"Mission complete Houston"
At 05:57 EDT Today 7/21/11, a thirty year journey came to an end. Atlantis, the last of the Space Shuttles, made her final landing.
We have been "Space Aliens" for longer than some here have been alive! We have "Boldly gone where no man has gone before", and now, we rest. Oh, it was on this day, July 21, 1969 -- 42 years ago -- that Man's footprint first appeared on the moon.

Attached Files Image(s)

We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!
Saw that this morning. Fantastic and yet bittersweet at the same time. I'm going to miss watching those birds take off. Sad
How sad to see this era come to an end. I do remember that day, watching There's nothing right now to take it's place and that's a shame. One would have thought that NASA would have started on a replacement project years ago and have something ready to launch just about now.

Knowing how congress deals with these things, I'm guessing that they'll take what was NASA's funding, and give it to the Russians to help further their space program. 35 Wallbang 35 Wallbang Just a wild guess, but probably not too far from the truth. Nope
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
founder of the CANYON STATE RAILROAD
Keep thinking positive.. The Mercury, Gemini and Apollo missions all ended with tears of sorrow and the wonder of great accomplishments. Comcast has a page of Shuttle accomplishments here:
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://xfinity.comcast.net/articles/news-science/20110720/SCIENCE-US-SPACE-SHUTTLE-ACHIEVEMENTS/?cid=hero_media">http://xfinity.comcast.net/articles/new ... hero_media</a><!-- m -->

If it were not for the Shuttle the Hubble Space Telescope would most likely not be a reality (It just discovered a 4th moon around Pluto in the last few days)

The ISS Would never have been completed this quickly... And a bunch of "Zero Gravity" experiments could not have been completed both onboard the Shuttle and the ISS. Not to mention the Amateur Radio contacts that most definitly inspired some students to get involved in Amateur (Ham) Radio... There was a Radio Operator (or more than one) on every shuttle mission and/or on the ISS and the ISS station was used thousands of times being contacted by "Earth Stations" Smile Smile Lots of FUN!!!! and no, so far, I have not contacted the ISS... but there's still time, I'm sure Big Grin

As far as funds, the money will still go to NASA, but part will go to the new "Private" designers of manned missions in space.
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="http://mashable.com/2011/07/06/private-space-race/">http://mashable.com/2011/07/06/private-space-race/</a><!-- m -->

The Russians will be ferrying our Astronauts along with their Cosmonauts on their Soyuz flights. Of course, the USA will have to pay Russia $56 to $63 Million dollars a seat. So that will not sit well with the US politicians or the American public that wants to "keep the monies here".
~~ Mikey KB3VBR (Admin)
~~ NARA Member # 75    
~~ Baldwin Eddystone Unofficial Website

~~ I wonder what that would look like in 1:20.3???
That's a cool photo. You can actually see the wing tip vorticies Smile

As for the replacement - we've got a private company - SpaceX that could be sending cargo to the ISS before the end of the year, and people within three years. A private company sending people into orbit. If that's not the American dream, I don't know what is.
--
Kevin
Check out my Shapeways creations!
3-d printed items in HO/HOn3 and more!
<!-- m --><a class="postlink" href="https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kevin-s-model-train-detail-parts">https://www.shapeways.com/shops/kevin-s ... tail-parts</a><!-- m -->
What a shame. I heard that GERN is launching a space program for lunar flux. Steam powered rocket ships anyone? It's a shame to see the program come to an end. NASA has some kind of program similar to the original Saturn rockets and lunar landers. Can you imagine if they had today's electronics in the original space ships?
Mike Kieran
Port Able Lines

" If the world were perfect, it wouldn't be " - Yogi Berra.
nachoman Wrote:A private company sending people into orbit. If that's not the American dream, I don't know what is.

Big Grin Big Grin A private company sending people into orbit.........for less than a "million bucks", round trip! Icon_twisted 357 Big Grin
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
ngauger Wrote:The Russians will be ferrying our Astronauts along with their Cosmonauts on their Soyuz flights. Of course, the USA will have to pay Russia $56 to $63 Billion dollars a seat. So that will not sit well with the US politicians or the American public that wants to "keep the monies here".

Mikey -

I thought it was millions, not billions per seat. That's in line with the NASA cost to put the shuttle up, although it could also carry a bunch of neat stuff for the astronauts to do as well... Wink

I must say I am very proud to say that Canada went on every mission, and is resident at the ISS even now...

