TinGoat
This is more a heads-up of my own actions. In response to his "hunt it down and kill it" remark (re: Trucklover/josh's thread) I sent him this PM:

Ron,
I forgot just how intolerant of anyone who remotely disagrees with you, you can be. I will try to never make that mistake again.
Pete

I accept the consequences of my actions, but I had to respond. I didn't feel the response was appropriate for a posted reply, so it went by PM.

The "Goat", really is made of tin.
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!
I'm finding the idea of people arguing over advice given to the young heartbroken Josh to be a bit unseemly. The kid sticks his neck out and reveals a lot more personal info than I think is wise (especially in the context of a hobby forum) and then his thread becomes an argument for other guys to get into?

How about we keep it lighter than that?

Ralph
Ralph Wrote:I'm finding the idea of people arguing over advice given to the young heartbroken Josh to be a bit unseemly. The kid sticks his neck out and reveals a lot more personal info than I think is wise (especially in the context of a hobby forum) and then his thread becomes an argument for other guys to get into?

How about we keep it lighter than that?

Ralph

Good question..But,its hard to tame human nature in such things this day and age of married today separated tomorrow with hate for each other.Seems like a lot of young women today shop around and change boyfriends/husbands like changing clothes..I remember the short era of "friendly" divorce where the couple agreed to part without hate or malice toward each other.

I suspect this is Josh's first "goodbye" and heartbreak and you guys know how that is far better then me because I married the first woman I ever dated at the age of 22-I was more interested in staying a bachelor and trains then I was girls until she waltz into my life..

As cold as it sounds Josh needs to move along to bigger and better things.
Larry
Engineman

Summerset Ry

Make Safety your first thought, Not your last!  Safety First!
Some of the advice given to Josh is rather insensitive in my opinion... Things like set her free and if she doesn't come back, kill her. Date her best friend for revenge. She's using her dads phone to mess with your mind... come on people. While it may be amusing to some, it's probably not to Josh.
Sent this to Josh...

Josh,
Again, I'm very sorry to know of your sorrow and I wish there was something I could do to help but the answer to this one lies within you and your strength to move forward no matter what the outcome.
Regarding your thread - I feel that there are a lot of people that care about you and most are giving you sound advice. There are a few, however, that are obviously not sensitive to the situation and I fear that you will turn your back on everybody because of those few. If you'd like, I can lock the thread or even remove it. Those that care will continue to PM you.
Let me know.
TrainNut Wrote:Some of the advice given to Josh is rather insensitive in my opinion... Things like set her free and if she doesn't come back, kill her. Date her best friend for revenge. She's using her dads phone to mess with your mind... come on people. While it may be amusing to some, it's probably not to Josh.
Sent this to Josh...

Josh,
Again, I'm very sorry to know of your sorrow and I wish there was something I could do to help but the answer to this one lies within you and your strength to move forward no matter what the outcome.
Regarding your thread - I feel that there are a lot of people that care about you and most are giving you sound advice. There are a few, however, that are obviously not sensitive to the situation and I fear that you will turn your back on everybody because of those few. If you'd like, I can lock the thread or even remove it. Those that care will continue to PM you.
Let me know.
Good response Tom. I think Josh will get the idea that not everyone has his best interests in mind, but there are those here that do care and are willing to say so. I for one am glad you did PM him like that.

Don
Good deal Tom..

I think that part of "Let her go" is spot on..She made the choice and left him in sitting on the "dead line"...I don't think the boy need false encouragement.What he really needs to do is forget the wench and move on just like a friend of mine needs to do instead of pining over a woman that no longer cares if he's alive or dead yet,he still clings to that false hope she'll be back-not likely..Its been 4 years and she lives with a fella that wooed her away from the guy she left my friend for..

One would expect old folk would know better but,some never learn from life's harsh lessons.

My last girlfriend went wild and busted up my Ranger pickup truck over nothing..The funny part we went together 4 years and she never showed that wild side..
Lesson learnt..No more girlfriends!
Larry
Engineman

Summerset Ry

Make Safety your first thought, Not your last!  Safety First!
The first one is always the hardest. I'm not saying that the following ones are any easier. All of us have been there...Done that.
I'm with the rest of you guys. He should move on. He's still young and there are plenty of fish out there for him. As long as he dosen't look back at this last episode, or carry it into the next relationship, he should be fine.
My only concern is.........What happened to that excellent diorama that he built for her?
Torrington, Ct.
NARA Member #87
I went to my Happy Place, but it was closed for renovations.
eightyeightfan1 Wrote:My only concern is.........What happened to that excellent diorama that he built for her?
In a PM I got from him a bit back...
Trucklover Wrote:...I feel bad that I haven't updated the thread about the diorama I made for her, ... I will tell you that she did like it, and her family did as well. I hung it on her wall in her room, ...

Also, got this back in response to my earlier PM...
Trucklover Wrote:Hey TN,

Thanks for the PM and best wishes. And dont worry, I have not been offended by anyone here, i understand their reasoning and appreciate all their advise. I have been reading all the replies, just no longer replying.

I feel that I can no longer make any reply's to that thread.... Ive made my decision and im sticking too it, and nobody can make me change my mind. Ive moved on for now, and am talking to 2 girls right now haha but ill always have that hope and never stop believing that me and Jessica will get back together someday in the future. There is just no way that what we had could just drift away and be forgotten and not bring us back together someday, thats just what I believe....

If you could lock the thread, or even delete it, that would be great. Thanks for your help

Sooooo, into the ash pit it goes I guess. I'll also send a PM to foulrift explaining as he was the original author of the thread.
It was the "hunt it down and kill it".....highlighted in red, that lit my fuse. That struck me as throwing salt on the wounds.
Is airing your pain here inappropriate ? Probably.
Are we somewhat of a surrogate family here? In many ways we try to be, so, in that context, perhaps not quite so inappropriate.
I guess the erosion of time and tide have thinned my "shell" a bit more than I thought...I'm getting soft in my old age........but the "erosion" was fun! Big Grin Big Grin
The thread is on it's way to the ash pit, so that's over and done, and I think I've resolved any hard feelings between me, and Tin Goat. PM's are a good thing, they take the debate out of the public eye, and allow a better understanding of what was meant, as opposed to what was written.
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!
TrainNut

Thanks for checking with Josh about the thread. That was a thoughtful idea. I'm glad he wasn't bothered by it. I like the ash pit as an option, otherwise the thing wuill continue well beyond any need it might serve him and just become a weird vent about ex-girlfriends/ wives thing.

Ralph