scene:

http://www.walthers.com/exec/productinfo/590-14034
http://www.walthers.com/exec/productinfo/590-10512
http://www.walthers.com/exec/productinfo/590-10445
http://www.walthers.com/exec/productinfo/590-10420
http://www.walthers.com/exec/productinfo/590-10338
http://www.walthers.com/exec/productinfo/590-10220
http://www.walthers.com/exec/productinfo/590-10038
http://www.walthers.com/exec/productinfo/590-28032
Josh Mader

Maders Trains
nachoman Wrote:You sure know your construction site details. That big steel plate in the road reminds me of the one that wrecked my ball joint once Icon_lol The whole module is looking good!

LOL thanks Kevin Misngth

This is only the start, I have alot more work to do, I want to make this a messy job site just like a typical construction site is...

I have a ton of those steel plates too LOL.
Josh Mader

Maders Trains
Thanks guys, got the new bridge in yesterday, started it last night

The first thing I needed to do was make some new bridge abutments. I built some forms and then backfilled them with some talus, then topped it off with Woodland Scenics Mold-A-Scene Plaster. Once the Plaster had set (about 30 mins) I took the forms out and then applied more Plaster to the outside surface of each abutment. Let them dry overnight, and then applied another thin coat of plaster this morning.

I then cut the bridge deck and glued it together. Each side was cut at an angle to match the embankment. Then the beams were glued together and cut to length, laid on the Bridge Abutment and then glued the deck to them.

After that I started gluing the rails to the outside of the deck. My plan for the rails is to have part of it finished, a new section with forms getting ready for the concrete pour, and then part of the old rails still in place with workers removing them getting them ready for the new forms for the new rails. If you will notice in the pictures below, I roughed up a small part of the old rail foundation and will have a worker with a jackhammer chipping away at the old rails. I glued one of the old wrought iron rails in, and then glued the other at an angle as if it was being removed. Ill put a welder on the side of the rail that is still hanging on as if he is torching it and cutting it away from the old rails foundation and piers.

[Image: SL370038.jpg]

[Image: SL370039.jpg]

i wont be painting the bridge abutments. Im going for the look that they are old and run down, and aging quickly. Kinda like the new extension is being built, and once completed, they will move to the old bridge and refurbish it and repair the abutments. Here are a couple shots from under the bridge where the creek runs under

[Image: SL370041.jpg]

[Image: SL370042.jpg]

These next few pictures are just some shots to show how some of the details will be laid out. I added some steel plates on either side of the bridge to show they have been working, and then added some temporary asphalt patches to the edges of the plates. The K-Rails that run along the bridge rails are to protect the workers who will be working on the demolition of old bridge rails and the construction of the new ones. The one K-Rail that is placed on the other side of the bridge is where another row of K-Rails will be laid the length of the bridge and traffic will go down the middle. I still need to get 2 flagmen (one for each side of the bridge) that will direct traffic across the narrowed one lane bridge

[Image: SL370035.jpg]

[Image: SL370036.jpg]

[Image: SL370037.jpg]

[Image: SL370040.jpg]

More progress pics to come soon Misngth
Josh Mader

Maders Trains
A few construction details that stand out in my mind from my drive to work are the ubiquitous flag person (usually women, lately) with the two-sided sign on a pole and those heavy metal 'walls' for trenching work. You know, the big steel plates with the rods in between that get dropped into a trench to prevent the sides caving in and burying the pipe fitters alive.

A cool animation would be those two sided flagman signs that flip around together. That is, on one side it's a stop sign, on the other it says 'slow'. When one person's sign says stop the other says slow, then they flip to allow the other lane of traffic to pass by. Some sort of cam and loop pulley system would work to periodically change them. Visitors may not notice unless they happen to catch it, but then they'd watch to see it happen again!

Nice work all around. You're really capturing the feeling of a construction zone. Alot to hold a viewer's interest.

Galen
I may not be a rivet counter, but I sure do like rivets!
Josh, one more thing you need to do is get them cats dirty! The only time in it's life when a Cat is spotlessly clean is when it is brand new at the dealer waiting for delivery to a customer. After the first day of work, they will get dirty and only get dirtier from there!
ocalicreek Wrote:A few construction details that stand out in my mind from my drive to work are the ubiquitous flag person (usually women, lately) with the two-sided sign on a pole and those heavy metal 'walls' for trenching work. You know, the big steel plates with the rods in between that get dropped into a trench to prevent the sides caving in and burying the pipe fitters alive.

A cool animation would be those two sided flagman signs that flip around together. That is, on one side it's a stop sign, on the other it says 'slow'. When one person's sign says stop the other says slow, then they flip to allow the other lane of traffic to pass by. Some sort of cam and loop pulley system would work to periodically change them. Visitors may not notice unless they happen to catch it, but then they'd watch to see it happen again!

Nice work all around. You're really capturing the feeling of a construction zone. Alot to hold a viewer's interest.

Galen

Ahhhh yes the trench boxes! I think I can make a few of those, those would be great details! I dont think they would fit this construction site as no pipe is being laid and no trenches are being dug, but I could use them for some other scenes, and those fairly basic in design lol

Preiser is coming out with an animated flagman, but who knows when it will be released. If they ever come out ill get 2 of them for this scene LOL
Josh Mader

Maders Trains
Russ Bellinis Wrote:Josh, one more thing you need to do is get them cats dirty! The only time in it's life when a Cat is spotlessly clean is when it is brand new at the dealer waiting for delivery to a customer. After the first day of work, they will get dirty and only get dirtier from there!

LOL yes, I agree, my equipment is WAY to clean! I will have to work on some weathering on them to dirty them up and make them look like they have seen many hours of hard work
Josh Mader

Maders Trains
Got a little more work done on the new forms for the new abutments.

I was looking at some pictures of some bridges that are being expanded in real life and was noticing some of the details. One thing I noticed was the very large steel beams that were placed vertically in the ground with the steel plates behind them as in these 2 pictures:

[Image: ballona-2475-800.jpg]

[Image: Picture2_800.jpg]

I made my version using Evergreen beams and some cut up steel plates that I usually use for the steel plates to cover wholes on the streets. The other wood form that has been set infront of the steel beams and plates is the form that will make the front of the abutment. I still need to make another form that buts up against the vertical steel beams to make the back of the front wall for the abutment. Once I do that Ill stick a bunch of re-bar sticking up vertically coming out the top.

Ive also laid some more Plaster down to carve the access ramps to get down to the work area on both sides of the bridge. I havnt started the other abutment on the other side of the bridge, but this one will be further along then the one that is pictured below and the form for the front wall of the abutment will have already been removed and the wall will have been poured and the next phase will be in progress.

Here are some more pictures

[Image: SL370043.jpg]

[Image: SL370044.jpg]

[Image: SL370045.jpg]

[Image: SL370046.jpg]

[Image: SL370047.jpg]

[Image: SL370048.jpg]

[Image: SL370051.jpg]
Josh Mader

Maders Trains