Not logged in
That comment about the ISP not being able to do anything triggered something in the deep recesses...!

My ISP offers a "security package" that fortunately does not work on my Mac. Not sure of the details, but it could be that you have something similar that is trying to "save you from yourself". 35

Don's suggestion of looking at your settings before your session and then again if you get logged-out is a good first step. You might also want to make sure that the browser is up to date, and does not have security settings that might be interfering. If you've recently upgraded, it might be possible that you've reverted to the defaults causing unexpected behaviour.

That's all I can think of for now. Hope it helps... Must be frustrating.

Andrew
Gary S Wrote:I am getting logged out multiple times as I sit at the computer viewing the forum. Every 3 or 4 page changes, every couple of minutes, I get logged out and have to log back in. It gets quite annoying. Also, I am the only one using this computer. It is set to log in automatically to the forum. I am on satelite service, so maybe they are doing something?

That sounds more and more like an internet connection problem....next Question, Does this happen Only here, or does this also happen at other forums, or other places on the internet ?

Remote possibilities:
Satellite Service---but this would cause problems "everywhere" ( all internet visits, not just here-----unless it's "time coincidental" ---the cause only occurs at specific times, and you happen to be using your computer at that time).
Power spikes---you could be getting partial resets caused by AC power spikes---again, this would happen "everywhere".
Vestiges of virus that antivirus software might have left behind.
Antivirus/anti spyware software.
File fragmentation on the hard drive.
Your neighbor's HAM radio transmissions. ( go ahead and laugh, but I had a problem with an online microfiche printer that turned out to be caused by the freight elevator, just down the hall, and, in the days of reel to reel tape inputs, a problem caused by the afternoon sun, shining on the "end of tape" sensor ). In my years of troubleshooting, I came to respect even the concept of "flush the toilet, so the furnace can function, fix the Kitchen sink, so the car will start" Eek

There has to be a common denominator somewhere, finding it can be frustrating. One of the best courses to correction is, when it happens, what else had just happened ? Once determined, disable that "what else" while you are online, and see if the problem goes away......and then comes back when that "what else" is enabled..........and-- don't rule out something because it sounds too irrational, the problem you describe is
For example, " Now, I have gone for months and months without any issues, but every now and then, the issue arises. I am on satellite service, so maybe they are doing something? " Sun Spot activity ?,
Is this a seasonal thing ?, is this a "wildly random" thing ?, is this connected to uplink/downlink equipment maintenance?
Do others, using the same Satellite service have similar problems?
When the root cause of a problem is not obvious, the course of action is-----suspect everything. 357
Oh, please understand, my mind is sick enough, and twisted enough, that I actually enjoy "untying the Gordian Knot" :o Icon_twisted
Luck, Courage, determination,
Pete
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!
I just spent 5 days at our campground. Using the camp's internet connection, I had the same problem with BigBlue logging me out after looking at a half dozen pages -- not predictable. Often started (or noticed) when I tried to post. Re-logging got me kicked off faster.
This has been a problem in the past, usually when using someone else's internet connection.
When we come back home, the system works perfectly.

Some places BigBlue works fine but another forum has problems.
David
Moderato ma non troppo
Perth & Exeter Railway Company
Esquesing & Chinguacousy Radial Railway
In model railroading, there are between six and two hundred ways of performing a given task.
Most modellers can get two of them to work.
Thanks for the suggestions, everyone. I'm gonna hang around a bit tonight and see if the problem persists. I don't think I did anything new here. I haven't been having the problem from work, only from home. I'm thinking it is something with my satelite provider.
Gary S Wrote:Thanks for the suggestions, everyone. I'm gonna hang around a bit tonight and see if the problem persists. I don't think I did anything new here. I haven't been having the problem from work, only from home. I'm thinking it is something with my satelite provider.
It could be your provider, or more likely, it could be the way you have your browser set in your home computer. Good luck, keep us posted, we'll try to help you the best we can.
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
founder of the CANYON STATE RAILROAD
Thanks Don. I'm due for a new computer anyway - the home computer is quite outdated, and is using an older version of Explorer.