L&M Rocky Mountain Pass
Ok so this obviously won't be from the first day of the layout and I promise to not include uninteresting pics, and I hope these progress pics help others as much as others that posted there layout steps had helped me.
Oh K guys here it is its a bit out of date so just kinda sort it out with your imagiminations
By the way the grey matter is roadway ( yes I know what it looks like )
the perimeter rail starting in the lower left is a 3% grade going up then leveling off at the top left inside then declines from the top right to just below the sawmill then there's a 2% grade rail inside of that doing the same . And lots of bridges Smile

[Image: 200937183445_planbridge.jpg]
[Image: 200937183523_lower.jpg]
Lynn

New Adventure <!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href="http://bigbluetrains.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=9245">viewtopic.php?f=46&t=9245</a><!-- l -->

Great White North
Ontario,Canada
Here's the update on whats been accomplished.

Next step is to print out the main bech plan and start laying it out.
[Image: dscn08851bl.jpg]

[Image: dscn08868wm.jpg]

[Image: dscn08878cs.jpg]

[Image: dscn08888vg.jpg]

[Image: dscn08897kl.jpg]

[Image: dscn08903kn.jpg]

[Image: dscn08917er.jpg]

[Image: dscn08922ux.jpg]

[Image: dscn08933df.jpg]

[Image: dscn08949mq.jpg]

[Image: dscn08951vv.jpg]

[Image: dscn08967le.jpg]

[Image: dscn08970kl.jpg]

[Image: dscn08871xe.jpg]

[Image: dscn08987ax.jpg]

[Image: dscn09003bs.jpg]

[Image: dscn09019vl.jpg]

[Image: dscn09026pd.jpg]

[Image: dscn09049km.jpg]
Lynn

New Adventure <!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href="http://bigbluetrains.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=9245">viewtopic.php?f=46&t=9245</a><!-- l -->

Great White North
Ontario,Canada
I got the darn ds64's figured out finallyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy . Here's how it had to be hooked up with a seperate power supply although it could also be connected right to the track power.
The ds64's each putting out 4 addresses ( 4 addresses = 4 tortoise switches) also needed an individual board address ( this took some reading) There are 11 ds64's with starting address of 1 and last ds64 has address 44 .
[Image: ds641rs.jpg]
And the most recent achievements .
I got the right side yard\siding all installed . I have just 2 tortoise's left to install.
Its messy but I didn't want anyone thinking I took the summer off. I know it doesn't look like much but I haven't got a lot of spare time and I wanted everything lining up perfect.
[Image: dscn09376gp.jpg]
[Image: dscn09384bk.jpg]
Smile
Here's a bit of an update to what I've been upto I also included a few pics of items madmike threw in when I purchased a bunch of his diaramas and other scratch builds
here's one of a few real nice water towers
[Image: dscn0952fz8.jpg]

Over all 2 diaramas in place
[Image: dscn0953ma3.jpg]
no diarama here just couple steamers with odds and ends in the background of scratch builts
[Image: dscn0954rb0.jpg]
the rail has to be put in place for these guys to get to work ( turnout is already in place)
[Image: dscn0955xx1.jpg]
I cut the benchwork for the river and I will complete a couple more bridges
[Image: dscn0956th8.jpg]
My son and I had a few minutes so we tried to envision the new mountain \tunnel The mine will be propped in front and I will be using bragdon molds for the rocks
[Image: dscn0957qj9.jpg]
Another of the watertowers and thinking the Tannery may have found a new home
[Image: dscn0958wf6.jpg]
Rail to the chemical factory
[Image: dscn0959kk1.jpg]
From the chemical factory
[Image: dscn0963ib0.jpg]
Barnstead equipment
[Image: dscn0961lk5.jpg]
Another angle
[Image: dscn0962dx1.jpg]
Another water tower
[Image: dscn0965xb8.jpg]
Duffy's got rail
[Image: dscn0966mz5.jpg]
Stuffy's brwery waiting for its rail
[Image: dscn0970wh0.jpg]
Another of mikes creations
[Image: dscn0971vv7.jpg]
Lynn

Great White North
Ontario,Canada
No flash was used for these pics

[Image: img1083td2.jpg]

[Image: img1084tj6.jpg]

this pic is with flash on just to show the color a bit better
Seems hard to get a descent natural picture.
[Image: img1088og1.jpg]
Lynn

Great White North
Ontario,Canada
For the roads I'm venturing into many different methods ,what you see on previous post were just plaster paint brushed on to make the general contour but now I'm really trying out different methods. I've tried adding sifted baseball diamond sand and cementing it with water/glue mix this gives a good base then I've tried in different areas with first brushing the width of the road with laytest paint then sifting the same sand and adding several more layers of the same paint and sand but I'm finding it to course looking unless you go along with your finger to break up the top layer , this looks good. Now I've tried one other top layer which is take the same sifted sand and now put it in a yogurt style plastic container with a panty hose screen ( hope the wife doesn't read this) and shaking this on the paint layer.

