Building a Module; CAT Equipment Rental Building
I added some more detail to the form. I made the rear form wall that will form the rear wall of the front wall for the abutment. I also cut some re-bar and planted them in stick vertically up inside the form. I think its coming out pretty neat, what do you think?

[Image: SL370052.jpg]

[Image: SL370053.jpg]
Josh Mader

Maders Trains
Offering everyday low prices for the Model Railroad World
very impressive! And you are getting it done much faster than caltrans! Icon_lol

Seriously - you need more workers. You need two standing around for every one that is working Goldth . And cops. Around here when I see highway construction (especially on main highways), there is often a highway patrol car at each end of the construction zone with lights flashing to warn traffic. I remember being on a business trip one week and having my hotel in one town and the job in a town 60 miles away. In between was a crew doing re-paving. A highway patrolman was warning traffic at both ends of the construction zone. When I drove by every morning I saw him sitting in his car eating his doughnut and drinking his coffee (I kid you not!). For large construction projects, we have signs that inform people what the project is and how much they have completed. Flashing arrow signs are also common when there is a lane change (I assume someone makes those in HO ???)
--
Kevin
Check out my Shapeways creations!
3-d printed items in HO/HOn3 and more!
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kevin-s-model-train-detail-parts">https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kevin-s ... tail-parts</a><!-- m -->
nachoman Wrote:very impressive! And you are getting it done much faster than caltrans! Icon_lol

Seriously - you need more workers. You need two standing around for every one that is working Goldth . And cops. Around here when I see highway construction (especially on main highways), there is often a highway patrol car at each end of the construction zone with lights flashing to warn traffic. I remember being on a business trip one week and having my hotel in one town and the job in a town 60 miles away. In between was a crew doing re-paving. A highway patrolman was warning traffic at both ends of the construction zone. When I drove by every morning I saw him sitting in his car eating his doughnut and drinking his coffee (I kid you not!). For large construction projects, we have signs that inform people what the project is and how much they have completed. Flashing arrow signs are also common when there is a lane change (I assume someone makes those in HO ???)

Thanks Kevin!! Misngth Misngth

This scene will be flooded with construction workers once I get farther along with it. I havnt placed any out yet because I dont want to keep knocking them over and they will just be in the way LOL

A cop on each side of the construction site is a neat idea. Ill have to see if I can find a cop on a motorcycle and then another in a squad car to place on each end of the module. Anyone know if anyone makes a cop on a motorcycle?

There is a complany that makes the large trailer signs with the flashing arrows, and I believe they even light up and there is one you can buy that says a few different things having do with constructions. I havnt bought any of them because in my opinion they look kinda cheesy and dont really look much like the ones I see around here. Maybe ill get on of them and take a closer look at them lol
Josh Mader

Maders Trains
Some more updates

I added some more 6x6 posts to the right side abutment form. It looked like there wasnt enough of them and looked kinda bare, so i added some more

I also made the left abutments front wall. This side I wanted to show as if the construction crew was farther along on this side then the right side. The left side has the abutments front wall poured, with re-bar sticking out the top. I also planted the large vertical beams and the steel plates behind the beam, and then backfilled them in

Dirt was added to both access ramps and glued in place. The left ramp is still wet (was just glued down about 20 mins ago) so that is why it may look darker.

Here's some pics

[Image: SL370054.jpg]

[Image: SL370055.jpg]

[Image: SL370056.jpg]

[Image: SL370057.jpg]

[Image: SL370058.jpg]
Josh Mader

Maders Trains
Josh, I haven't seen any cops on motorcycles at construction sites. I think they don't want to sit out in the weather. The cop in the car can stay comfortable. If it is hot out, he has the car idling with the a/c on; and if it is cold, he has the car idling with the heater on.
Russ Bellinis Wrote:Josh, I haven't seen any cops on motorcycles at construction sites. I think they don't want to sit out in the weather. The cop in the car can stay comfortable. If it is hot out, he has the car idling with the a/c on; and if it is cold, he has the car idling with the heater on.

LOL that makes sense... I think ill only be able to add one Police Car on this module though, and it will have to be over by the CAT Equipment Rental yard, I ran out of room on the left side of the module and there wont be a place for another to sit over there lol
Josh Mader

Maders Trains
I made the safety railing that runs along the bridge side that is being expanded. This temporary railing was put in place for workers working on the bridge so they dont fall off the side of the bridge and injure themselves. Its made from scale 4x4's and 2x4's. I also added some K-Rails and cones to direct the traffic on either side of the bridge.

[Image: SL370059.jpg]

[Image: SL370060.jpg]

[Image: SL370061.jpg]

[Image: SL370062.jpg]
Josh Mader

Maders Trains
Josh ...

All this work to be done ... all by this one little pudgy guy with a jack hammer! I hope he gets paid well! Having to drive several trucks, some heavy equipment, plant I-beams with a crane, tie up rebar ... I'm getting tired and achey just typing all that stuff! Wink

Do you thnk that he will get help anytime soon? Big Grin 357 Icon_lol
biL

Lehigh Susquehanna & Western 

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." ~~Abraham Lincoln
looks good, That riverbed with the WS water came out real nice.
 My other car is a locomotive, ARHS restoration crew  
P5se Camelback Wrote:Josh ...

All this work to be done ... all by this one little pudgy guy with a jack hammer! I hope he gets paid well! Having to drive several trucks, some heavy equipment, plant I-beams with a crane, tie up rebar ... I'm getting tired and achey just typing all that stuff! Wink

Do you thnk that he will get help anytime soon? Big Grin 357 Icon_lol

Bil,

Icon_lol yes, well currently all of the work IS being done by that one poor lonely guy with the jackhammer. But just think of how much money he is making a day! BTW, because he is the only worker on the job presently, the construction site has seen 63 days of injury free reports!

But seriously, ill litter the scene with construction workers once I get farther along. I just dont want them getting in the way, and I want to get everything laid out before I place the workmen in there spots where they will stand their entire lives Eek Misngth I know if I start placing them now, Ill want to put another detail in their spot and will have to move them LOL

e-paw Wrote:looks good, That riverbed with the WS water came out real nice.

Thanks Steve! Misngth
Josh Mader

Maders Trains
Got the temporary walkway up for the right side of the bridge. Ive only done the walkway for the section of railing that has already been poured. I mounted some 4x4 posts extended out from under the bridge, and then glued 2 2x10's atop them. I havnt made the railing for this walkway yet, that will be the next thing I do. The tricky part is going to be extending the walkway, and making the form for the new section of concrete railing for the bridge....

[Image: SL370063.jpg]

[Image: SL370064.jpg]
Josh Mader

Maders Trains
That looks very nice! I will say that the number of figures you want to have should depend on how realistic you can make them look-judging from your efforts so far I'd say this shouldn't be a challenge for you Smile. If you can't make them look 'right' however it may be better to have none at all; the scene could very well be taking place after working hours. Actually a lot of road work-especially on busy highways-takes place at night now so a daytime scene might not have that many workers. Just my $0.02.