Ocalicreek's 2010 Spring Bash Challenge
Two shots showing the difference between end panels. One model has the single brace (presumably to simulate wood) and the other two braces, to look like metal L channel. The second is the more detailed as it includes bolt head details (not rivets) but represents a newer car which would have most likely had metal bracing on the side...although I have a picture of a car with metal side bracing and a single brace on the end. Hmmm... :ugeek:

[albumimg]2303[/albumimg]

[albumimg]2304[/albumimg]

Both will get grab irons, and the single brace will get bolt head details, a la the pinhead rivet method.

Oh, and both are prototypical.

Galen
I may not be a rivet counter, but I sure do like rivets!
[albumimg]2319[/albumimg]

Here's the latest from tonight's work. These are the 'easy' end panels. I say easy since they only require two grabs, that is, 4 holes in each end. I've got a nice pair of smooth jaw pliers that work out to 18" or so at the end of the jaw, just right for bending grabs. These aren't glued in yet, just set in place.

The side panel shown has rivet strips added to two uprights. The intention is to make it look like part of the wood, not a strip added overtop the wood. The rivet detail is not rivets, but bolt heads, actually. The Train Miniature version of their balast gon (an injection molded plastic Hart Gon) has this detail. I have found a picture but since it's not mine I can't post it here and the link isn't handy...sorry. There are also engineering drawings of an early car, circa 1906, that show the bolt construction when wood was used vs metal channel or angle iron.

Anyway, I think it looks pretty good. The bolt head detail is made with a pounce wheel rolling over really thin styrene, making two passes to get a row of closely spaced dimples/bumps.

These end panels are complete for two cars. The third car has the trickier panel. I need to make many, many more bolt head strips, glue them on, and shave them down slightly to blend in with the posts. I hope once they are painted it will seem as if the bolt heads are a detail on the posts, not some applique' simulation. It's not a huge detail and it really shouldn't be noticed, but I'd notice if it weren't there and I think it'll make the difference between a good car and a great one.

Any thoughts?

Galen
[albumimg]2337[/albumimg]

This is where I'm at after tonight's work. Next I'll do to the other long side what you see done to this one. It's hard to see, but if you look at the far left end of the long side, you may be able to see the vertical grab iron there. Once again the bolt heads are hard to make out in the picture, but they look fine in person. Hopefully once the car is painted (just touch-up black on the new parts) and weathered the detail will show better. The car side is glued to the underframe, however there's still a wood block to add on top of the frame as a brace/stiffener for the hopper/frame/side joint.

I may just finish this one car in order to have something complete for the contest, assuming I can get it done before April 1 Confusedhock: . After that I can finish the other two since all the materials are gathered and the steps are fresh in my mind. We'll see how it all progresses.

Galen
Thursday night is train night! 2285_ so I hope to get this car close to a finished level of detailing tonight, possibly even painted...we'll see.
Big Grin

Galen
Have fun Galen! I'm looking forward to seeing this one assembled.
Three Foot Rule In Effect At All Times
Gary S Wrote:Have fun Galen! I'm looking forward to seeing this one assembled.

Me too. Here's an exciting image:

[albumimg]2340[/albumimg]

The sides are complete except for the drop steps. I'll add them on once the inner hopper body work has been finished, along with the end beams, once it's time to do some underbody work.

Up next...I begin work on the interior.

I have to say that even at this point, if all I did was disassemble, clean and reassemble these models (replacing missing parts, natch) they'd look much better than how I found them. Part of that is the lack of precision and care the previous owner took when he assembled them, and part of that is just the rough state they were in.

But taking them to the next level is part of what makes this contest, and these sorts of projects, so much fun. It's why I have boxes of unassembled kits and other such orphans awaiting a good home and a decent upgrade.

Galen
ocalicreek Wrote:But taking them to the next level is part of what makes this contest, and these sorts of projects, so much fun. It's why I have boxes of unassembled kits and other such orphans awaiting a good home and a decent upgrade.

Yep! Thumbsup

Looking good! Was the contest set to end on April 1st? If so, you better get it in gear and finish! Big Grin
Three Foot Rule In Effect At All Times
APRIL 1ST!!!!!!
Damn...I'd better get going on mine also!

