Internet access changes
AT&T is changing their access for dial-up. Their software is not compatible with my old operating system, but looks like it will support XP, which is on the computer my daughter passed to me when she upgraded to a better "games machine".
Just a heads up, in case it takes me a while to figure out how to get everything "up to speed" (I'll be happy to just get the basics working). Trains I can handle, computer software/hardware......that's another completely different beast.
Then, there's the "forever" task of transferring all "my stuff" to the new computer...... Nope I'd rather hand spike a 20' X40' dual gauge layout. Eek
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!
Hope it all works out OK!
I can sympathize with you, my computer crashed about three weeks ago and it took me days to recover my data and get it onto my old machine again. It seems to me that the Internet providers are trying to get rid of dial-up anyway, they can make a lot more money on those that subscribe to a cable connection and it doesn't cost them anything more either. they much prefer for you to go with high speed access and this is their way of getting you to do just that.

Good luck, I hope it goes smoothly for you. Thumbsup
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
founder of the CANYON STATE RAILROAD
"they much prefer for you to go with high speed access and this is their way of getting you to do just that."

If they really want me to "do just that", they can send me the latest and greatest computer system, free of charge, and I will be happy to comply.

Otherwise, I have a lexicon of lewd, crude, off color, and downright nasty phrases that I mutter anytime I have an "internet problem".

"Life would be utterly dull and flat, if I had nothing to grumble at"- Gilbert and Sullivan
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!
I can understand your problem..Wasn't for my son keeping my computer updated with the latest gizmo's(read his cast off motherboards,faster processors,video cards etc) I'll be in a world of hurt .
Larry
Engineman

Summerset Ry

Make Safety your first thought, Not your last!  Safety First!