RobL's Layout
RobL Wrote:Dan:

Thanks for the link! I am going to try to get over there and check it out... I play hockey on Saturdays and Sundays so depending on my game times I hope I can get over there (well at least on the 17th and 18th as I am going to Jamaica on the 23rd and somehow I don't think my wife will trade the beach for a train layout Smile ).

Have you ever gone to see the layout in the basement of the Buffalo and Erie County Historical Society? It is based on an earlier time period than I am modeling, but still a pretty neat layout to look at as they modeled some buildings and scenes of historical significance to the area.

--Rob.

Oh man, that sounds awesome - have a good time there! I did not even know that the Erie County Historical Society had a layout, I will have to check that out.

In case you don't make it, here's my photos from the last time. If you go back to the next album up, I also have pictures of the Summit Mall layout in Wheatfield.

<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://s3.photobucket.com/albums/y86/Future_Texan/Hobby/Buffalo%20RR%20Club/">http://s3.photobucket.com/albums/y86/Fu ... RR%20Club/</a><!-- m -->

- Dan
That hill has turned out great! You have the makings of a great railfan location to take pictures at!
Scott
Been awhile since I've posted some progress... actually for awhile there, I was unfortunately making very little progress... but over the past two weeks or so I have gotten back to the basement and started working on one of the corners of the layout and thought I would share.

Cardboard and framing underneath

Newspaper and masking tape

Plaster cloth and Sculptamold

More plaster

"Dirt"

The start of the hillside of fall foliage

Trees

Hand carved rock

More hand carved rock

Overhead view

The rock along the side of the hill was an experiment with hyrdocal... I didn't want to place multiple small rocks but rather wanted one long continuous rock as if the rail right of way was created by blowing out the hill. I took hydrocal and used a spatula and "frosted" the hillside like a cake. I let it dry and then ran some different sized metal scrapers over the dried material and then colored it... I like the results and plan to use the technique on the gorge where the plate bridge is... actually I also plan on removing the plate girder bridge and replacing it with a trestle.

The hill will be full of fall colored trees... I just need to make them all Smile

The other side of the hill will be a small village scene with the fall tree line behind the buildings...

I am quite excited on how this little 4x4 section is coming along!

--Rob.
Looking good Rob! Thumbsup A hilside of those Fall colored trees will look spectacular!
Ralph
Cheers with Ralph, that's looking great!! Love the rock work too Thumbsup Thumbsup
Josh Mader

Maders Trains
Offering everyday low prices for the Model Railroad World
Rob,

I've just quickly looked at your pics and skimmed through the first part of your thread. I'm jealous, that's an awesome looking layout! I wish I had woodworking skills like that to design such an impressive layout. Please keep us posted as and when you add scenery.

Cheers,
Rob
Rob
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.robertrobotham.ca/">http://www.robertrobotham.ca/</a><!-- m -->
That hillside looks incredible! Your rockface is very well done! Your trees look great together! Keep up the excellent work! Thumbsup
Scott
Your layout is looking great!!
It almost makes me want to change from a midwest location to a mountainous area. Looking forward to more.

Matt
Don't follow me, I'm lost too.
Some very impressive work, there.
Thanks for all the nice comments guys!

Rob-- Thanks for the compliments on the woodworking, but I have to admit, I think my woodworking skills are terrible! The one thing I did with this build is I took my sweet old time putting the benchwork together... as much as I wanted to get track down and trains running, I made the commitment to building a stable foundation that I felt would pay dividends in the long run (not to mention my wife told me I am not allowed to break this train down and start over)... I used some of the principals of the classic L-girder and other open grid styles melded into my own creation and I am happy with the way it came out... that all said, I don't think I'll be quitting my day job to become a carpenter Smile

I have added about 20 more trees to the hill... about 200 to go! Smile

--Rob.
Winter has returned so time to get back to the basement... weird weather here in Buffalo, NY... we still had sun and 50 degree days right through November, but Lake Erie has reminded us in the last few days that yes, winter time is just about here!

I have spent the last couple weeks building a trestle from scratch using the Black Bear jig, modeling a small creek/river and some more fall trees to go with it. The pictures below show the progress... still some more to do in this small section of the layout but it feels good to get back to work on the layout!

--Rob.

Attached Files Image(s)

The tressle came out great.
Lynn

New Adventure <!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href="http://bigbluetrains.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=9245">viewtopic.php?f=46&t=9245</a><!-- l -->

Great White North
Ontario,Canada