Steam era signals
Lester Perry Wrote:I have watched switching operations for the last 20 years and the brakeman uses a radio to communicate with the engineer. But what about in steam era? I only know of one practice of how an engineer knew when he was clear a crossing on a main line. He knew how many cars he had and knew land marks for train length. But what about in a yard or spotting a car in a curved track? Someone had to say stop some way when vision is blocked.

The Strasburg Railroad uses hand signals all the time when coupling and uncoupling the engines to the passenger cars during tourist runs. It's great to see.
~~ Mikey KB3VBR (Admin)
~~ NARA Member # 75    
~~ Baldwin Eddystone Unofficial Website

~~ I wonder what that would look like in 1:20.3???
Russ Bellinis Wrote:I think I remember reading somewhere that the crews would use lanterns to signal when switching after dark.

Yep. That was primary job of the classic railroad lantern. The wire framed base version was typically for the flagman/rear end brakeman, the heavy base was for the head end brakeman. Lanterns make hand signals visible in the dark. Fuses where the night time equivalent of flags, and torpedos were used where you really wanted to be safe. A retired flagman who was a friend of my father's used to keep fuses, flags, and torpedos in his old caboose for authenticity purposes (it is NKP 1091, a pre-turn of the century wood car on display in Lima, OH). As soon as he passed, my father removed the torpedos and most of the fuses...for wouldn't it be great if someone during an open house got into them?

Interesting insight into the air usage, brakie...after all, every caboose I can recall has/had a release valve on platform.
Michael
My primary goal is a large Oahu Railway layout in On3
My secondary interests are modeling the Denver, South Park, & Pacific in On3 and NKP in HO
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://thesouthparkline.blogspot.com/">http://thesouthparkline.blogspot.com/</a><!-- m -->
...Both end platforms (ex PRR cabins, at least), with a whistle for signals/crossings, and a multi-position valve at the work table and in the cupola for rear end crew use in slowing/stopping the train in case of trouble. Bob C.
James Thurber - "It is better to know some of the questions than all of the answers."
WOW this has taken off. I was just doing some switching in my yard and got to thinking about it. I remember watching them using a radio and how gently they coupled cars when the locomotive was no where to be seen. From the reply's here I guess in the pre radio years it was pretty rough. Lot of slamming and banging.
Les
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://www.lesterperry.webs.com/">http://www.lesterperry.webs.com/</a><!-- m --> Check it out
http://www.youtube.com/lesterperry/
There are a few videos out there on Youtube showing steam-era switching. No rougher handling than today with radios. If you watch some you will see the hand signals used, one of which is as the cars to be coupled get close, the brakeman holds his hands a distance apart and brings them closer together indicating the seperation, until he finally waves a stop. Exprience will tell him how much further the last car will move as the slack stretches out based on the slope of the railroad. Even at Strasburg, where they often switch and couple up with just hand signals, not the radios, they aren't slammign into cars - not only would it be bad for vintage equipment, it would be annoying and potentially dangerous for the passengers.

--Randy
Modeling the Reading Railroad of the 1950's in HO

Visit my web site to see layout progress and other information:
http://www.readingeastpenn.com
As a teenager in the 60's, I had the chance to ride with train crews that used only hand/lantern signals to do all switching and I can assure you that it was no rougher than anything you see today where radios are used. It was fascinating to watch them switch long cuts of cars inside huge distillery complexes at night using only lantern signals. Everyone worked together and knew where to be at all times while working in locations with close clearances and sharp curves. Smooth couplings and accurate car spotting were the the norm.

