SP Woodchip Gon (class G-100-25)
cnw1961 Wrote:One question though. Where did you get the measurement you need to build that car? Do you have a model of that car and took measurements from that or do you have another source?

Hello Kurt,

excellent question! There is no commercial model of that car, at least I dont know one. I knew the inside length of the car and I have found a picture where it sits in a yard coupled to another class of SP Woodchip Gons. The other Gon is marked "Excess Heigth" and has that white stripe at its ends. My car just reaches the white stripe of the other car. So I took one of my commercial "excess height" models and measured how high that stripe is above rails.
Jens
" I did not try to cut correct sized triangles. I rather added oversized pieces of strip and removed the unwanted material when the glue was dry. "

Now where have I seen that technique before?..........Oh, yes, now I know, I've actually done that before ! Big Grin Big Grin
This is progressing very nicely !

I was "distracted" by your work, and missed that you were new to the gauge, so.... Welcome Welcome Welcome
I hope you find this place a comfortable place to share your interests.
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!
Hi Jens, did you make any progress on this car? I am stiing here, biting my fingernails, waiting how this story will go on! Wink
Kurt
Not much progress. I ran out of brake gear components. Or maybe I have misplaced them after moving last year. Anyway I have ordered some.
Jens
What I have not shown yet is how I build the bolsters. They cannot be seen when the car is on the rails, so their design is rather simple. Keeping them simple also helps to get them made perfect... and this is mandatory. Any flub on the bolsters will make the car leaning or wobbling later when put into service.

The brake parts arrived here somewhen back. I went back at the workbench just to realize that I have also run out of ladders. I hate it being so much unorganized. Since I am not in the mood to order those parts and wait for them to arrive, I sat down and tried to make my own ladders. This is the best I came up with. Unmagnified, the ladders do not look that bad - so this is a go!

Jens