Ontario Northland motive power.
Yes they do. They bought the GP40-2s from a US railroad a few years back. Their road numbers start at #2200. The ONR also has a handful of GP38-2s as well ( starting at #1800 ). The ONR uses 6 axle units ( SD75i and SD40-2 ) from North Bay Ontario to Cochrane Ontario and here on the Kirkland Lake sub. The four axle units ( Gp38-2 & GP40-2 ) are used from Cochrane north to Moosonee and west to Hearst Ontario. The only time the four axle units venture south from Cochrane is on the Nothlander passenger train, for repairs in North Bay and on the odd work train. The tracks to the north and west of Cochrane cannot handle the six axle units.
The ONR also has a couple of GP9s they still use for yard switchers. Their road numbers started at #1600. They did have a number of FP7s running that were remotored with catipiliar engines but they were retired a few years back. The remotoring with the cat engines proved to be unreliable.

I am actually surprised the ONR has not purchased some more second hand units as motive power shortages are always happening. Surprisingly I find the SD40-2 units ( purchased in 1973 & 74 ) are the most reliable running locomotives they have. It seems like the SD75is are always having traction motor and computer problems.

Wayne Reid
Wayne R Wrote:Today there was plenty of action on the Kirkland Lake sub and I was able to get a few more pictures of the ONRail's fleet. Actually the action was so good I ended up shooting just about 500 photos. Eek Good thing my camera is digital.
Smile

and where are the other 496 pictures.....? 357
Nice pictures by the way Worship
Frank
Santa Fe all the way
Greetings from Germany!
Great pics!

I often see an ONR passenger train crossing over the Don Valley as I drive to work (on the Don Valley Parkway in Toronto). No chance to take pics then though! Sometimes I see a GO Train car mixed in with the ONR stock.

Rob
Rob
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.robertrobotham.ca/">http://www.robertrobotham.ca/</a><!-- m -->
Rob

The ONR is refurbishing ( actually rebuilding ) some train cars for GO Transit at their North Bay shops. I cannot remember off hand but I know the contract was for a fair number of cars over a few years.

Wayne Reid