My Hometown---Part 2
I thought I was familiar with most of my hometown's railfanning locations until I heard a couple of local train watchers discussing the Southern Ontario Railway's new motive power at Hamilton's diesel shop.I was embarrassed as I asked where these facilities were located---interesting thing is that I've driven past the spot on a regular basis without realizing what was hidden just off the main road.Not the best spot for taking pictures I was still able to get a few shots.

[Image: 020_zps44dc5f24.jpg]

[Image: 016_zps9a818b80.jpg]

[Image: 019_zps7c3bd5d5.jpg]
Nice Ed. G&W is in Ontario too. I'll look forward to seeing them next summer too.
Charlie
CP has a total of 130 GP20 ECO's on it's roster---here's a link to the railroad's rebuilding stategy :

Small diesels, big impact
You may have noticed that since 2012,
the flow of new line-haul diesels into
our network, such as General Electric®
ES44ACs, has braked to a halt. That’s
because through careful planning we’ve
been able to operate growing volumes
with fewer total line-haul locomotives.
That share of the capital budget is
instead going towards the purchase of
Electro-Motive® Diesel (Caterpillar®)
GP20 remanufactured locomotives.
This year, CP is bringing in
60 of these 2200-series four-axle
locomotives, primarily for yard and
local freight services. “This is the first
major reinvestment in yard locomotives
in decades,” Deryk notes. “The
industry as a whole, hasn’t built new
four-axle locomotives in a long, long,
long time.”
Technically, the 2200s are
remanufactured locomotives. Their
trucks, traction motors, air compressors,
main alternators and electrical
components come from retired CP units.
However, their diesel engines, electric
generators, operator’s cabs, radiators and
long hoods are entirely new. In terms of
mechanical reliability and pulling power,
these are new locomotives.
Tom Lambrecht, CP’s vicepresident
mechanical, says the 60
GP20s slated for delivery this year
will expand CP’s total fleet to 130.
He notes yard-service locomotives are
critical to serving our customers, as
they operate local, branch line and yard
jobs where line-haul locomotives are
too big.

Over the past year several of these locomotives have become common sights in Hamilton including #'s 2262,2266,2280,2288,2241 and for the first time 2252 which I spotted this morning at Kinnear Yard.Glad I was able to catch some of the GP9's in the past as they have become very rare these days.

[Image: 001_zpsbe90737d.jpg]

[Image: 005_zps89fd559f.jpg]
Train 148 eastbound through Bayview

[Image: 6f265ae1-d088-4e85-9771-2637f451e495_zpsb3f4a642.jpg]

[Image: 0bba5b7a-f45b-4b16-b2c0-5bbd869c74b9_zps72f28d63.jpg]
This one went through Leetonia this morning, I thought it looked like it was a part of your hometown. It looks at home with all the snow.    
Charlie
Charlie B Wrote:This one went through Leetonia this morning, I thought it looked like it was a part of your hometown. It looks at home with all the snow. [ATTACHMENT NOT FOUND]
Charlie

Hi Charlie---your picture reminds me of the CP mainline that runs parallel to Lawrence Rd.just east of Hamilton's Kinnear Yard.Here's a shot taken over a year ago,probably the last time I saw those locomotives (SD60 and two SD40-2's) in this area.

[Image: ae048add-9d3c-4303-8397-f42e86d31a38.jpg]
Well my hockey season is finally over so it was time to pack away my gear and get out the camera for some local rail-fanning.Even though it was really cold today(-8 C ) the train action was hot---here's some of the photos taken around my hometown this morning.

[Image: 005.jpg]

[Image: 007_1.jpg]

[Image: 011.jpg]

[Image: 016_1.jpg]

[Image: 028.jpg]

[Image: 054.jpg]

[Image: 043.jpg]

[Image: 047.jpg]

[Image: 049.jpg]
Well it was a good day for you despite the cold. Conditions were about the same here.
Great pictures Cheers Thumbsup Thumbsup Thumbsup
Charlie
Ed,

Cheers

Bruce
Thanks Bruce and Charlie.I have to admit I was very pleased to catch those new GE ES44AC units on train 422 this morning.On Sunday night I was looking at another train web-site and someone had posted the message that these locomotives had just arrived in Fort Erie Ontario and were scheduled to continue their journey eastward the next morning on train 422 which is a regular freight that passes through Hamilton---the train usually runs through Bayview between 9AM-12 noon---I was at Bayview at 8AM.It was a good morning with 3 passenger trains and a couple of freights while I waited for the big catch---finally at 11:30 train 422 came slowly out of Hamilton.Maybe the engineer saw the crazy railfanner standing in the cold because the train passed me at a very low speed---I was able to snap a shot of all eight GE's as it crept past.
Roster shots of brand new units are like working builders photos. I have a few new B23-7's that are now probably molecules in my new Ford Transit. Great to look back on.
Charlie
Right out of the box,CN's newest ES44AC 2959 looks pretty spiffy as she is being delivered to her new owners---even the trucks are sparkling in the morning sun.

[Image: 278c1513-6798-48bb-bee7-1c3b04adb218.jpg]
CP SD40-2 #5879 leads a westbound freight through Kinnear Yard on a cold,wet Tuesday morning

[Image: 00220Large.jpg]
Today's noon-time action at Bayview

[Image: 0087d1f0-b647-4443-b122-cc98185a9bf8.jpg]

[Image: cd7f54fd-22d0-4e50-b7eb-4449ce147c90.jpg]

[Image: 9269c039-fb30-48c9-998d-efa964603442.jpg]

[Image: 018_1.jpg]
Looks like you too had a beautiful day. It's so good to go out without winter clothes, but I all ready had to remove a tick from yesterdays follies.
Charlie