MAINTENANCE OF WAY THREAD
Todd---this has turned out to be a great thread with lots of excellent contributions Thumbsup I was going through my photo collection and found some of my earliest pictures taken in 1984---interestingly some of them included a Speno rail grinder---sorry for the poor quality but I was just a rookie then Icon_lol

[Image: P1060789.jpg]

[Image: P1060782.jpg]
thank you Ed for you kind words. i agree there are some fantastic and interesting photos on here so far. i know have learned a lot and got to see a variety of equipment i would have never gotten a chance to view. hope we get a lot more contributions to this site.

Todd

Ed
"Friends don't let friends build Timesavers"
CR track geometry train. Moving right along at track speed.

[Image: 1-20-2010_122-1.jpg]
[Image: 1-20-2010_123-1.jpg]
[Image: 1-20-2010_116.jpg]
[Image: 1-20-2010_117.jpg]
[Image: 1-20-2010_118.jpg]
[Image: 1-20-2010_119.jpg]
[Image: 1-20-2010_114.jpg]
[Image: 1-20-2010_115.jpg]
-Dave
Another Geometry car,Stuart St.,Hamilton Ontario 1984

[Image: P1060784.jpg]
An another on the NJ Transit Light Rail River Line in Pennsauken, NJ

Bruce

Attached Files Image(s)

CSX geometry train:

[Image: 5328234014_ec6bb60f5a_z.jpg]
CSX6025DefianceOH1-5-11 by railohio, on Flickr
Pardon my ignorance ...

Exactly what is the function of a "Track Geometry Car" or train?

My very uneducated guess would be that it checks track gauge for proper dimension and confirms a parallel rail condition.
Beyond that, I'm clueless!

Thanks in advance for any insightful edification!

I am aware of the "Sperry Rail Car," long a fixture on the railroads of this country,
but beyond being yellow and interesting looking with all sorts of apendages on its roof,
I have no earthy idea what its function might be! :oops:
biL

Lehigh Susquehanna & Western 

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." ~~Abraham Lincoln
It does exactly what you think and then some, It checks to make sure there are no deviations from arc on a curve, and checks the track elevation side to side as well as looking for dips in the track. Some of these cars can electronically check for defects in the rail, but they usually have a contractor do that because when the number of defects to repair equal the time required to repair them, they shut down the inspection until the repair teams catch up. (It's not a defect until you find it, and once found the track speed has to be reduced until it is repaired)
Charlie
Southern RR of NJ MOW equiptment

Bruce

Attached Files Image(s)

Some more from the Popes Creek branch in Southern Maryland. CSX, former CR/PC/PRR territory. Also where I took the previous photos of the CR track geometry train.

[Image: 1-21-2010_291.jpg]
[Image: 1-21-2010_289.jpg]
[Image: 1-21-2010_288.jpg]
[Image: 1-21-2010_285-1.jpg]
[Image: 1-21-2010_284-1.jpg]
[Image: 1-21-2010_274-1.jpg]
-Dave
[Image: 1-21-2010_273-1.jpg]
[Image: 1-21-2010_270-1.jpg]
[Image: 1-21-2010_269-1.jpg]
[Image: 1-21-2010_267-1.jpg]
-Dave
Here is a Brandt Truck hauling 4 loads of ballast west through Conpitt Junction,Pa.

Todd

Attached Files Image(s)

A few more inspection cars, and a Hi-rail truck
Charlie

Attached Files Image(s)

Charlie B Wrote: It does exactly what you think and then some, It checks to make sure there are no deviations from arc on a curve, and checks the track elevation side to side as well as looking for dips in the track. Some of these cars can electronically check for defects in the rail, but they usually have a contractor do that because when the number of defects to repair equal the time required to repair them, they shut down the inspection until the repair teams catch up. (It's not a defect until you find it, and once found the track speed has to be reduced until it is repaired)
Charlie

Thank you Charlie ...

I have now been enlightened! I will ponder the possibility of including a very, very early Sperry to my layout concept.

Do you have any idea around what year the first took to the rails to do their thing?
biL

Lehigh Susquehanna & Western 

"America will never be destroyed from the outside. If we falter and lose our freedoms, it will be because we destroyed ourselves." ~~Abraham Lincoln