Email notification extensive "header" info
Squidbait Wrote:
nolatron Wrote:Depending on the mail server os, mail software, spam software, etc... on both the sender *and* receivers side... used that's not an uncommonly long email header. What you see is just about normal these days.

Most email clients hide all the Header details these days, showing just the usual From, Reply-to, Sent to data. Header info is still viewable by a right click option on a "show header/details" link in web based clients. You may not see it, but it's always there.

True, but it shows up in the email header, not in the body text of the email, as is the case here.

Right, that's what I side... the email header, not email body.

Everything in your header that begins with an "X-" is part the anti-spam software running on the server at receiving end, and can that vary as I mentioned before for a hundred different reason. Everything above that is usually the minimum info attached to an email in its' header.
Shaun,

One of us isn't catching what the other's pitching. All the stuff that we (Me and the Doc, anyways) are quoting in here is in the message body.

Here is the header from the notification for your post:
Quote:Return-Path: <!-- e --><a href="mailto:www-data@choochoo.the-gauge.net">www-data@choochoo.the-gauge.net</a><!-- e -->
Received: from ganges.cs.uoguelph.ca (LHLO ganges.cs.uoguelph.ca)
(172.17.91.201) by zcs3.mail.uoguelph.ca with LMTP; Thu, 29 Apr 2010
14:16:50 -0400 (EDT)
Received: from localhost (localhost.localdomain [127.0.0.1])
by ganges.cs.uoguelph.ca (Postfix) with ESMTP id ECE59FB8101
for <freemanm@uoguelph.ca>; Thu, 29 Apr 2010 14:16:49 -0400 (EDT)
X-Virus-Scanned: amavisd-new at ganges.cs.uoguelph.ca
X-Spam-Flag: NO
X-Spam-Score: -1.232
X-Spam-Level:
X-Spam-Status: No, score=-1.232 tagged_above=-10 required=6.6
tests=[AWL=-0.222, BAYES_05=-1.11, RDNS_NONE=0.1]
Received: from ganges.cs.uoguelph.ca ([127.0.0.1])
by localhost (ganges.cs.uoguelph.ca [127.0.0.1]) (amavisd-new, port 10024)
with ESMTP id Mui+Ga1ISU82 for <freemanm@uoguelph.ca>;
Thu, 29 Apr 2010 14:16:45 -0400 (EDT)
Received: from esa-annu.mail.uoguelph.ca (esa-annu.mail.uoguelph.ca [131.104.91.36])
by ganges.cs.uoguelph.ca (Postfix) with ESMTP id 778C7FB80FE
for <freemanm@uoguelph.ca>; Thu, 29 Apr 2010 14:16:44 -0400 (EDT)
X-IronPort-Anti-Spam-Filtered: true
X-IronPort-Anti-Spam-Result: At8BAHNq2UvPwEpll2dsb2JhbACQbgGLQwNaFQEBAQEBCBUHM4gmulkE
X-IronPort-AV: E=Sophos;i="4.52,296,1270440000";
d="scan'208";a="74734796"
X-SBRS: 5.1
Received: from choochoo.the-gauge.net ([207.192.74.101])
by esa-annu.mail.uoguelph.ca with ESMTP; 29 Apr 2010 14:16:43 -0400
Received: by choochoo.the-gauge.net (Postfix, from userid 33)
id A09809B65D; Thu, 29 Apr 2010 14:16:43 -0400 (EDT)
To: "=?UTF-8?B?U3F1aWRiYWl0?=" <xxxxxxxxxxx@uoguelph.ca>
Subject: =?UTF-8?B?VG9waWMgcmVwbHkgbm90aWZpY2F0aW9uIC0gIkVtYWlsIG5vdGlmaWNhdGlv?=
Message-Id: <20100429181644.778C7FB80FE@ganges.cs.uoguelph.ca>
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2010 14:16:44 -0400 (EDT)
From: <!-- e --><a href="mailto:www-data@choochoo.the-gauge.net">www-data@choochoo.the-gauge.net</a><!-- e -->

