active topics
Thanks Andrew. The thing with the active topics is that it allowed an easy peek back into the last few days, where the new posts function doesn't. Alot of times I will view posts and not reply right then, with the intention of revisiting the thread and replying later. Not so easy to do that now.

Thanks again for looking. Smile
Three Foot Rule In Effect At All Times
I simply subscribe to those threads which I want to watch - if you don't want to reply, scroll to the bottom of the page and just click on "Subscribe Topic". Misngth (I'm currently subscribed to 834 topics.) Eek 35

Wayne
doctorwayne Wrote:I simply subscribe to those threads which I want to watch - if you don't want to reply, scroll to the bottom of the page and just click on "Subscribe Topic". Misngth (I'm currently subscribed to 834 topics.) Eek 35

Wayne
Wayne that works fine for old topics you have viewed once, but the problem with the forum seems to be quick disappearance of threads at times. I always check "view new posts", but there are times it doesn't even show posts made within the last day. Other times I get a good list and the ones with new posts I haven't viewed have the red tag. There may be some pattern here, but the behavior seems random to me. I have missed a lot of threads because of this. The same thing happens on both my computers with 2 different browsers.
Charlie
Here is a screen shot of the "active topics" from this morning:

[Image: image.php?album_id=175&image_id=3319]

Obviously these are not the only active topics since December 5th. I say December 5th because that is the date of the last post on the last thread shown on the screen. If I was a guest here, deciding whether to join Big Blue or some other forum, I would probably go elsewhere, as 5 active topics since December 5th is darned slow for a forum.

If the active topic button isn't functioning properly, probably should delete it all together.
Charlie B Wrote:
doctorwayne Wrote:I simply subscribe to those threads which I want to watch - if you don't want to reply, scroll to the bottom of the page and just click on "Subscribe Topic". Misngth (I'm currently subscribed to 834 topics.) Eek 35

Wayne
Wayne that works fine for old topics you have viewed once, but the problem with the forum seems to be quick disappearance of threads at times. I always check "view new posts", but there are times it doesn't even show posts made within the last day. Other times I get a good list and the ones with new posts I haven't viewed have the red tag. There may be some pattern here, but the behavior seems random to me. I have missed a lot of threads because of this. The same thing happens on both my computers with 2 different browsers.
Charlie

Charlie...

One thing I am pretty sure of (was going to say *know*, but given the magical component of technology, one can never be certain) is that the "new posts" are new to you. If you have visited recently, you are likely to get fewer new posts when you return - assuming that the cookies are working as they should.

We (moderators + Don and Mikey) are still trying to determine the formula used to figure what constitutes an "active" topic. I get the same view of active topics whether I am signed in or not (except they may be marked read or unread), and it is the same view that Gary showed above. So the formula is consistent - just not especially helpful.

Andrew
OK, hang in there, I think I found something and it's going to take a bit of time to work through it. Just be patient and I'll try to get to it by tomorrow. I'll let you know when It's taken care of. Thumbsup Thumbsup
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
founder of the CANYON STATE RAILROAD
OK, it didn't take as long as I thought it would. It looks like the list is pretty well populated now. Let me know if the problem persists or comes back. As a matter of fact, just let me know if it's fixed now. Icon_lol

I'm sorry it took so long to find, but thanks to your insistence that there was a problem, I was able to pursue it until I found a solution. Thumbsup Thumbsup Thumbsup
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
Hey, it is back. I really missed "active topics". It looks like it used to. Thank you!
Kurt
Thanks for tracking this down Don! Thumbsup Thumbsup

Andrew
yea!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It's back Dancing 2296_ 2285_ 2296_ 2285_ Dancing
 My other car is a locomotive, ARHS restoration crew  
Woohooo! Many thanks to the powers that be. Thanks Don! Thumbsup
Cheers ...

Thanks EZ... Thumbsup
Gus (LC&P).
Glad we were able to find the problem. It took a bit of digging, but apparently, the upgrade turned off switches on most all of the forums that allowed them to show up in this search list. It wasn't apparent what happened until I found where these switches were located and was able to enable them once again. At lease we'll know where they are should this happen again. Big Grin
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
Your the best Don. Thanks Cheers
 My other car is a locomotive, ARHS restoration crew  
You beez da man, Echo Zulu!

Thumbsup
biL

Lehigh Susquehanna & Western 

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." ~~Abraham Lincoln