My Grande Valley Railway in the "N"ormal scale
I actually started this layout back in the late 90s. Proceeded to lose interest off and on for roughly 5 years.I built a smaller socalled portable N scale layout that never went anywhere ,and a Z scale layout that went everywhere.

Back around September of last year I got fired up and started working on this layout again.The plan was to run the layout completely around the room,but to do so required several moveable sections.The first of these was a 6' long section on wheels that was hinged off the layout.It was built,it was tested,it worked purfectly.The problem was it had to be moved for anyone to enter the room once I was in here,and had to be moved if I or someone else wanted out.I lived with it for four months then noticed I was losing interest in the layout again.Time for the next phase (I am enjoying myself again Eek )

Anyway here are some pics.

[Image: change-1.jpg]

This is the first construction pic as you can see it was abit messy.That support leg is 1.5" PVC pipe and is quite up to the job.

[Image: endloop1.jpg]

Progress shot ,I'm liking it better already.

[Image: endloop2.jpg]

One more progress shot.

[Image: theloop1.jpg]

The loop finished and ready for scenery.
Johnathan (Catt) Edwards
"The Ol Furrball"

"I'm old school,I still believe in respect"
Moving right along at a rapid Snail's pace.

[Image: layout_a.jpg]

This is where the endloop goes,if your interested in stats it is 9'1" from this end of the layout to that coved corner.

[Image: layout_b.jpg]

This is just a pic of that coved corner.Backdrop is .060" styrene glued and screwed to the wall.Minimum curve raduis is 15" major is 18".

[Image: layout_c.jpg]

Just a partial shot of the narrow (10'6") end wall.
Johnathan (Catt) Edwards
"The Ol Furrball"

Continuing with our little tour,

[Image: abridge1.jpg]

First pic of my scratchbuilt road bridge before tweaking.

[Image: abridge4.jpg]

With a little teaking.Incase you are wondering the bridge is built to match the edge of the layout .

[Image: abridge5.jpg]

Not shown in the pic is the sidewalk I added for pedestrian traffic.
Johnathan (Catt) Edwards
"The Ol Furrball"

Wow you've got some great space to work with. Good progress! I wish I had the space like that for wider radius turns and curves...I'd be able to run a long string of autoracks like you do and not have all the derailments.
Mark

Citation Latitude Captain
--and--
Lt Colonel, USAF (Retired)
The room is 10'6" wide x 25'6" long so it will allow for a fair sized railroad (I share the room with a furnace and hot water heater).

Anyway to continue this update.

[Image: grain-a.jpg]

I had this nice long piece of real estate so I put the grain elevator there.(some may remember it being posted elsewhere on Blue).Anyway as big as the elevator is there was still to much unused real estate so I added this.

[Image: wfec-b.jpg]

This is a model of the building that my company bought in 2002.It is full scale in N and is as accurate as I could make it with out scratchbuilding the siding for it.Anyway the company name is Williams Form Engineering and I retired from there after 30 years.The grain elevator is now to the right of WFEC just out of camera range.

Ok, this is it for the first installment.
Johnathan (Catt) Edwards
"The Ol Furrball"

Quite impressive. I wish I had that kind of room. I'm glad you got interested in a normal scale again. Goldth
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
founder of the CANYON STATE RAILROAD
Catt Wrote:....It is full scale ...
I would be glad if I could have a "full scale" building too... enough dreamed Sad
Reinhard
Quote:Quite impressive. I wish I had that kind of room. I'm glad you got interested in a normal scale again.

Don, I will always be interested in N scale.Z is fun but to damned expencive to do what I want,HO and O (narrowgauge) are fun and the 1:32 is my outdoor fun toy.N is just exactly what the doctor ordered. :mrgreen:

The main plan is even though it's a big layout is to keep it simple and enjoyable.
Johnathan (Catt) Edwards
"The Ol Furrball"

Nice layout Catt! I admire the long runs and broad curves that make that long line of car carriers look great!
Ralph
Wow Catt that is a lot of space. Wish I had that much, but then it would be a bit of work to fill it.

Look forward to seeing your progress! 2285_
Marc

Bar Extension - 5' x 2.5' N-scale layout plus two decks of shelf layout
Well, I got a little bit more done on the Williams factory .The walls are now covered with red brick and I got the office roof started.

[Image: wfec-c.jpg]

Saturday I hope to get the roof finnished ,the parking lot in and some ground cover down..
Johnathan (Catt) Edwards
"The Ol Furrball"

A little bit closer to completion.

[Image: wfec-e.jpg]
Johnathan (Catt) Edwards
"The Ol Furrball"

I thought it might be a good idea to do a small update and show what I am working on,and to keep from losing track of this thread.

I know this building is shown in other pictures on this thread but it is being rebuilt as a larger facility.

[Image: bsgrain1.jpg]

The building is a long ways from done but is one of those projects I walk away from for awhile when I get bored with it.
The building is 35.5" long which is roughly 473.5' long in N scale.There will be a 2 track storage yard (maybe more if I'm lucky :mrgreen: ).There will also be a modern two lane road plus a fence between the building and the railroad mainline you can see in the front.

I hope to get a lot more done before the week is out.
Johnathan (Catt) Edwards
"The Ol Furrball"

the "N"ormal scale definitely has some advantages. The 473 foot long building still has a ton of space around it. You're making great progress here, I do like the industries, nice and big!
Nice work! Thumbsup