Here is the full body text of the message:
Quote: =?UTF-8?B?biBleHRlbnNpdmUgImhlYWRlciIgaW5mbyI=?=
Reply-To: <forum@the-gauge.net>
Sender: <forum@the-gauge.net>
MIME-Version: 1.0
Message-ID: <7c514d4eead955c8b70f5ecdee7377ce@www.the-gauge.net>
Date: Thu, 29 Apr 2010 14:16:41 -0400
Content-Type: text/plain; charset=UTF-8
Content-Transfer-Encoding: 8bit
X-Priority: 3
X-MSMail-Priority: Normal
X-Mailer: PhpBB3
X-MimeOLE: phpBB3
X-phpBB-Origin: <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="phpbb://www.the-gauge.net/forum">phpbb://www.the-gauge.net/forum</a><!-- m -->

Hello Squidbait,

You are receiving this notification because you are watching the topic,
"Email notification extensive "header" info" at "Big Blue". This topic has
received a reply since your last visit. You can use the following link to
view the replies made, no more notifications will be sent until you visit
the topic.

If you want to view the newest post made since your last visit, click the
following link:
<!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href="http://www.the-gauge.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2809&p=46231&e=46231">viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2809&p=46231&e=46231</a><!-- l -->

If you want to view the topic, click the following link:
<!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href="http://www.the-gauge.net/forum/viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2809">viewtopic.php?f=6&t=2809</a><!-- l -->

If you want to view the forum, click the following link:
<!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href="http://www.the-gauge.net/forum/viewforum.php?f=6">viewforum.php?f=6</a><!-- l -->

If you no longer wish to watch this topic you can either click the
"Unsubscribe topic" link found at the bottom of the topic above, or by
clicking the following link:

<!-- l --><a class="postlink-local" href="http://www.the-gauge.net/forum/viewtopic.php?uid=121&f=6&t=2809&unwatch=topic">viewtopic.php?uid=121&f=6&t=2809&unwatch=topic</a><!-- l -->

--
Thanks, The-Gauge.net

This is unique to The-Gauge, as I subscribe to over a dozen different forums that use the same software as The-Gauge, and these are the only emails that contain this info. The rest all start with "Dear Squidbait" and go on from there. If my mail server were adding that text to the message body, wouldn't it do it to all these types of posts?
35 I get it now. Sorry!

Yeah, odd that the header info is getting dumped into the body like that.

I know that the spam score is calculated on the receiving server and dumped into the header of the email (you can see the two different software apps used in the above examples). So that makes it even more strange considering the spam info your mail server is writing to the header is getting dumped into the body.

I've never seen that happen before.
I think Pat was working on this a while ago.. I don't think he could fix it... But I'll send him the link just to see if he ever found anything.....
~~ Mikey KB3VBR (Admin)
~~ NARA Member # 75    
~~ Baldwin Eddystone Unofficial Website

~~ I wonder what that would look like in 1:20.3???
Yea, I think someone brought it up awhile back. I never saw what was causing it to occur and it wasn't happening to any of the mail programs I have (Thunderbird and Mail.app on the Mac). What mail programs are you guys using?

Basically, the deal with emails is they are just plain text files. All of the headers are at the top of the file. Then there is a blank line and the message body follows the blank line. But you guys are posting complete headers.. not even a partial thing as if a blank line is getting inserted in there. This is one of those weird things to try and figure out when I can't see it on my end to play with the messages. If you could get the raw message format, that might be useful to see if something is getting inserted on the way. In Thunderbird, you hit CTRL-U.
Pat,

Here's the source dump from my last notification. I hope you can do something with it.

Attached Files
.doc   gauge-notification-source.doc (Size: 25.5 KB / Downloads: 64)
Ok.. I made a slight change. Can someone post a reply to test?
Woohoo! No headers in the body of the text! Excellent!
That is so weird. I think that bug has been around for a very long time. They haven't fixed it. People just work around it. It has to do with the smtp server setting in the forum software. Why it only effects some users is even more bizarre.
path Wrote:That is so weird. I think that bug has been around for a very long time. They haven't fixed it. People just work around it. It has to do with the smtp server setting in the forum software. Why it only effects some users is even more bizarre.
Could it be their mail client? No problems in the past here using T'Bird...but it sounds like whatever you did worked.. Thumbsup Thumbsup
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
founder of the CANYON STATE RAILROAD
NICE!!!!! Everything before 3 I received.. has the header....

All the e-mails I received after 3 are great!! No header stuff Smile Smile

Cool!!! Thumbsup Thumbsup Thumbsup Thumbsup Thumbsup Thumbsup

Thanks!!
~~ Mikey KB3VBR (Admin)
~~ NARA Member # 75    
~~ Baldwin Eddystone Unofficial Website

~~ I wonder what that would look like in 1:20.3???