Steamtrains' 2010 Summer structure challenge entry
Thanks for your comments.... Thumbsup
I do intend it to be one of (hopefully) two "Signature" structures on the layout. I should be so lucky if it comes anywhere near to JA's enginehouse. I did run across some pictures of it AFTER I had started to work on it. It would have been "a tip o' the hat" to JA to have some of the upper windows open as on his enginehouse, but all my window assemblies were done already.... Sad
One thing is for sure....I will never again try to build a structure that has NO right angles to it....Fitting all those "off-angle" pieces has turned out to be a real chore... Nope
Gus (LC&P).
Steamtrains Wrote:One thing is for sure....I will never again try to build a structure that has NO right angles to it....Fitting all those "off-angle" pieces has turned out to be a real chore... Nope

But Gus, that is what makes your work so impresive! Nothing easy about this project! And you are doing great!
Three Foot Rule In Effect At All Times
Well, I finished all walls and windows...Tomorrow I'll do doors and start working on the roof.
Galen....It's hard to say what the original building was made of. The drawings do state brick construction, but I don't believe that it would have been transformed to wood siding, unless the original structure had deteriorated so badly that it made sense to do it. Either way, I don't think the placement of the columns would have been altered. But who knows?? On the bright side, you really can't see the columns through the window unless you look for them.... Goldth
Dave-Thanks for those links...They've got some great signs, and I'm sure I can use some of them. I was also looking for some that were "workplace oriented"...Something like "Safety First", and such....Anybody else got any idea where to look..??

Thanks to all for your comments and input... Thumbsup

Last pics...

[Image: DSCF2525.jpg]

[Image: DSCF2526.jpg]

[Image: DSCF2527.jpg]
Gus (LC&P).
Absolutelyfreakingbeeutifull! Worship
Cheers,
Richard

T & A Layout Build http://bigbluetrains.com/forum/viewtopic...=46&t=7191
Richard....I'm glad you like it... But I think you might have been referring to some other structure you saw elsewhere.... Goldth
Didn't get anything done today....I tackled one of those 30 min. "honey do's" (changed the AC thermostat), that turned into a 3 hour job... Wallbang
Oh well...There's always tomorrow....
Gus (LC&P).
C'mon ... it's abso-freakin'-lutely lovely! I wanna park my new cute little D-8sd Camelback American in there!

To paraphrase John Lithgow on "Third Rock" ... "Look at it! It's GOR-geous!"
biL

Lehigh Susquehanna & Western 

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." ~~Abraham Lincoln
Thanks P5se....And it looks even better "in person"... 357 357
It's kind of a pain to get it to "come together" so it looks right, but I figure I'll not tackle another project quite like it again, so I'll bear "the pain"...

The doors are still on the workbench.... Sad
Gus (LC&P).
biL...I just saw a pic of your Camelback in the "Photography Game" thread...She's a real beauty... Thumbsup
I don't think my roundhouse would do it justice... Nope
Gus (LC&P).
In the words of another Gauge member that I haven't seen in a while...

That is just SLAP AWESOME!

Man that enginehouse is REALLY looking great!
-Dave
This build real has come together nicely!!

I am looking forward to seeing the roof and doors and hundreds of details for the interior!!

Keep up the great work Cheers
Be Wise Beware Be Safe
"Mountain Goat" Greg

https://www.facebook.com/mountaingoatgreg/
No doubt about it. This is some superb modeling.

[Image: DSCF2527.jpg]
Three Foot Rule In Effect At All Times
Big Grin

Cheers

With all the above!

This is coming along very nicely. The first is always the hardest, I suspect you'll build another similar structure, and it won't be quite the task this was.
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!
Hey guys...Appreciate all yous' comments.... Thumbsup

MGGreg...There won't be any interior details this go around, I'll leave that for something to do further down the road....Speaking of which, what kind of "stuff" would you find in a roundhouse - a modest one, where no "major" operations are done..?? More like maintenance-oriented. I'm thinking that I might build a machine shop in an auxiliary building next to it....

Sumpter...For sure I won't be building another quite like it. The only other "major" building contemplated is a smelter which will go in an as yet-unbuilt section of the layout...
But then...Who knows..?? Plans change.... Goldth
Gus (LC&P).
Gus,
I know scae structures offers a Roundhouse Detail set
It includes a bunch of cast metal parts and has everything from Fire Extinguisher, Work benches, Hand Tools, Barrels, and even a stove.

A little on the spendy side but it is pretty all inclusive
http://66.241.223.134/merchant2/merchant...uct_Count=

One thing I have seen in a lot of roundhouses is a chalkboard so that the shop can keep track of the units in the shop an what needs to be done to them. Also a lot of work benches seem to be a standard detail, they never seem to be cleared so I pretty sure they just build more workbenches then clean off the ones they have. Also you can never go wrong with lots of boxes barrels an cans.
Be Wise Beware Be Safe
"Mountain Goat" Greg

https://www.facebook.com/mountaingoatgreg/
Steamtrains Wrote:But then...Who knows..?? Plans change.... Goldth

Life................is all the things that happen when you are making plans. Confusedhock: Big Grin Big Grin Big Grin
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!