MAINTENANCE OF WAY THREAD
First off, It's nice to see the MOW aspect of railroading getting a good following in the model forum. I've always said that MOW adds another interesting part to a model railroad. The best part is that MOW equipment dosen't need to be functional to add realism to the scene. Furthermore, you can add them to just about any scene and make it "fit in".

How many trips have you made to a hobby shop or catalogs have you browsed through, and bypassed those crane and gon combo's to get to loco's and rolling stock? In a recent trip to the local hobby shop, I noticed some great looking hi-rail vehicles in HO scale. i always seem to overlook these unique items.

Maybe now we will take a 2nd look.
Doing my best to stay on track and to live each day to it's fullest, trying not to upset people along the way. I have no enemies.....just friends who don't understand my point of view.

Steve

Let's go Devils!
Here is an Norfolk&Western MOW Gon going through Conpitt Junction,Pa. back in August 2008.

Todd

Attached Files Image(s)

Brush Cutter sitting at Southfork Yard.

Todd

Attached Files Image(s)

At the CSAO Pavonia Yard, Camden, NJ

Bruce

Attached Files Image(s)

Caught an NS work train (90Z) dumping some ballast from side dump cars in Georgetown, KY, this afternoon and here are a few photos:
90Z Arriving at Georgetown, KY with NS GP-60 6672 for power:     Let's dump her...
Going...     Going...     Gone...     And a shot from the opposite side of the car...    
Finally for those that have never seen this in action, here's a video I put together of the car being dumped
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5_7NhUqQ_Ek
Ed
"Friends don't let friends build Timesavers"
FCIN

Those are some really nice and interesting photos.

Todd
Ballast Tamper and Rewgulator at Kiski Junction Railroad. June 2011.

Todd

Attached Files Image(s)

Loram RailVac, Danville, KY, June 24, 2011    
Ed
"Friends don't let friends build Timesavers"
FCIN

is that a ballast cleaner? nice pic. though.

Todd
Here's a very useful piece of MOW equipment

[Image: P1070979.jpg]
The motor car pulling it looks like an A5 Fairmont. Is that on CN or CP track, and is is still railroad owned?
Charlie
Hi Charlie---this was a CP track gang working the Kinnear Yard today.Here's some more shots of the equipment

[Image: P1070975.jpg]

[Image: P1070978.jpg]

[Image: P1070980.jpg]
It s an old motor car, but I can't tell for sure the make or model. I thought they had retired all of them. The big cars aren't popular with the NARCOA group, but we had two, one an A8 the other an A4 and they did a good job pulling carts with material and equipment. I had a personal car, an MT19 that I sold in 2005.
Charlie
Nice thread. I have a couple additions:

Maintenance of way circa late '20's. Both images show ballast cleaning, though the tools used are quite different.

Ballast dump car - not sure when this was built, but judging from the arch bars, I'd guess 19-teens. Built by the "Kilbourne and Jacobs MFG. Co." in Columbus, Ohio (according to it's builder plate).

Attached Files Image(s)

Matt Goodman
Columbus, Ohio
Here's the Cadillac of motor-cars---take a bow Charlie

[Image: 2009penn1002.jpg]