E-Paw's scratchbuilt summer 09 challenge.
I have installed the road bead and painted the concrete pads. I also installed some signal ladders and a work platform. after a test fit it will be off to the paint shop.    

I fired up the airbrush and gave them a coat of aluminum. When that dried they got a few washes of grimy black, rust, and roof brown.     I still have to paint the "flag" part of the signal.I also weathered some track for this section of the railroad. That will be installed later.
 My other car is a locomotive, ARHS restoration crew  
Very nice work!! I Like them Thumbsup Thumbsup
Josh Mader

Maders Trains
Offering everyday low prices for the Model Railroad World
That is some fine work. I'm very impressed! Worship
Ralph
Real nice work!
And I keep asking myself why I even joined the challenge.
Torrington, Ct.
NARA Member #87
I went to my Happy Place, but it was closed for renovations.
I was not going to include any sort of signalling, let alone functioning signals on my small layout...but heck, after seeing your work I may just have to put something there! Great work.

Galen
I may not be a rivet counter, but I sure do like rivets!
This is simply amazing.. Great work!
-norm
Cool! Thumbsup
That’s what I call Brass Art .. fantastic Worship .
Kurt
e-paw Wrote:I wanted to build A 2 hole out house as described on page 63 of Carstens "loco terminals & R.R. structures" but The kitbash is taking twice as long to complete as I expected. So, I will build something a little simpler.... A pair of HO scale operating train order signals.

Very nice, but....

Building a pair of operating semiphores is easier that building an CYBO? Icon_lol
Ron Wm. Hurlbut
Toronto, Ontario, Dominion of Canada
Ontario Narrow Gauge Show
Humber Valley & Simcoe Railway Blog
I brush painted The top of the semaphores, and need to come up with a way to reproduce the colored aspects. At first I wanted to light them with a led, but could not find one small enough to fit inside the motor housing. I'll see what I can come up with.

Now it's time to test out an idea I had. I took a scrap of brass, painted it black ,and then painted a red and a green dot on it. I'll put a dab of clear Testers glue on the dots and hopefully it will look like a glass lens. If it does I'll do the same to the signals. I also added the white stripe at the end of the signal.

The glue idea worked out just fine.When they are dry I'll glue them in place with some carpenters glue so that the bond is not to permanent.

While that sets up I'll put some ground foam down.

Sorry I just couldn't pass up the photo op.

I still need to hook up the switch machines, add some trees, and a few other odds and ends. Almost finished.
Looking good Steve, the ground cover and the signals is looking real good Thumbsup Thumbsup
Josh Mader

Maders Trains
Offering everyday low prices for the Model Railroad World
It's finished 2285_ So here is the wrap up.

I mounted the control panel and attached the control rod to the switch machines. To do this I just bent a loop in the throw arm of the switch machine and one in the signal control rod so that they linked like a chain. The hardest part was to find the right spot on the control rod to do this as to not have the signal move to far or not enough.

Here is a closeup of one of the finished signals    
The last shots are a view of Saylors junction, one looking east and one west. If you'll notice the track just kind of ends, that's because It's the only section of the main line that I've laid at this time. I also didn't want to ballast it yet, because this it a "lift out" section of the layout that crosses an Isle. I want to get track in working order on both sides of this section before It's made permanent. These shots also show the working motion of the signals.

Looking east towards Stockertown.    

Looking west towards Pen Argyl.    

Just if you were wondering that's a hobby-town RS-3 and a Lee town 0-8-0 conversion.
A few final pics