Gern
How is GERN shipped from the mine, in hoppers or covered hoppers?
Mike Kieran
Port Able Lines

" If the world were perfect, it wouldn't be " - Yogi Berra.
Yes. Gern is a miracle product, in that you can find it wherever you need, ship it however you want, and use it for any purpose.

For more information, you should get in touch with Charles "Cookie" Gibson, Flux Magnate. Wink

Andrew
Mike Kieran Wrote:How is GERN shipped from the mine, in hoppers or covered hoppers?

357 357 Why.....it's shipped in ----Boxes or Bags, Crates or cans, Jars or cars or purses or sox. In Tank Cars, Box cars, Hoppers, Reefers. On Flat cars, Ore cars , Containers, Bulktainers. In Barrels or drums or wrapped up in canvass.In Cases or Vases or wax sealed glasses....And--- whatever it's shipped in, there's always 3% more of it than anything else that might be found there.
The other answer to the question "How is GERN shipped?", would be --- Very Carefully ! 357 357
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!
Pete,

Your answer makes me want to recite Dr Seuss...!

I would ship it in a box, I would ship it secure with locks.
I would ship it in a tank, I would ship it as a prank.
I would ship it in a drum, I would ship it to your Mum.
By truck or train, by air, by car, I would ship it really far.
I would ship it here or there, I would ship it anywhere!

Wink Icon_lol

Andrew
MasonJar Wrote:Pete,
Your answer makes me want to recite Dr Seuss...!

I would ship it in a box, I would ship it secure with locks.
I would ship it in a tank, I would ship it as a prank.
I would ship it in a drum, I would ship it to your Mum.
By truck or train, by air, by car, I would ship it really far.
I would ship it here or there, I would ship it anywhere!

Wink Icon_lol Andrew

And ------ GERN would make the Green Eggs and Ham taste 3% better !!! 357 357

--- It's not my fault, Innocent I tell you, it's the Humidity, with the Heat....yeah, that's what it is!! ---
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!
According to this forum, which has discussed the subject exhaustively, GERN ore is shipped in ore hoppers. Refined GERN would be shipped in covered hoppers, and liquified GERN in tank cars. Other rolling stock is only used to ship finished products made from GERN, not the actual substance itself.

Sometimes it's hard to get a straight answer from this crowd, but ask yourself why anyone would mine GERN and then put it in bottles or cans to ship to a plant for further processing. The rules of economy and profit still apply no matter what.
Lets also not forget that GERN is actually the name of the company, GERN Industries Ltd. The mined ore that is processed is called Flux and it is white in colour. Which is useful when weathering your rolling stock to give the appearance that it is used to haul flux, either bagged, boxed or liquified and piped into tank cars.

I would be nice if the good Doctor Wayne could chime in here. Misngth
Is the Cat in the Hat the public face of GERN?

If not why not? And we can have Dr Suess as its advertising rep.

GERN improved Green Eggs and Ham for all GERN employees to make them work 3% better and faster.

Mark
Fake It till you Make It, then Fake It some More
The flux ore used by GERN would normally be shipped in hoppers, but, depending on the era, locale, and size of the operation, it could also move in covered hoppers, boxcars, gondolas, or, if mined hydraulically, in tank cars. Many mines, like the one at Gibson Works, in Port Maitland, Ontario, are connected directly to the refining and milling end of the operation. The mine itself is not modelled, of course, as it's out-of-sight under nearby Lake Erie.
[Image: Morefull-sizedGERNfoe-toes004.jpg]

If you're interested in modelling a GERN operation, contact doctorwayne via PM, as he can provide some GERN advertising and promotional material.

Cookie
Flux Magnate
and note that the Scottish division of GERN ships flux in bags.

(That's the middle waggon; the other two are coal and haggis.)
David
Moderato ma non troppo
Perth & Exeter Railway Company
Esquesing & Chinguacousy Radial Railway
In model railroading, there are between six and two hundred ways of performing a given task.
Most modellers can get two of them to work.
I love it David! Thumbsup Goldth Thumbsup I wonder if GERN can enhance the appeal of haggis? Those GERN bags are cool! Smile
Ralph
Awesome, I was just wondering so that I can letter some covered hoppers. I was pondering a mine to port/barge transfer layout (or a variation of the Port Able Railway).

Maybe you should use the Cat in the Hat (or some legal derivation of the character) as the commercial spokesperson for ad campaign, like Owens Corning and the Pink Panther.

Should we start another thread for the GERN Mascot?
Mike Kieran
Port Able Lines

The Texas Division of GERN Industries Limited located in Houston uses a process known as evaporative flux milling. The facility is located over a large underground flux deposit. The deposit was discovered on the south side of Houston in 1956. Two 10 inch diameter wells were drilled into the deposit. Water is pumped into one of the wells, dissolving the flux, and the saturated solution is brought up through the other well. The water is then evaporated out, leaving an extraordinarily pure grade of flux. The facility then further refines the flux into several products, most notably Powdered Flux, Granulated Flux, and Anhydrous Flux.

Bulk powdered and granulated flux are shipped in covered hoppers. Smaller quantities are bagged and shipped in boxcars. Anhydrous Flux is shipped by tank car.

Anyone desiring to build some GERN rollingstock should contact docWayne for the car numbers available so there are no duplications.

[Image: image.php?album_id=124&image_id=4034]
BR60103 Wrote:and note that the Scottish division of GERN ships flux in bags.

[ATTACHMENT NOT FOUND]

But that is just cruel, packing them into an open truck like that - Haggis are normally transported in converted cattle vans, are they not? You may receive a visit from the Royal Society for Prevention of Cruelty to Haggis
BR60103 Wrote:and note that the Scottish division of GERN ships flux in bags.

[ATTACHMENT NOT FOUND]

Are those Jelly Bellys in the outside cars? It looks like GERN made them 30,000% bigger.
Mike Kieran
Port Able Lines