Old head engineers would do things like count telephone poles to judge distances and look for certain landmarks as a way to measure train lengths, etc. Seems that this is a lost art these days, although every now and then you'll still see switchmen using hand signals while working.
Ed
"Friends don't let friends build Timesavers"
I used to work on a local that had to build a train with the engine on a grade, in the woods, on a curve. Of course we used radios. but I asked this old head engineer that hired on the PRR and worked for PC, CR, and now CSX, how was it done "back then". He said it was nearly impossible to relay hand signals there, it would have required a 12 man crew just to relay signals. So a traiman would ride the leading car of each shove and control the air brakes with the angle cock of the car he was riding. He said the engineer would watch the gauge in the cab of the engine and would know by watching the fluctuations on the gauge when to apply throttle or brake. Then after each joint, he would count to 30- to allow time for the trainman to lace the hoses- and pull, and again watch the gauge. Then stop, count to 30, and shove, watch the gauge. They had a plan all worked out to put their train together, then he would pull up to a grade crossing after the 4th double up, and the rest of the crew would meet him there. Not real sure where the cabin car, or brake test fits into all this.

Being hired in the modern era, I can't even imagine trying to hang on the side of a moving hopper and work the air using the angle cock, sounds dangerous, but he insisted the work was actually safer back then. I don't know how he figured that.

Dave
-Dave
Being hired in the modern era, I can't even imagine trying to hang on the side of a moving hopper and work the air using the angle cock, sounds dangerous, but he insisted the work was actually safer back then. I don't know how he figured that.

Dave
------------------
We didn't work the air from a car(other then a caboose) back then.We relied on hand signals and radio communications while hanging on the side of the car.

And yes it was safer because you had 2 other men watching your back during switching moves.

Back then we didn't worry to much about the inherited job dangers..We simply knew our jobs and how to do things in a safe manner to include swinging on and off moving equipment and when not to,how to set the handbrake from a end ladder etc.Speaking of sitting the handbrakes that wasn't a fun thing when the ladder was ice covered..Remember,you're hanging on the ladder with one hand with both feet on a rung while cranking the brake wheel.
Larry
Engineman

Summerset Ry

Make Safety your first thought, Not your last!  Safety First!
Brakie Wrote:Speaking of sitting the handbrakes that wasn't a fun thing when the ladder was ice covered..Remember,you're hanging on the ladder with one hand with both feet on a rung while cranking the brake wheel.

It really helps you to appreciate the brakemen from before the power brake era...being responsible for 3-20cars each...riding on top of swaying cars through rain, sleet, or snow...having to race up and down ladders...jump from car to car...and tightening the brakes with a club...everytime the engineer called for it...and then reversing the process a few minutes later. Little wonder it was one of the ten most dangerous professions. Life may have been cheaper, but they had courage.
Michael
My secondary interests are modeling the Denver, South Park, & Pacific in On3 and NKP in HO
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://thesouthparkline.blogspot.com/">http://thesouthparkline.blogspot.com/</a><!-- m -->
nkp_174 Wrote:
Brakie Wrote:Speaking of sitting the handbrakes that wasn't a fun thing when the ladder was ice covered..Remember,you're hanging on the ladder with one hand with both feet on a rung while cranking the brake wheel.

It really helps you to appreciate the brakemen from before the power brake era...being responsible for 3-20cars each...riding on top of swaying cars through rain, sleet, or snow...having to race up and down ladders...jump from car to car...and tightening the brakes with a club...everytime the engineer called for it...and then reversing the process a few minutes later. Little wonder it was one of the ten most dangerous professions. Life may have been cheaper, but they had courage.

Here's a tidbit of information I came by in book called "Bradford(Oh)..The Railroad Town" by Scott Trostel.

The family of brakemen kept a clean sheet in the event that dreaded knock on the door came..The Brotherhood would take up a collection and present this money and a Bible to the widow..
Larry
Engineman

Summerset Ry

Brakie Wrote:Here's a tidbit of information I came by in book called "Bradford(Oh)..The Railroad Town" by Scott Trostel.

The family of brakemen kept a clean sheet in the event that dreaded knock on the door came..The Brotherhood would take up a collection and present this money and a Bible to the widow..

Both incredible and quite sad.

I need to borrow that book from my father and read it. My dad grew up near Bradford and goes back to the '60s with Scott.
Michael
Michael,That book is a very interesting read and as you know it deals with the PRR in Bradford..

I lost my copy in the flood..
Larry
Engineman

Summerset Ry