Athearn boat...variations on a theme
or, "some boats".
In this first pic, four boats, bashed from the standard Athearn flatcar load/ "four to a box", boat, and one standard Athearn boat. From left to right.....the 42' cabin cruiser, built full hull, as a car load, or in a "boatyard" setting. "Sinbad", a 40' bash, and the first of the "variations". It hasn't been off the module, since it was put there almost 20 years ago. Next, the latest project, a 36' cabin cruiser, along the same design as the 42. ( I got tired of shingles ). Fourth in line, the standard Athearn boat. and at the far right, the Lindy L, a 28' variation, built from the "leftovers" of the Sinbad project.

Here, a port bow shot of the five.

The standard Athearn

Port bow close-up of the Sinbad.

Port bow close-up of the Lindy L.

Lindy L, port quarter shot

Port quarter shot of the Sinbad.

Stern shot of the five.

Stern shot of Sinbad, with the new boat to the left, and the 42' to the right. The newest boat is one scale foot wider than the rest. The stock Athearn's beam is OK for a 32' boat, but a bit narrow for anything longer. I did the Sinbad, a long time ago, and I wasn't too worried about the narrow beam. When I did the 42', I regretted not widening the hull. The newest boat, at 36', got the wider beam, and I'm pleased with its appearance. The 36 footer is about the largest that can get into the boathouse ( The 38' boat from GCLaser just fits lengthwise, the 36' just fits with overhead clearance )

We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!
I am certainly pleased with the results. When I've seen those Athearn boats before, they seemed so toy-like. Never considered using them as the start for a kitbash to a model worthy of any layout. Too awesome! My favorite is the 42 foot cabin cruiser, then the Lindy L.

Thumbsup
Three Foot Rule In Effect At All Times
That cruiser is wicked...I've wanted to do something similar but none of those boats have ever made it my way in a junk box.
...prophesy not unto us right things, speak unto us smooth things, prophesy deceits...

My blog>>> <!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.misterbobsmodelworksemporium.blogspot.com">http://www.misterbobsmodelworksemporium.blogspot.com</a><!-- m -->
Awesome man! Those Athearn boats are so toylike stock. I had never even thought of the possibility of kit bashing one into something more realistic! In fact, I have specifically avoided buying an Athearn flat car kit with the boat because I didn't know what I would do with the boat! Now I wish I had some!
"Those Athearn boats are so toylike stock"

"When I've seen those Athearn boats before, they seemed so toy-like. Never considered using them as the start for a kitbash to a model worthy of any layout."
".I've wanted to do something similar but none of those boats have ever made it my way in a junk box."
Thanks for the comments. Goldth
Even the most toy like, can be cannon fodder for the kitbasher. "never throw anything away" Big Grin Big Grin
It is said that " you can't make a silk purse out of a sow's ear", but I've found that a "nylon tote", just might be possible. You just have to recognize the "potential", in that piece of trash, and not be afraid to possibly waste some time to bring out that potential.
That, is what makes this hobby so much fun.
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Killer Kitbashing! Excellent work! Perhaps a nylon tote is being too humble...these are purses for sure.

Galen
I may not be a rivet counter, but I sure do like rivets!
Those are terrific Pete. I like the Sinbad best! Looks like a party boat! Thumbsup
Ralph
Ralph Wrote:Those are terrific Pete. I like the Sinbad best! Looks like a party boat! Thumbsup
Ralph

Actually, it wasn't intended to be a "party boat"...............until the LPB's ( Little Party Babes ) took over. Big Grin
SWEET!

Sign me up for the next cruise on the motor launch "Sinbad!" I'll bring the Yeungling Porter and Traditional Lager!
biL

Lehigh Susquehanna & Western 

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." ~~Abraham Lincoln
Pete that neater than grits , I first thought you were bashing the BB kits which i have seen go for over 100$ on sleze bay Curse sold mine too soon and to cheep, but still great looking boats for the lake .
jim
P5se Camelback Wrote:SWEET!
Sign me up for the next cruise on the motor launch "Sinbad!" I'll bring the Yeungling Porter and Traditional Lager!

The Macallan, 12 years old, single malt Scotch whiskey, would be the preferred offering. Big Grin Big Grin

jim currie Wrote:Pete that neater than grits , I first thought you were bashing the BB kits which i have seen go for over 100$ on sleze bay Curse sold mine too soon and to cheep, but still great looking boats for the lake .
jim

???? The Athearn boat is a BB ( Blue Box ) kit. # 1375, boat, 4 to box. At the time I bought them, in the last century, they were $4.00. I have seen them packaged singly in polybags, for quite a bit more than four bucks each.
Sumpter250 Wrote:The Macallan, 12 years old, single malt Scotch whiskey, would be the preferred offering. Big Grin Big Grin

???? The Athearn boat is a BB ( Blue Box ) kit. # 1375, boat, 4 to box. At the time I bought them, in the last century, they were $4.00. I have seen them packaged singly in polybags, for quite a bit more than four bucks each.

I should have known you were a single malt guy ... O.K., Macallan it is ... and Bushmills for me, then. I'll save the Yeungling Porter for a chase somewhere along the line!

... and I'll keep an eye out for those Blue Box Boats!

[When I lived in the Philadelphia area I had a friend who was a Presbyterian clergyman (who was into N scale.) He went to Seminary in Scotland and came back to the States with a love for Glenfiddich and Glenlivet (sp?), Rugby and playing the bagpipes! He had a little tiny church in Forest Grove, PA, a little tiny village some 40 or 50 miles north of Philly, near New Hope. It was often quite eerie to go visit him after dark as he used to practice the bagpipes at night, sitting on a stone at the very back of the small graveyard next to the church! Confusedhock: 357 ]
biL

Lehigh Susquehanna & Western 

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." ~~Abraham Lincoln
Pete i was refering to the BB kit flat car with boat load. did see two idiots run one over a 1004 a few years back , they normly go for 20 to 30.
Wow today must have been model boat day with trains Icon_lol Got the latest s gaugian mag and there was an articale on an Army MTL(motor tug large) WWII era tug boat as a flatcar load. Not HO but the atheran boat could be a start on the MTL in HO.

The boats look great by the way Thumbsup