Has anybody here had much experience with Vista?
Russ, Though I'm not a guru, have Vista, and because it's doing OK for me and because of Micro$oft's rep. for bugs (and that I'll be paying retail $ for "7"), will wait a bit to "upgrade". The following arrived this AM from PC World: http://www.pcworld.com/article/174342/wi...x_h_crawl1 Unless you feel compelled to "...do it now !", would watch for a bit to see what comes of the roll-out. JMO Bob C.
James Thurber - "It is better to know some of the questions than all of the answers."
I'd just like to point out aswell about the keyboard issue. I have a MS keyboard. I have had it for 8 years now, and it is still working perfectly. You should return yours as it is clearly defective.

As a student i can get Win7 for £30, and i am going to. I'll let you all know how it goes.
Tom (TC) - Creator of Extremely Miniature Layouts on Disks! See Them All, and More on My Website. Latest Update: Jan '10.
[Image: 200549bd0989263ef.png]
Count me in as part of the wait and see camp. While a few people I know in I.T. have expressed their opinions on how impressed they are with Windows 7, they too also suggest waiting to see what comes of it all. If you can get it for free I say why not. However if you have to pay retail, then I would wait.

I've been running Vista now for two years on my Dell. No issues to report of to date, so can't really complain about it as an OS.
I just received notification that they are going to send out my copy of Windows 7. It is going to be sent out on a cd, so I can choose to install or not and I can install it at any time after receipt, so I think I will wait and see.
Tetters...The only gripe I have about Vista is its User Account "management".....I'm the sole user of the 'puter, I set it up initially (from brand new), I set the password to get the thing to work...and there are folders I can't access because I lack sufficient "permission"....So who do I need to ask for additional "permission"..??? Curse
Gus (LC&P).
The one thing I've noticed with Vista that is not difficult to work around, but a bit of a hassle is when I download something it just goes somewhere on my computer. I open my documents and then I can "click" on "recent changes" and find my downloads. As an example, I downloaded the November newsletter for Model Railroad Hobbyist, but I could not get it to go to my documents. I opened "recent changes" and there it was. I read it, but could not move it directly to the Model Railroad Hobbyist folder I keep in "My Documents." I don't care about keeping the newsletter, it is just hobby and industry news that I normally read and delete, but I keep the magazine for future reference so I wanted to make sure I could put it in the Model Railroad Hobbyist folder. What I had to do was to "click & drag" the newsletter into "my Documents" folder. Then I opened My Documents folder and did a click and drag to move the newsletter into my Model Railroad Hobbyist folder. With Xp I could just download things directly to the folder I wanted to put them into in My Documents.
I'm another who has had Vista from buying my computer (2 1/2 years) with no major complaints.
Since we're planning a major trip I'll probably wait until that's over to convert, if the new system still gets good reports.
I still can't find everything on the disk -- no idea where all the cookies and internet drivel get stored. I used to go through and clean it out once a month. And I never found a good manual on it.
One that I have says that if I change my Vista password I lose access to a lot of files? Is that right?
David
Moderato ma non troppo
Perth & Exeter Railway Company
Esquesing & Chinguacousy Radial Railway
In model railroading, there are between six and two hundred ways of performing a given task.
Most modellers can get two of them to work.
Russ, the download location is set in your internet browser. What are you using?
Loren
I got my first train when I was three,
put a hundred thousand miles on my knees.
I use Firefox. I notice that firefox downloads it. Once it downloads, getting it to My Documents seems to take too many steps, I don't know why Microsoft decided that I should not be able to download directly to My documents, but since I've figured out how to get it there, no problem.
Hi Russ!
In Firefox if you go to tools, then options and click on the main tab, there is a drop down box where you can set the download location.
Loren
Hi David!
Sorry I didn't see your post before. The cookies and internet stuff are controlled by your browser also. What are you using?
As far as changing your password, I have never heard of that, but that's not saying it can't happen. What I have learned is that there are two types of users, restricted users and administrator. If you are an admin now and changed to restricted when you change your password, you would only have limited access to the computer and files.
Loren
I was forced into Vista when my last computer died. Loved XP but it was no longer available.

Vista is a memory hog which supposedly contains some fancy tricks but I've never found them. The biggest single fault of XP is that it won't run any XP software, which is the vast majority of software currently available, so everything I had was lost and there is pretty much nothing to replace it.

No, of course, the Masters of Planned Obsolescence want to sell us Win7, which will undoubtedly once again render all of the previous software useless.

I'll upgrade if and when I have to, but I'm in now rush to reward Microsoft for constantly changing their OS format.

Shoot
Loren: I'm using Firefox.
I'm really much happier if I can use a command line or do it in Fortran.
David
Moderato ma non troppo
Perth & Exeter Railway Company
Esquesing & Chinguacousy Radial Railway
In model railroading, there are between six and two hundred ways of performing a given task.
Most modellers can get two of them to work.
My personal opinion, Vista is the worst virus Microsoft ever released. I can not wait to upgrade. Normally I am cautious about installing newly released OS software, but vista is garbage.

Matt
Don't follow me, I'm lost too.
MountainMan Wrote:I was forced into Vista when my last computer died. Loved XP but it was no longer available.

Vista is a memory hog which supposedly contains some fancy tricks but I've never found them. The biggest single fault of XP is that it won't run any XP software, which is the vast majority of software currently available, so everything I had was lost and there is pretty much nothing to replace it.,,
Not that I'm defending Vista, but you should be able to run all your XP software. If it won't run straight up, try going to "properties" when you right click on the application and select the compatibility tab. There you can opt to run it in an earlier windows mode. I'm running some very early apps that way.
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
founder of the CANYON STATE RAILROAD