The New Layout
Great looking scenery. Keep posting the pictures so newbies like me can learn Big Grin
Rob - Modeling the B&O & C&O into Chessie System in the Toledo, Ohio area in the late 60's - early 70's
Well time to blow the dust off of this topic......

I have done some small work on the layout, although this year at work has kept me away from the family for most of it. Let alone the layout.

So i have been think about the trackplan and am not entirely happy, so today I was bored at work and started to play.

I have attached the Xtrackcad file, maybe someone can flip into a jpeg since i cant on this computer.

Attached Files
.xtc   Re Design Rev1.xtc (Size: 84.16 KB / Downloads: 59)
That light at the end of the Tunnel isn't heaven.........ITS A TRAIN!

My Railpictures.net Pictures
My Ramblings and Pictures
Plan in jpg - I have flipped it 90 degrees clockwise and am only showing 2/3rds of the room, to get a closer look on the track plan:

[Image: winnipeg01.jpg]

Actual orientation in the room:
[Image: winnipeg01-overview.jpg]

Smile,
Stein
Thanks. Cheers

Well the bench work was assembled yesterday, Put the foam down temporarily so I can fit the track plan. It was weird though, Home Depot sells 24"x96"x1" foam sheets for 25$ each. But the 1/2" sheets of the same size are 7$. Even with the cost of glue it saves a bundle.

[albumimg]4132[/albumimg]
[albumimg]4131[/albumimg]
[albumimg]4130[/albumimg]
[albumimg]4129[/albumimg]

Outstanding...all of it! Thumbsup
Made a little more progress tonight,

Well, I got a little time in the basement tonight undisturbed so i mapped out the track on the peninsula. One side will be a small yard with the edge of town at one end. The other side of the peninsula will be another coal mine, Just a small two track tipple. The string you see running across the foam is where roughly the scenic divider will be, I think I might just make a tall ridge so you can't see over it. Will have to see what I come up with. The track is all just placed on the layout to get an idea of where everything will line up. And so far i like how its coming along.

Overall Shot of the town/Yard
[Image: IMG-20120108-00024.jpg]

Roughly where the mine will go.
[Image: IMG-20120108-00030.jpg]

Some Town industries, with the planned roadway.
[Image: IMG-20120108-00025.jpg]

I'm curving the town and making it look more like the edge of a larger town.
[Image: IMG-20120108-00027.jpg]

Well I had a few hours tonight with nothing to do, and I wasn't up to working on the benchwork. So I started working on a freight house. I received a number of Walther's modular kits a while back, I must say I am impressed with how well they go together. Here is the outer walls and foundation after a couple of hours.

[Image: IMG-20120109-00031.jpg]
[Image: IMG-20120109-00032.jpg]
[Image: IMG-20120109-00033.jpg]

Well I got the 2" foam cut and glued in place. On top of this will be the 1" foam that I laid out the track plan on. So I may even be able to have some track down by next weekend. Tomorrow I plan to attach the pink foam and seal up the joints.

[Image: IMG-20120114-00034.jpg]
[Image: IMG-20120114-00035.jpg]

Great work so far! Looks pretty neat! Waht your theme/era?

Matt
Proudly modelling Quebec Railway Light & Power Company since 1997.

Hedley-Junction Club Layout: http://www.hedley-junction.blogspot.com/

Erie 149th Street Harlem Station http://www.harlem-station.blogspot.com/
Very nice! Always good to see someone working in the "CORRECT" scale! 2285_
Mike

Sent from my pocket calculator using two tin cans and a string
sailormatlac Wrote:Great work so far! Looks pretty neat! Waht your theme/era?

Matt

Coal Hauling Mainly, Era is 66-70.

Well, its been a while since i did anything train related so here is an update. Last week i went to Artists Emporium here in Winnipeg. On sale they had an Aztek 470 kit for $79.99 instead of $169.00, Ok I can splurge for that price. And WOW what a difference it makes of the Badger I was using.

So i started re doing some of the U25's that were posted about below. While painting the noses on the units, I had one U25 masked for the usual Reading Green. And while changing paints to the Reading Green from the black, I looked up and saw the unit below.
[Image: IMG-20120405-00082.jpg]
Now this was the first iteration of the EH&S back in my teen years. That is a Tyco GP-20 sitting on a Athearn GP-9 frame. Fairly basic black & yellow paint, All done with Rattle Can. Upon seeing this I looked back at the one U25 awaiting another coat of green paint, looked at my current cup of black paint in the airbrush and you get the following.
[Image: IMG-20120405-00078.jpg]
So this units frame isn't quite finished yet, it only has the yellow applied for the battery boxes. But mounted on the frame I think it looks sharp.
[Image: IMG-20120405-00081.jpg]
Now I am not sure which one I like better......

Don't know how I did it but I totally missed this thread.Layout is looking very nice. About the locos,I think the black makes the yellow POP! You could like I did and have some locos in both schemes (gives the railroad some history) just weather the green ans yellow locos a little heavier than the green and black.
Johnathan (Catt) Edwards
"The Ol Furrball"

"I'm old school,I still believe in respect"
Tyson Rayles Wrote:Very nice! Always good to see someone working in the "CORRECT" scale! 2285_

Icon_lol Icon_lol Icon_lol

Well, that may be true, and I have done a bit in N scale, but -- I still like working in "Horribly Oversized", and "Oh my Gawd - n30"
Big Grin Big Grin Icon_twisted Big Grin Icon_twisted Big Grin Big Grin
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!