More obvious here on the double-ended ISS arm:

Wink Big Grin Thumbsup

Go Canada!    

Andrew
tetters Wrote:Fantastic and yet bittersweet at the same time. I'm going to miss watching those birds take off. Sad

Me too. Despite the Challenger and Columbia accidents, it has been a good program.

Here is to the memory of the 14 brave men and women who perished aboard those two lost shuttles:

1996-01-28: STS-51 - Challenger
(left to right, rear row first)
Ellison Onizuka
Christa McAuliffe
Greg Jarvis
Judith Resnik
Michael J. Smith
Dick Scobee
Ronald McNair
[Image: 750px-Challenger_flight_51-l_crew.jpg]

2003-02-01: STS-107 - Columbia
(left to right)
David M. Brown
Rick D. Husband
Laurel B. Clark
Kalpana Chawla
Michael P. Anderson
William McCool
Ilan Ramon
[Image: sts107_crew.jpg]

Per Aspera Ad Astra!

Stein
MasonJar Wrote:
ngauger Wrote:The Russians will be ferrying our Astronauts along with their Cosmonauts on their Soyuz flights. Of course, the USA will have to pay Russia $56 to $63 Billion dollars a seat. So that will not sit well with the US politicians or the American public that wants to "keep the monies here".

Mikey -

I thought it was millions, not billions per seat. That's in line with the NASA cost to put the shuttle up, although it could also carry a bunch of neat stuff for the astronauts to do as well... Wink

Andrew
OOps - Yup - i corrected it to "Millions" Smile Thanks!!

Always liked the technology of the Canadian Arms Smile Smile
~~ Mikey KB3VBR (Admin)
~~ NARA Member # 75    

I remember the FIRST shuttle launch...Sitting in the dark glued to the TV, pushing that baby up. I think it was the collective "push" of millions that finally got it off the ground, after several "scrubbed" attempts.....
Gus (LC&P).
NASA has future space ships on the drawing board. What I wish they would do is not put in unnecessary technology. The hatches were electrically operated while the Russian spacecraft had manual cranks. It's just a matter of what can be fixed easier in space and keeping it simple. I remember the story about how NASA spent millions of dollars developing a pen that could be used in zero gravity. The Russians turned around and told them that was nice, they just use a pencil.

The one thing that I would avoid doing if I were NASA is naming the ships anything with the letter C for obvious superstitious reasons.
Mike Kieran
Port Able Lines

Mike Kieran Wrote:NASA has future space ships on the drawing board. What I wish they would do is not put in unnecessary technology. The hatches were electrically operated while the Russian spacecraft had manual cranks. It's just a matter of what can be fixed easier in space and keeping it simple.
Yeah, the frivolous USA strikes again Smile And of course, there must be triple redundancy on all such nonsensical connections.. Sad Sad

Mike Kieran Wrote:I remember the story about how NASA spent millions of dollars developing a pen that could be used in zero gravity. The Russians turned around and told them that was nice, they just use a pencil.
HEY!!! I had one of those "Fisher Space Pens" and I enjoyed writing upside down, while laying on the couch, studing for those school tests ~ which ... I always seemed to fai..... uhh We may have found an ongoing "cause and effect" problem here.... Goldth Goldth Nope
........ But it was a COOL PEN!!!! Just 'cause it cost "real" money to make, was immaterial.. :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen:

Mike Kieran Wrote:The one thing that I would avoid doing if I were NASA is naming the ships anything with the letter C for obvious superstitious reasons.
Wow!!! I never thought of that!!!
~~ Mikey KB3VBR (Admin)
~~ NARA Member # 75    

If the US used pencils, they would probably use an electric pencil sharpener (DOH!!!).

I swear by those Paper Mate mechanical pencils. I'm not a technophobe, I just think that stuff should work when it's marketed and sometimes we over tech stuff.

As for the naming of the ships, my mind is just a scary place. Ask the many voices that reside there. Cheers Cheers Cheers Cheers Cheers Cheers Cheers Cheers Cheers
Mike Kieran
Port Able Lines

Mike Kieran Wrote:As for the naming of the ships, my mind is just a scary place. Ask the many voices that reside there. Cheers Cheers Cheers Cheers Cheers Cheers Cheers Cheers Cheers

" Ask the many voices that reside there. Cheers Cheers Cheers Cheers Cheers Cheers ( I'd get professional help with this one -- Cheers --, this one is scary ) Cheers Cheers " 357 357