Poll: 2010 gauage trip.
You do not have permission to vote in this poll.
August 14/15 weekend at the East Broad top
0%
0 0%
Fall spectacular at the East Broad top
66.67%
6 66.67%
August EBT with fall spectacular as a backup rain date
11.11%
1 11.11%
Summerail
22.22%
2 22.22%
Total 9 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

EBT, Altoona trip
We have a month to go. I have never visited the EBT before so I was hoping that some one that knows the park could suggest a place where we could all meet (Maybe the station in Rock hill furnace). The first train on Saturday the 9th is at 9:00 am, so I assume that is when they open up. If we all get together there we should have enough time to also hit horseshoe curve witch is open from 10 am to 6 pm, located just south west of Altoona. The railroaders museum there is also open from 10 am to 5 pm.
 My other car is a locomotive, ARHS restoration crew  
As I recall, the station is a good place to meet, or near the turntable - there's a parking lot adjacent, although it may fill up fairly early.
I hope to be there for Friday, as I'm most interested in the shop tour. The photo ops sound a little rich for my budget, even though I'd like to support the preservation efforts, but there should be some opportunities at public crossings. I'm not sure how restrictive conditions will be. I'll be there Saturday, too. Wink Big Grin

Wayne
Man you guys and your road trips are making me jealous. With job, family and other commitments, I find it hard most days just to get away to the washroom for a few minutes to "read" the latest issue of MRR magazine. Icon_lol
I'm with you, Tetters!

I don't have work or family to deal with any more but I'm a good 2 & 1/2 days' drive from Orbisonia! I mean, from where I am, it's almost one day's drive just to get out of Florida!!! Confusedhock:

I'm jealous just the same, though! After seventeen years down here, the image of Middle-State Pennsylvania all dressed up in the Colors of Fall is a sight that I'd love to see again ... by being there, not just in pictures! But pictures will have to suffice, I'm afraid. Sad

And then there's the anticipation of a good time, railfanning with friends ... sigh! Cheers
biL

Lehigh Susquehanna & Western 

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." ~~Abraham Lincoln
Well, I was all in for Diesel Days so I'm going to have to set this round out. Have fun, guys.
I think that we should try to meet at the station between 8 and 8:30, as Doc.Wayne says it tends to fill up early... Any questions or ideas, send me a PM or just reply here.
I have a list of addresses to share with anyone that needs them.

EAST BROAD TOP
SR 994& US 522 Rockhill Furnace PA. 16602

HORSE SHOE CURVE
kittaning point road Altoona PA.16602

ALTOONA RAILROADERS MEMORIAL MUSEUM
1300 9th ave Altoona PA. 16602

If all goes well we should meet in the morning at the EBT station, head over the the RRers museum in the afternoon, than finish off the day at the curve.

These are the best addresses I could get , rural PA is a little rough in that department... Wink

Any questions, PM me or reply here...
Clarify, So we're set on Oct 9th around 8-8:30 at East Broad Top
Tom

Model Conrail

PM me to get a hold of me.
Yes sir. See you there!!!
All that in one day? Between the museum and Curve in Altoona I spent a whole day - and only about an hour up on the Curve. Having never been to the EBT I suspect I could easily spend an entire day there as well.

--Randy
Modeling the Reading Railroad of the 1950's in HO

Visit my web site to see layout progress and other information:
http://www.readingeastpenn.com
We are going to play it by ear,,and see how the day pans out. I was never there myself. Some my want to stay at the broad top some may want to move on. We'll talk it over there and figure it out as we go.
I'd have to agree with Randy on this one! Having beeen to all of the venues listed, I'm thinking two days, especially if you think about the travel time between sites. The East Broad Top could easily take one day. The HorseShoe Curve, depending on amount of traffic when you go could easily take half a day, at least.

I never made it to the Railroaders' Museum in Altoona (when was that built ... I don't even remember it?) but I've never been abble to get out of a museum (unless it's light-weight amaturish attempt at museum-ness) in under half a day. I've been on all-day trips to the Philadelphia Museum of Art, The Franklin Institute, The Museum of Natural History (all in Philly) and the Museum of Modern Art (MOMA), the Guggenheim and several others in New York City many, many, many, many times and still have not seen all of any of them!

My guess is you'll see the EBT and maybe a couple "brake-burners" (where the end of a mile-plus-long train disappears in a cloud of brake shoe smoke as it descends) before the light fades.

Good luck! Have fun! Wish I could be enjoying the day with you! Maybe in the next lifetime ...

Oh, yeah ... and have a piece of Wet-Bottom Shu-Fly Pie after dinner for me when you're there in "Dutchy Country" ... that stuff is worth deviating from any diet!!

And remember ..

Take lots of photographs!!!
biL

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." ~~Abraham Lincoln
I think you'll find that the East Broad Top will fill your day pretty well. I dropped by there yesterday on my way home after visiting friends in Ohio and western Pennsylvania. When I realised that the scheduled get-together conflicts with our family plans here (it's the Thanksgiving weekend in Canada, so I won't be able to attend at EBT Sad ), I decided to at least pay a visit while I had the opportunity. In addition to the operating steam on the passenger train, they were offering speeder rides, and the trolleys were running, too. The motor car was also out, and it appeared to have recently arrived after a run. With some of the buildings opened to the public, there'll be even more to see. I planned to spend 15 or 20 minutes to grab a few pictures, but spent over two hours, even though I've been there numerous times. I'll post some pictures (if any turned out) when I get some time.

Wayne
Gentlemen ... ( I use that term advisedly 357 )

I wish I could join you all in my home state, in my old railfanning stomping grounds, but current health conditions wil not permit. I was going to go to my 45th High School Reunion the following weekend and that's not going to happen, either!

So ... I have a small favor to ask ... maybe everyone could take a piece of it.

I have a few ('70's) vintage Quality Craft kits -- four hoppers, three boxcars and a caboose -- that are of East Broad Top prototype. I would like to "do them up in fine style," making them as true to the prototype as possible, car number for car number. I have a couple of grainy images from the instruction sheets that give a general idea, but no real detail.

If a couple of you could get me a few good photos of the caboose with any relevant details, and a few shots of the hoppers and boxcars I'd sure appreciate it. I'd even do a photo "toot" of the builds, if that would in any way pay back the favor.

My activities are of necessity being curtailed at least for the time being until I can regain enough strength to get around a bit, so I'll probably be spending a little more time at the kitchen table, building stuff (I still have doors and assorted detailing to build for my Challenge structure!)

As I have no Slim Gauge right-of-way, and no plans to lay any narrow trackage, I'd just like to build a nice little EBT train, minus motive power, to put on a plexiglas covered, ballasted, detailed display track. Any help you fine gents could afford me would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks! Cheers
biL

BiL, here are a few shots of EBT freight equipment - if I'd known about this beforehand, I could've gotten a lot more (and better ones, too).

Single sheathed (steel) boxcar:
[Image: September2010railroadvacation146.jpg]

Double sheathed boxcar:
[Image: September2010railroadvacation147.jpg]

Close-up of the lettering:
[Image: September2010railroadvacation148.jpg]

Scale test car:
[Image: September2010railroadvacation137-1.jpg]

Hopper car (awaiting repairs):
[Image: September2010railroadvacation125.jpg]

Caboose:
[Image: Pennsylvaniatripphotos085.jpg]