Christmas anyone ?
Heres a picture I found a few years back------ considering few business's even put decorations on their windows anymore , at least not in Las Vegas . Matter of fact it's been years since the city even put up garlands on the street lights, I thought this might be interesting as to how things USED to be. Pretty fancy !!

Instant glue ? ---- SOLDER ---- NOW THATS INSTANT!
Now I'll show you what I did with this idea on the Toole Springs & Western several Christmas back. some of you may know the Toole Springs---It belonged to Frank Burke, was built by him, Lynn Austin & the S.N.O. B. crew. SNOB -- Southern Nevada Operating Brotherhood -- a nonclub -club--sort of. Sadly both Frank & the railroad are gone now. It was featured twice in Model Railroad Craftsman-- both times being the cover story.
Frank & I decided to decorate the Bank on the layout as a surprise for the SNOBS at our annual Christmas party, not knowing at the time that it would be Franks Last Christmas. Anyway -- here are some pics of the results.

Ok Now the rest of them.

Very nicely done. Yours looks better than the real thing.
Great Stuff!! Thumbsup Thumbsup

Christmas in June Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin
~~ Mikey KB3VBR (Admin)
~~ NARA Member # 75    
~~ Baldwin Eddystone Unofficial Website

~~ I wonder what that would look like in 1:20.3???
That's terrific! Well done and very festive!
Ralph
Excellent Thumbsup Thumbsup
...prophesy not unto us right things, speak unto us smooth things, prophesy deceits...

My blog>>> <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.misterbobsmodelworksemporium.blogspot.com">http://www.misterbobsmodelworksemporium.blogspot.com</a><!-- m -->
Thanks everybody. Frank & I had fun doing it.

The nut cracker soldiers, reindeer & Santas Sleigh were all made from decals or Christmas card art ( can't remember which) reduced to proper size at Kinkos & then glued to balsa wood, a little colored ink on the edges to add depth, some brass runners for the sled & presto --- done.
Nice.
With alll the stuff that company puts up...Looks like they have to start in July.
Torrington, Ct.
NARA Member #87
I went to my Happy Place, but it was closed for renovations.
eightyeightfan1 Wrote:Nice.
With alll the stuff that company puts up...Looks like they have to start in July.

OK---- so how much time is 5 months in 1/87 scale? 357 Took me about a day & a half including the copy stuff. 2285_
Dave Harris sctchbld Wrote:
eightyeightfan1 Wrote:Nice.

OK---- so how much time is 5 months in 1/87 scale? 357 Took me about a day & a half including the copy stuff. 2285_

What?? ---- no math whiz willing to tackle scale time? 35
OK..OK....5 months in "HO time" is 1.7 days......

Unfortunately time is not "scalable". Somebody here with "fast clock" experience can chime in with what they consider a day to be in "fast clock" time.....
Gus (LC&P).
I've always wondered about scaleing Time. In theory it would make speeds out of scale. But then of course I've just Quashed my own theory by remembering the Distance = Speed x Time, so if you scale the distance, you must have to scale the Time by the same amount for speeds to stay constant. So 5 months would be about 40 hours in HO gauge time.
The problem is not scaling time, you just have a clock that counts 87x faster than a normal clock (Hence "Fast Clock"), obviously thats for HO, If you were doing the same for N, it would count 160x fater than a normal clock (or 150x, or 144x depending on which standard of N you use). The problem comes with the fact that Gravity cannot be scaled, so when you shunt, if say you use gravity shunting (sidings sloping down to the buffers), then it will not be in scale as the train wouldn't accellerate as fast.

OF course I may be whittering nonsense, but that is how I've understood the scale aspects of time.
Tom (TC) - Creator of Extremely Miniature Layouts on Disks! See Them All, and More on My Website. Latest Update: Jan '10.
[Image: 200549bd0989263ef.png]
Steamtrains Wrote:OK..OK....5 months in "HO time" is 1.7 days......

Unfortunately time is not "scalable". Somebody here with "fast clock" experience can chime in with what they consider a day to be in "fast clock" time.....

How about that!! I guess then I came pretty close then. Cheers
TCWORLD Wrote:I've always wondered about scaleing Time. In theory it would make speeds out of scale. But then of course I've just Quashed my own theory by remembering the Distance = Speed x Time, so if you scale the distance, you must have to scale the Time by the same amount for speeds to stay constant. So 5 months would be about 40 hours in HO gauge time.
The problem is not scaling time, you just have a clock that counts 87x faster than a normal clock (Hence "Fast Clock"), obviously thats for HO, If you were doing the same for N, it would count 160x fater than a normal clock (or 150x, or 144x depending on which standard of N you use). The problem comes with the fact that Gravity cannot be scaled, so when you shunt, if say you use gravity shunting (sidings sloping down to the buffers), then it will not be in scale as the train wouldn't accellerate as fast.

OF course I may be whittering nonsense, but that is how I've understood the scale aspects of time.

You are correct ------ Time is not really scaleable .
In fact some folks can't even MODEL it correct---George Selios is an excellent example of that.
George IS a FANTASTIC modeler-- of that there is NO doubt --- BUT ---- BUT --- His Franklin & South Manchester RR is set IN the middle of the depression , yet every piece in the railroad, is completely decrepit & rundown. Prior to the depression things would have been maintained & kept up --- a period of 3-4 years would not have been enough for every thing to fall apart as his RR depicts.
We eccept this in his & others modeling because we realize that the depression was a tough time & this type of depiction satisfies our feeling of the despair of the time.