Nice work.
Torrington, Ct.
NARA Member #87
I went to my Happy Place, but it was closed for renovations.
Thanks, guys! Smile

I was able to absolutely 'get it in gear' last night after I posted that photo and rebuild the hopper interior. I still need to add a few braces and some overlay panels for the ends (to simulate the wood planks - they're metal castings with a smooth inside face) and then I'll post a few pictures.

Unfortunately that'll most likely be later today since it's days like today that shoot my modeling progress in the foot. It's sunny (mostly) and there's a garden needing attention. But I promise to get more done tonight and share the photos...really!

Thanks for checking in. I will meet this deadline, somehow!

Galen
As promised, here are the pictures of last nights and tonight's progress. All I did tonight was add the black braces inside the hopper bottom. The bulk of the work was last night.

[albumimg]2344[/albumimg]

[albumimg]2343[/albumimg]

I photoshopped the last image to include two other images of Hart Gons I've found online. The angle at which I took my image more closely matches the car on the left. I took the vertical grab iron from that image (although it may be present on the car at right). You'll note the interiors are very similar but look closely at the ends. The model end wall represents the style found on the car at right, although that prototype has side walls that open out (note the bolts along the top of the side rails). The car on the right does not have the opening side walls but has a different end wall.

I'll be modeling the end beam after the car on the left since it more closely matches the model (no side walls that open) and is a simpler design. Plus I like the ratchet and levers for opening the hopper doors. HOWEVER, I like the position of the brake wheel (both at the far end of each photo) in the picture on the right. That's closer to the model's instructions.

Makes me wonder just what prototype did Silver Streak/Tru Scale use to design these cars in the first place? :?:

Galen
Galen, I was always under the impression that these cars were truly convertible, at least if the buyer chose to purchase the "deluxe" version. In other words, either a hopper-style bottom with removeable panels to cover the hopper area (making a flat-bottom car) with side doors or a drop-bottom car, also fitted with side doors, for use with the Lidgerwood car.

Wayne
You are definitely giving these cars the TLC they deserved!
--
Kevin
Check out my Shapeways creations!
3-d printed items in HO/HOn3 and more!
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kevin-s-model-train-detail-parts">https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kevin-s ... tail-parts</a><!-- m -->
doctorwayne Wrote:Galen, I was always under the impression that these cars were truly convertible, at least if the buyer chose to purchase the "deluxe" version. In other words, either a hopper-style bottom with removeable panels to cover the hopper area (making a flat-bottom car) with side doors or a drop-bottom car, also fitted with side doors, for use with the Lidgerwood car.

Wayne

A google search for Hart Gondola or Hart Convertible I believe turned up some old Railway Age articles, or old railroad engineering publications since digitized by Google books. One has a pretty good explanation on the various dumping options available. At one point the lidgerwood car and plow became obsolete, I believe, by a development in the design of these cars. It's an interesting history...too bad it's not collected in one place for easy access. Ah well, the hunt is part of the fun, I suppose.

There seemed to be a version like the GS drop bottom gon, commonly used for beets by the NP & SP. The ratchet hardware is visible running down the side of the car In flat bottom mode, these doors would be operated and would dump material behind the underbody exposed framework (hence brake gear outside the frame). I think a plow or some other plowing device (tractor) could be used in that config as well.

I chose to model in the hopper bottom configuration. The upper sections with the L bracing would fold down to cover the V shaped hopper bottom. The GS type drop bottom doors would be hidden beneath the extended V sides as the car is modeled here. I think also if I could actually fold down my upper side sections, they'd be too wide to fit! But that's not as visible unless you have the time to stare at it, like you do here... :oops: It's also a design flaw in the kit construction as well.

Galen
nachoman Wrote:You are definitely giving these cars the TLC they deserved!

Thanks, Kevin. I knew they could be dressed up when I bought them, but I wouldn't have imagined all this!

Galen
Sorry, Galen: :oops: I neglected to comment on the fine job which you're doing on these older cars. It's nice to see them getting the treatment they deserve in order to fit in with more current rolling stock. Thumbsup Thumbsup

Wayne