What do you model apart from railroads ?
I used to build and operate model aircraft, both fixed wing and helicopters. I also used to kit build and race nitro rally cars. Now, it is strictly railroad.

Matt
Don't follow me, I'm lost too.
Sumpter250 Wrote:In this case, pictures are worth a thousand words.
This was a "junkbuild"[ATTACHMENT NOT FOUND]
Nice work replicating a pattern from an F18... I've worked around that particular aircraft numerous times, unfortunately it no longer exists in that paint, or for that unit for that matter.
Josh
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://rr.blockchoice.com">http://rr.blockchoice.com</a><!-- m -->
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.modelrailroadtips.com">http://www.modelrailroadtips.com</a><!-- m -->
Quote:Nice work replicating a pattern from an F18... I've worked around that particular aircraft numerous times, unfortunately it no longer exists in that paint, or for that unit for that matter.
The junkbuild was done on finescale.com and one of the active participants suggested the digital camo, and posted that F18 photo, as a guide to what digital camo looked like. I was surprised at how well it did turn out.
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!
eightyeightfan1 Wrote:Bombers , Fighters other Aircraft
B36 Peacemaker( at 1/48th...This was HHHUGGGE!)

I have a smaller model of one of those, i plan to get a bigger one. I never even knew the B36 existed until i was about 10, and i saw one in person for the first time at the USAF Museum. It was the first thing i saw, its tail towered over everything else, the plane is cemented in my mind.

I model a couple planes here and there. I've build a few ships as well, but the only surviving ship model i have is a semi-finished 1/350 modernized BB-62 USS New Jersey (Iowa Class for the win!). I used to have a model of the Tirpitz and a smaller model of the USS Iowa.

I also have several model aircraft, including

B29
B36
RB47H
Spruce Goose

I have a Vought Corsair and an Boeing RB47H that still needs to get put together.

Its not quite modeling, but i also mount insect specimens occaisionally. Its just as tedious though, especially posing the body parts without breaking anything.
Modeling New Jersey Under the Wire 1978-1979.  
[Image: logosmall.png]
Holy cow!
Nick, Pete & Val, you guys do some serious modeling. Those photos show off some fantastic work, and they look so realistic it makes me realize how far back I'm starting from.
A very interesting thread.

Jack 219
LIFE....
..... Abandon the search for truth
Look for a good fantasy
Quote:Those photos show off some fantastic work, and they look so realistic it makes me realize how far back I'm starting from.
I can only speak for myself, about how far back I started. It's close to sixty years now, that I've been building models. . . . and I'm still learning! There are still a lot of materials, and techniques that I haven't tried, and still some things I've never built.
Of the pictures I posted, my favorite model has to be the gaff rigged cutter. I laid down the lines for her in November of 1969, and started construction in 1970, while deployed to the Mediterranean in USS Columbus CG-12. It took six years (with a lot of interruptions) to complete the 1/64 scale,plank-on-frame build/rig + display case.
The picture is a bit "unfair", the small boat astern, is the fourth build. . . the first three didn't go well, and were......"not selected for use". ( :o it happens when you try a new technique for the first time, I'd never build a plank-on-frame 17' skiff in 1/64th scale before )
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!
Well I have no photos of old models either.

However I began about 6
First model was a 10 cent Comet Ercoupe, tried to cut it out with the only razor blade I could get ---a double edged Gillette-- I got cut a lot more than the balsa & it never got finished.
Next , I discovered Monogram Speedee- Built airplanes ---built everyone of them some more than once.
Few of them were flown, I would add cocpit details & such, too heavy to fly.
About 12 or so I scratched a tugboat out of a 2X4 using a picture on the box of a Revell tugboat that I found in the garbage .

Built a "generic " submarine the same way, using a picture in the worldbook as my guide.

Tried a wood model car, a Ford Sportsman convt. by Berkley------- wood cars are not too successful.

Built several free flight airplanes --- was not fond of non-scale stuff. About 15 -16 now.

AHA ---- NOW they start making PLASTIC cars , real model airplanes are WOOD --- but it takes plastic to do a car right!
Revrell Highway Pioneers--- thats the first cars issued , did not care for the 'horsless carrige" type , but they made a deuce cpe & roadster, 1 /32 I think, built a ton of those , street type to B'ville type.

Years later I began building 1/24 cars mostly 30's to 50's rods & customs all modified -- won a couplre of international contests with a 36 Ford, with a hadbuilt ardun, & a 37 chev convt with a blown 12 port jimmy.

I still have about 80 unbuilt car kits that I hope to build one day , if I live to 125.

Somewhere in between I built some control line scale planes & a few RC planes

The truth is I just like to build models & when iI realized in the late 70's that if I took up model railroading there was a reason to build any thing I had a fancy to , building, train , car, mountainside --- did not matter what ---it let the whole world be your prototype!! AT last I am HAPPY!
Instant glue ? ---- SOLDER ---- NOW THATS INSTANT!