Steamtrains' 2010 Summer structure challenge entry
That might work..!! And maybe a hidden camera to record every movement, and......Nahh...That ain't gonna work.... Nope
Gus (LC&P).
Just a quick update...

Started work on the roof (finally)...I approached it somewhat differently from how a roof is normally built...I 'm building it "backwards", starting with the sheeting, and will finish with the framework....You can do that with a model... Goldth

OK...Here's the 1/16" roof "blank" with the fascia and soffit being fitted...

[Image: DSCF2541.jpg]

And a close-up...
[Image: DSCF2544.jpg]

Working with that itsy-bitsy fascia trim was a real joy..!!...Not to mention all the angle cuts...
The roof framing will come next, the chimeneys, staining & weathering, as well as the tar-paper sheeting.

Now it's beginning to look like something....but still a ways to go...
[Image: DSCF2545.jpg]
Gus (LC&P).
Steamtrains Wrote:Now it's beginning to look like something...

I'll say. It is looking great!
Three Foot Rule In Effect At All Times
Some more....
Thanks for your commment, Gary...I can always count on you to check my stuff out... Thumbsup

Here's the "porch" roof under construction. I used 1/64" ply for the decking or it wouldn't clear the clerestory windows on the front .
[Image: DSCF2550.jpg]

And a couple of pics of the almost-finished structure...
[Image: DSCF2549.jpg]

[Image: DSCF2547.jpg]

The supports for the "porch" won't be put in until the structure is ready for placement on the layout...Don't want those flimsy supports breaking off while messing with it.... Nope

Stay tuned...More to come....
Gus (LC&P).
Steamtrains Wrote:Thanks for your commment, Gary...I can always count on you to check my stuff out... Thumbsup

I may not always have "meaty" thoughts about the subject, but I figure the least I can do is let people know that I am looking at their stuff and appreciate the photos. Also, I learn alot by following along with the construction.

Your roundhouse is shaping up well, and I can envision it on your layout, surrounded by some railroad equipment and junk, some scenery in the background, and a loco or two hanging about. It's gonna make a pretty scene for sure.
Some good ideas an inspiration in this thread - perhaps enough to get me off my rear-end today!
--
Kevin
Check out my Shapeways creations!
3-d printed items in HO/HOn3 and more!
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kevin-s-model-train-detail-parts">https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kevin-s ... tail-parts</a><!-- m -->
That is turning out VERY nicely! Thumbsup
Ralph
Thanks guys....Any excuse is good to get off one's butt and "play" with trains..
Currently working on the smoke stacks and hoods. Hopefully I'll have them finished this weekend (more like Monday.. Goldth ), and then it'll be roofing time.... 2285_
BTW...Anybody have any idea on how to make the shrouds on the smoke stacks..??
Gus (LC&P).
Cone shaped shrouds?
Yup.... Goldth
Gus (LC&P).
Take thin sheet styrene, the thinner the better. Draw a circle which is 25 percent larger than the desired diameter of the bottom of the shroud and cut it out. Then cut a small pie shaped piece out of the circle. Then pull the two cut ends around togehter. This should form a cone. Now, going by what you came out with, trial and error will dtermine if you need to make the original circle bigger, and what size the pie pieces need to be to make what you want.
Gary S Wrote:Now, going by what you came out with, trial and error will dtermine if you need to make the original circle bigger, and what size the pie pieces need to be to make what you want.

You could use paper for your "trials" to save wasting styrene. Another thought could be pastry bag tips. I see those all the time at thrift stores.
--
Kevin
Check out my Shapeways creations!
3-d printed items in HO/HOn3 and more!
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kevin-s-model-train-detail-parts">https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kevin-s ... tail-parts</a><!-- m -->
nachoman Wrote:You could use paper for your "trials" to save wasting styrene.

Doh! :oops:

Wallbang

Yes, definitely use paper first!
OK...I'll give that a try...Thanks. Thumbsup

Update....It works...!!! 2285_ And I note that the size of the wedge determines the "coneniness" (yes, that IS a word... Goldth ) of the cone....
Gus (LC&P).
Alright Gus! I was finally able to give some advice that is of use! Thumbsup