Here's some pics I took as I went along
My paint is just some white paint I had left over and I added some brown dollar store paint to give it an earth tone color
[Image: 171om2.jpg]

This is how I sifted the gravel for the finer sifter
[Image: 2bpr2.jpg]

The sifter with panty hose screen
[Image: 2ws0.jpg]

This is how the road looked after the previous coat I gave of paint and sand well at least the road on opposite side of bridge
[Image: 8ny8.jpg]

the opposite side of bridge I just painted on wide enough for road and shook on the roadway with sifter
[Image: 4hn0.jpg]

Using the shaker to add the dirt it comes out more like a dust then anything heavy
[Image: 5oj2.jpg]

I then give the fresh roadway some ruts with the wooden end of a small paint brush
[Image: 6fo9.jpg]

I finish by giving the raod another layer this fills in the ruts
[Image: 7tb4.jpg]

Here's a couple more wooden bridges in place obviously I still got some scenery work to to around them but at least there in LOL.I may do a bit of weathering on them with some bragdon chalks.
I've been plugging away at my Campbells Barrel Factory so of course there's not enough time in the day for working on the rest of the layout, errrrrr that and I have to go out and make a living.
[Image: img1223tq3.jpg]

[Image: img1224wj3.jpg]
Lynn

Great White North
Ontario,Canada
fast track to where we're at
[Image: img1336yv1.jpg][/URL]

[Image: img1335nh4.jpg][/URL]

[Image: img1334ea0.jpg][/URL]

[Image: img1340qz4.jpg][/URL]

[Image: img1341rl3.jpg][/URL]

[Image: img1337so7.jpg][/URL]

[Image: img1338pz2.jpg][/URL]

[Image: img1339lf1.jpg][/URL]

[Image: img1333pl7.jpg][/URL]
Lynn

Great White North
Ontario,Canada
a bit of scenery work on the chemical factory , finally got the track installed and ballasted and got a good start on the dirt road all the way behind Duffy's Coal. I have to make somemore trees up and add more ground fall junk.

[Image: img1354ae3.jpg][/URL]
[Image: img1353jy7.jpg][/URL]
[Image: img1351sv8.jpg][/URL]
[Image: img1350wt3.jpg][/URL]
Lynn

Great White North
Ontario,Canada
WOW Lynn!! Its great to see pics from when the layout started to where you are now with some scenery down and buildings layed out!! I look forward to following this thread as you progress!! 2285_ Thumbsup :mrgreen:
Josh Mader

Maders Trains
Offering everyday low prices for the Model Railroad World
As far as I've gotten around the room starting from the left side to around the corner and continueing onward.

[Image: picture011zs0.jpg][/URL]

[Image: picture012pw1.jpg][/URL]

[Image: picture013fd7.jpg][/URL]

[Image: picture014ug7.jpg][/URL]

And here's an over all pic from a few steps back

[Image: picture017ct7.jpg][/URL]

I'm thinking maybe to not paint in trees for two reasons one is I stink at it and two as my wife suggested, I will be building up the tree line at the base of the mountains with small trees and secondary growth stuffage
Lynn

Great White North
Ontario,Canada
Here's a bit of whats been going on for past while as you can see most of the tree line has been planted along the ridge of the mountain.I've been trying to work from way back and come forward.
[Image: picture008biggersm3.jpg][/URL]
[Image: picture007biggerfc3.jpg][/URL]
[Image: picture006biggerpn2.jpg][/URL]
[Image: picture005biggerhw5.jpg][/URL]
[Image: picture004biggerlg2.jpg][/URL]

Here's a couple pics where I built the road and added a small scenery divider for Stuffies Brewery. For the hill I just stuck a piece of 2x4 down covered it with ground goop and earth and planted grass, I will be planting trees real soon to further devide up the scenery here as well as putting up a fence. Although Stuffey's will soon be moved.

[Image: picturebiggerit2.jpg][/URL]
[Image: picture001biggerbb6.jpg][/URL]
[Image: picture002biggerju9.jpg][/URL]
[Image: picture003biggertw2.jpg][/URL]
Lynn

Great White North
Ontario,Canada
So again change of plans , removed the mountain to make room for 90 foot TT. On the base of the TT I put a real thin coat of ground goop then a lite coat of sifted baseball diamond dirt then a coat of green ground fall. I tried some Bragdon powders around the walls of the TT but they didn't seem to take very well but it is dirtier looking. I also put down some ground goop between the tracks leading out to the TT and sifted some black sand blasting sand. Still more to do in this area one thing for sure this TT works well.

[Image: img0189rf2.jpg][/URL]

[Image: img0188hq4.jpg][/URL]

[Image: img0187lf8.jpg][/URL]

[Image: img0186ip9.jpg][/URL]

[Image: img0190pa6.jpg][/URL]
Lynn

Great White North
Ontario,Canada
Moving to a different area decided I needed a wharf Here's a bit starting with the wharf deck and peers, entire deck is one board at a time nailed down.

[Image: img0004np5.jpg]

[Image: img0005lw1.jpg]

[Image: img0006ev7.jpg]

Wharf in place, I'm going to give a stone wall effect and the grounds around the building and upto the wharf edges will get a ground goop effect.
[Image: img0035sy3.jpg]

[Image: img0034ca9.jpg]

[Image: img0032rp6.jpg]

[Image: img0031xw8.jpg]
Lynn

Great White North
Ontario,Canada
This is my newest crazy idea for an additional 2 bridges crossing over lower rails.
So before I could go forward with wharf I have to get past the new idea.
I better say this is a kinda mock up in PS.
Tonite I finally got some plaster down , it took a while to get everything lined up and I hope when I go to lay the track down it still lines up. Pics real soon.
[Image: hillnu8.th.jpg]
Lynn

Great White North
Ontario,Canada
WHOA Lynn, looks like posted to soon and in the middle of you posting more progress. Man i love all the pics and shots of your layout. You do some real nice work!! And i love the snowy mountain backdrops!!! Thumbsup Thumbsup

As i said above, i look forward to seeing more pics from you!! :mrgreen:
Josh Mader

Maders Trains
Offering everyday low prices for the Model Railroad World
Trucklover Wrote:WOW Lynn!! Its great to see pics from when the layout started to where you are now with some scenery down and buildings layed out!! I look forward to following this thread as you progress!! 2285_ Thumbsup :mrgreen:
Thanks Josh , I look forward to seeing what everyones been doing , hopefully lots of pics. 2285_
Lynn

Great White North
Ontario,Canada