Puddlejumper's photo thread
Love that 4-6-0. Thumbsup
Puddlejumper Wrote:(a lot of people don't realize the RF&p from Alexandria, Va. to Aquia Creek, Va was built by PRR interests) The B&P was merged with the Philadelphia, Wilmington, and Baltimore RR and the Northern Central RR (both also PRR controlled)

I am now a former member of that club! Thanks for the info!

You need to get one of those fine RF&P berkshires...
Michael
My primary goal is a large Oahu Railway layout in On3
My secondary interests are modeling the Denver, South Park, & Pacific in On3 and NKP in HO
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://thesouthparkline.blogspot.com/">http://thesouthparkline.blogspot.com/</a><!-- m -->
nkp_174 Wrote:
Puddlejumper Wrote:(a lot of people don't realize the RF&p from Alexandria, Va. to Aquia Creek, Va was built by PRR interests) The B&P was merged with the Philadelphia, Wilmington, and Baltimore RR and the Northern Central RR (both also PRR controlled)

I am now a former member of that club! Thanks for the info!

You need to get one of those fine RF&P berkshires...

Ya, The Washington & Alexandria and the Alexandria & Fredericksburg were at some point controlled by PRR who funded the construction southward toward Richmond. The PRR had hoped to continue southward into Dixieland, and in fact owned interests in certain roads in the south but at some point was made to sell all of it's southern interests, I can't remember if it was government pressure or if it was political moves/pressures from other RR's.

and yes, an RF&P Berk is on my wish list Cheers
-Dave
Recently released from the Potomac Paint Shop:

[Image: DSCN3455.jpg]
591 is a Brass RS18. Unknown manufacturer.
[Image: DSCN3454.jpg]
301 is a Stewart F3B. I need to add brake cylinders to the trucks.

Also received an Athearn Conrail SD50, and Athearn Conrail SD40. No pix yet.

Dave
-Dave
Dave,
Where is your souped up 0-4-0? You should post photos of it!

Do you have plans of adding any 2-10-0s to the roster in the future?

Keep the photos coming!

Michael
Michael
My secondary interests are modeling the Denver, South Park, & Pacific in On3 and NKP in HO
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://thesouthparkline.blogspot.com/">http://thesouthparkline.blogspot.com/</a><!-- m -->
[Image: ASIDSCN3143.jpg]

Here she is in all her glory. Nothing has changed, still haven't gotten a motor in her. As for the 2-10-0, I considered the Russian Decapod by Bachmann but I am thinking the largest I will go for the home road is 2-8-0.

Dave
-Dave
Puddlejumper Wrote:[Image: ASIDSCN3143.jpg]

Here she is in all her glory. Nothing has changed, still haven't gotten a motor in her. As for the 2-10-0, I considered the Russian Decapod by Bachmann but I am thinking the largest I will go for the home road is 2-8-0.

Dave

Thanks! I'm sure that I'm not the only one whom appreciates.

How about an H-9 2-8-0? Since your road has a distinct Pennsy influence...some ex-Pennsy hand-me-downs would be great. I was thinking I-1 on the 2-10-0 for this purpose...but an H-9 is really much better idea. And E-6 might fly as well...but the H-9 is a natural.

Michael
Michael
I've always wanted a high stepping E6s. That is definitely on the list. I had heard rumors about a Proto Heritage PRR L1s 2-8-2 but apparently that was a bad rumor.
Unfortunately Bowser is quitting the PRR steam kits. BLI has offered the 2-10-4 and 2-10-0 but both are too big for my future layout I fear.

Dave
-Dave
Don't worry, Dave, I'm sure Bowser will still have a few in stock if they sell as well as they have been up till now! Of course, there's always ebay! (I can't even type that without thinking of the Haunted Mansion...'Of course, there's always my way!', out of the stretching room with no windows and no doors, that is Icon_twisted ).

Still it's a great little yardbird. N&W did away with many of its 2-8-0's early on so you could have hypothetically picked up one of those on a bargain, but then finding one in brass may be next to impossible, and you could kitbash one maybe...

Galen
I may not be a rivet counter, but I sure do like rivets!
ocalicreek Wrote:Don't worry, Dave, I'm sure Bowser will still have a few in stock if they sell as well as they have been up till now! Of course, there's always ebay! (I can't even type that without thinking of the Haunted Mansion...'Of course, there's always my way!', out of the stretching room with no windows and no doors, that is Icon_twisted ).

Still it's a great little yardbird. N&W did away with many of its 2-8-0's early on so you could have hypothetically picked up one of those on a bargain, but then finding one in brass may be next to impossible, and you could kitbash one maybe...

Galen

Ooh... N&W, another PRR controlled road and possible influence... anybody make an N&W 4-8-0?
-Dave
No more pix yet, but just thought I'd make a note that the layout room dimensions have been finalized. Still looking at 3 or more months before the addition is done with occupancy permits in hand. The final layout room size will be 19x29. Not bad. I will post givens and druthers soon, and I will be open to ideas.

Dave
-Dave
Nice looking fleet PJ! Thumbsup

I'm building an HO layout that is set in WWII-era Appalachia, & the same type of steam & coal equipment that you have is what I want to have running on it!
I particularly want one of those 10-wheelers!
-Drew-
"Only those who dare to fail greatly can ever achieve greatly."
Thanks for the kind words Drew! I am shooting for a 1955-60 time frame. The 4-6-0 is the pet of the "Brass Hat" and is going to be used for special trains only. The 0-4-0, 0-6-0, and 0-8-0 will be kept in service as well, and I think the time frame, while pretty late in the steam retirement years, is close enough that I won't have to try TOO hard to justify keeping them around.

I look forward to seeing pix of your coal road!

Dave
-Dave
Thanks to Ralph for posting up pix of his GP9B unit, I decided I had to have one. Actually I already had 2 GP9 B unit conversion kits I bought from Walthers, seeing Ralph's unit got me motivated. The kits are for Proto 2000 GP9s, but I didn't have one handy so I converted an Atlas GP7. For future reference the Atlas GP7 is not the best candidate for the conversion. The walkways and battery boxes are cast as a part of the frame and required milling in order to eliminate the cab. The P2K units would be easier because the walkways are seperate from the chassis and body. Also the handrails have to be removed from the Atlas unit in order to remove the body from the chassis. Not so on the Proto units. So here is a pic after I got the conversion done, but before decals. Sorry I didn't take progress pics during the build.

[Image: DSC_0457.jpg]

Since the unit has to run with a cab unit I made it a dummy. I also managed to get a little overspray on one truck, I will correct that and then decal it, and pix when it's done.

Dave
-Dave
Hey, that's good looking! Your pic reminded me that I neglected to add a horn along the side on mine!
Ralph