RobL's Layout
Looks very good! I should say outstanding!!
Really nice work!!
I only know what I know, and I don't understand very much of it, either.
Member: AEA, American Legion, Lions Club International
Motto: "Essayons"
Tonight I decided to "test" some scenery on the layout... I added some rock castings, painted the previously set sculptamold, added some burnt and green turf, some bushes, some talus, and ballast on the tracks... I also painted the rails with a little rust color, however, I think it needs a little more... I decided to do about an 8" section to get the feel for how I want this thing to look as I go along...

--Rob.

... pics continued ...

--Rob.
Scenery is coming along real well Rob.
Lynn

New Adventure <!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href="http://bigbluetrains.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=9245">viewtopic.php?f=46&t=9245</a><!-- l -->

Great White North
Ontario,Canada
WOW!
Thats looking great!
Here's a suggestion for using the "Cardboard strips" method, when doing large areas.
I usually stick some of that pink foam insulation in between the joists of the wood. Kinda like an intercostal on aircraft. I'll also double the palster cloth covering, rotating the direction of the second layer 90 degrees from the first. All before splating on the thin layrer of Sculpta Mold. Just enough to cover the weave of the palster cloth.
Just a suggestion.
Torrington, Ct.
NARA Member #87
I went to my Happy Place, but it was closed for renovations.
DANG, that hill scene looks REALLY COOL!! I LOVE the rocks you did and the placement of them looks great!! Keep up the good work Thumbsup Thumbsup
Josh Mader

Maders Trains
Offering everyday low prices for the Model Railroad World
Looking real good Rob!
Ralph
Looks like it's coming along real good! Keep us updated!

- Dan
Looks good! The last time I was in New England was when I drove through with my wife on the way back from our honeymoon in Quebec in 1973! As far as remember, your scenery looks just like what I saw in New England.
Looking good. Thumbsup
eightyeightfan1 Wrote:WOW!
Thats looking great!
Here's a suggestion for using the "Cardboard strips" method, when doing large areas.
I usually stick some of that pink foam insulation in between the joists of the wood. Kinda like an intercostal on aircraft. I'll also double the palster cloth covering, rotating the direction of the second layer 90 degrees from the first. All before splating on the thin layrer of Sculpta Mold. Just enough to cover the weave of the palster cloth.
Just a suggestion.

Thanks for the suggestion! I tried to weave strips and cover it with plaster and sculptamold and the weight was just too much... I *think* it would have held up, but I wasn't going to risk it... the area shown in these later photos with the cardboard is actually quite strong, albeit they are very small areas. For the larger area, I went out to the garage and grabbed some scrap plywood and mounted it on some risers to meet the profile I desired... I have read and seen the pink foam used a lot, but I will admit, I am a little "afraid" of it... my understanding is that the stuff is highly flammable (and hence fire code does not allow for the use of it on uncovered walls), although I suppose that all of the ground foam and other scenic items are probably just as, if not more flammable... once I run out of scrap plywood, I will need to make a decision on what to use next!

Do you find using the plaster cloth technique you described you use less sculptamold? One thing that annoys me about the sculptamold is how long it takes to totally dry... that 30 minute stuff on the bag is a blatent lie (or I am just using WAY too much Smile )...

--Rob.
Ah... the beauty of getting 4 weeks vacation time that must be used by the end of the year and being too busy earlier in the year to take any of it Smile another afternoon in the train room... this area is to the left of the previously worked on area... one large rock formation was placed along with some shrubs, turf mix, some soil, some talus and a growth of pine trees... some dead fall as added for effect and it looks like a couple of deer have wandered near the tracks to get a look at Green Mountain Railroads GP-40 #305 while a Conrail consist passes by on the elevated mainline.

Sadly, I am out of vacation time which means no more lazy workdays down in the train room... but there is always nights during the week and the weekends! Smile

--Rob.
Rob, beautiful work, i love it, and it looks GREAT!! I like the deer, keep up the awesome work Thumbsup Thumbsup
Josh Mader

Maders Trains
Offering everyday low prices for the Model Railroad World
Very Nice work Rob, it's coming along quite well!

If you need any inspiration you could go to the Model RR Club of Buffalo's Open House on Jan 17, I'm not a member, but it's a nice layout! <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.railroad.net/events/event.php?EventID=839">http://www.railroad.net/events/event.php?EventID=839</a><!-- m -->

- Dan
Dan85 Wrote:Very Nice work Rob, it's coming along quite well!

If you need any inspiration you could go to the Model RR Club of Buffalo's Open House on Jan 17, I'm not a member, but it's a nice layout! <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.railroad.net/events/event.php?EventID=839">http://www.railroad.net/events/event.php?EventID=839</a><!-- m -->

- Dan

Dan:

Thanks for the link! I am going to try to get over there and check it out... I play hockey on Saturdays and Sundays so depending on my game times I hope I can get over there (well at least on the 17th and 18th as I am going to Jamaica on the 23rd and somehow I don't think my wife will trade the beach for a train layout Smile ).

Have you ever gone to see the layout in the basement of the Buffalo and Erie County Historical Society? It is based on an earlier time period than I am modeling, but still a pretty neat layout to look at as they modeled some buildings and scenes of historical significance to the area.

--Rob.