Tall Ships Chicago
I spent the day, yesterday, at Tall Ships. I was able to board and check out "HMS Bounty". The Brig, " Niagara". The Square topsail sloop, "Friends Good Will". The Brig, "Roald Amundsen". The three mast Schooner, "Denis Sullivan" ( had never been on a "tern" before ), and, The Topsail Schooner, "Pride of Baltimore II".
While there was no "public boarding" ( short sail aways only... $$$ ) of the schooner "Roseway", and the Topsail Schooner "Red Witch", I did get to see them under sail.
It was a great day, and well worth the expense, and time, to get to, and see.
Before I forget too much of "Bounty", I have to get out the kit, and annotate the instruction sheet with all the details I saw while on board. Smile
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!
Sounds like an awesome time for a nautical guy! Hope you're taking lots of photos, for reference, of course. Have fun watching all that canvas!

An incredible sight, I'm sure!
biL

Lehigh Susquehanna & Western 

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." ~~Abraham Lincoln
Hey I toured those same ships when they were docked here in T.O.! I took a ton of pictures... I was pretty entralled with the masts and all the riggings. Very mind boggling to look at if you have no idea what all those ropes and pulleys do. I picked up some "VIP" passes, although we really didn't need to "jump the line" for all of them. I was most impressed by "The Pride of Baltimore II". What a gorgeous ship. I wish they would have let us below deck, as from what I could see top side, the interior was amazing. All polished wood, metal fixtures, absolutely spotless. Which was probably why they did not want anyone down there.... 357 Any of the pictures I tried to take of the interior did not work out as it was too dark down there.

Here are some select photo's of our day. I hop you guys like them.

[Image: DSC03758.jpg]
[Image: DSC03757.jpg]
[Image: DSC03760.jpg]
[Image: DSC03765.jpg]
[Image: DSC03766.jpg]
[Image: DSC03767.jpg]
[Image: DSC03768.jpg]
[Image: DSC03769.jpg]
[Image: DSC03775.jpg]
[Image: DSC03776.jpg]
[Image: DSC03781.jpg]
[Image: DSC03782.jpg]
[Image: DSC03784.jpg]
[Image: DSC03785.jpg]
[Image: DSC03789.jpg]
[Image: DSC03811.jpg]
[Image: DSC03812.jpg]
[Image: DSC03816.jpg]
[Image: DSC03818.jpg]
[Image: DSC03819.jpg]
[Image: DSC03820.jpg]
[Image: DSC03821.jpg]
[Image: DSC03822.jpg]
[Image: DSC03823.jpg]
[Image: DSC03824.jpg]
[Image: DSC03826.jpg]
[Image: DSC03827.jpg]
[Image: DSC03829.jpg]
[Image: DSC03830.jpg]
[Image: DSC03831.jpg]
[Image: DSC03833.jpg]
"Very mind boggling to look at if you have no idea what all those ropes and pulleys do. "

The process is called.." learning the ropes ". Big Grin

( "Before I forget too much of "Bounty", I have to get out the kit, and annotate the instruction sheet with all the details I saw while on board." ).
After reading a bit about "Bounty", and that she was once a collier, "Bethia", I decided to build the Revell kit as "Bethia". Apparently, that vessel name, and history, was forgotten because of the "mutiny", and there are precious few, if any models of her, so most of the "bounty details", are now of little use.
In fact, all current research on that name, leads only to HMS / HMAV Bounty. I need to order McKay's book,"Anatomy of The Ship, The Armed Vessel Bounty", as it is supposed to contain the admiralty drawings that show what changes were made to "Bethia", before she was renamed "Bounty".
Looks like I just might have some cannon, and some swivel guns, to "detail the Seaport" with. Icon_twisted Big Grin
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!