Experiment for grass tufts
These store-bought static generators are safe, just keep your fingers off the screen. Noch would not be selling these thngs if they presented a danger to life or limb. While the 120 volt input ion generator I am using may seem unsafe, like I mentioned, whenever you walk barefooted on concrete or the lawn, you are connected to the neutral side of the 120/240 volt electrical service at your house already. My static generator is doing the same thing - and since one side of the static generator is already connected to the earth, essentially the entire earth becomes one side of the capacitive static charge being produced, and the dadburned thing might even work without the "probe in the glue".

Now... safety... with my 120 volt model, I did take a wire with alligator clip from the neutral/common of the ion generator which I attach to the layout while laying the grass, just to ensure a good connection without relying on the earth. And that presents the danger of plugging the thing in to an improperly wired outlet - which would result in the alligator clip being at 120 volts instead of at the neutral potential. And then, if you grab the alligator clip while standing on the earth or touching something which is "grounded, you get shocked. Since I am an electrician, and know how to check these things and show them the proper respect, I don't have any issues with using my machine. Now, I don't recommend the 120 volt ion generator to anyone - not because it is a danger, but because it could be if any part of the electrical system is wired improperly.

And with yor Noch model, you are good to go... again, they wouldn't be allowed to sell these things if they were a danger.
Three Foot Rule In Effect At All Times
Oh... gotta ask. With the Noch, were there any safety precautions in the instructions?
Three Foot Rule In Effect At All Times
Gary S Wrote:Oh... gotta ask. With the Noch, were there any safety precautions in the instructions?

I did read a warning for heart pacemaker users only.
Reinhard
It was right after I got the Noch unit that I ...

a) ... sorta dropped everything else and concentrated all model railraoding efforts on the structure for the Challenge, which I was able to work on again today (well, I s'pose as I write this, it would technincally be yesterday) and ...

b) ... I have had a couple of exascerbated COPD episodes and spent some time "away from home" so ...

... the darn thing has never even had the package opened!

When I do open the package, I will read all printed material first before even plugging it in ... I will be, as usual, very respectful when interacting with Reddie Kilowatt!

Thanks, Gary, your endorsement is good enough for me. (I'll wear my Crocs any way!)
biL

Lehigh Susquehanna & Western 

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." ~~Abraham Lincoln