Peanut Butter Plant
Well here's one that is not far from where I live and something that I'd been overlooking as a potential industry for a switching layout. Out of sight, out of mind I guess. In fact, if a person were interested, you could have a nice little little ISL based on this location.

This is the J. M. Smucker Jif Peanut Butter plant in Lexington, KY.    
Here's a Bing view of the facility for reference: http://www.bing.com/maps/?v=2&cp=qb692b7...orm=LMLTCC

Located on R. J. Corman's Central Kentucky lines operation (former L&N/CSX) in Lexington; the plant is on the east side of Lexington about 3 miles from the Corman yard on the west side of town and at the end of the former Lexington Belt Line Railroad, that was jointly served by the L&N and C&O.

Not too many years ago, the Belt Line was quite a busy operation, with many industries located along the line. But as is often the case today, many of the industries have closed or stopped using rail service. There is an active scrap dealer still using rail service, and a GE Lighting glass plant which is being closed because they can't compete with those Chinese exploding light bulb manufacturers!

This facility was first put in to operation as W. T. Young Foods in 1946 and produced Big Top Peanut Butter. Anyone on here besides me, remember Big Top? Big Top peanut butter was a major part of my diet when I was growing up. William T. Young was a major owner of thoroughbred racehorses (naturally) and passed away in January 2004. He sold the plant to Proctor & Gamble in 1955 who then changed the brand name to Jif.

Smuckers purchased the plant from P&G some time in 2001 and continues to produce the Jif brand of peanut butter at this location. After selling Young Foods, Mr. Young then built and operated a huge storage warehouse, W. T. Young Storage, located on the C&O line about 2 miles east of the peanut butter plant. This facility plays a large role in the operations of the Jif plant. Guess you could say that Mr. Young never really got completely out of the peanut butter business.

As you can see in the Bing view, there is quite a bit of piping and some vertical storage tanks on and around the main plant and there are three tracks in the plant. One currently for vegetable oil tank cars and the second that splits in to two tracks, currently for covered hoppers. Recently, two other tracks that formerly lead to Congleton Lumber (northwest side of Smuckers) have been placed back in service and a shed placed over them. Not sure what they are using this new facility for. You can see this change in this Google view: http://maps.google.com/?ll=38.041953,-84...18&vpsrc=6. Always nice to see a rail served facility expanding instead of closing!

Currently, Smucker's receives pneumatic discharge type covered hoppers of bulk peanuts (cars are similar to those that transport plastic pellets, but shorter); and a couple of pressure differential covered hoppers of sugar and tank cars of vegetable oil per week. Like many industries these days, while most of the product ingredients are received by rail, the finished product goes out by truck. Smucker's also has a small Trackmobile at their plant for moving cars around between times when the train switches the plant.

Operations back in the 70's and until the mid to late 80's were more interesting in my opinion, with more car types and spotting locations. All the peanuts were shipped in 100lb bags in 50ft box cars. P&G would spot some of them at the plant where they were unloaded, but a lot of them were handed over to the C&O and taken to the W. T. Young Storage warehouse where they were unloaded, inspected and then trucked over to the plant. I have no idea why some went directly to the plant while others were sent to the warehouse other than perhaps due to shipping date of the peanuts. Now and then, they would actually reload some of the box cars and send them back from the warehouse to the plant; but that wasn't a regular move. It wasn't unusual for there to be 10 or more cars of peanuts on spot between the plant and the warehouse at any one time.

During the 70's and until the perhaps the mid-80's, some of the finished product was still shipped out of the plant in 50ft insulated box cars and with piggyback service, the L&N having a TOFC facility in Lexington. Rail car shipments only amounted to about 2 or 3 cars per week though as P&G quietly switched over entirely to truck shipping. I only worked at the Lexington yard now and then during the late 70's so I'm going strictly by my (failing?) memory as to the number of outbound shipments.

The plant also received a couple of Airslide covered hoppers of sugar per week (now and then box cars of bagged sugar) along with two or three tank cars of vegetable oil per week. Box cars of peanuts were spotted on the long track closest to the main plant, along with the tank cars. Box cars for shipping out product, were spotted on the middle track (again closest to the main plant) and the covered hoppers of sugar on the outside track. Now and then, box cars were spotted opposite each other on both the middle and outside tracks, with the outside car being loaded by going through the car on the middle track.

Like most large facilities, cars had to be spotted at specific locations per the customers instructions; resulting in a lot of placing, pulling and re-spotting of cars. It wasn't unusual for a crew to spend 3 hours or more working the plant. Corman switches the plant 6, sometimes 7 days a week.

A couple of other things about this location: There were two other rail served industries located on the northwest and northeast sides of the plant, forming a little triangle of industries. Congleton Lumber had two tracks that ran in to their lumber yard and they always had 2 or more cars of lumber, plywood or other building products on spot. There was also Papania's Inc., a wholesale supplier of fruit and vegetables that had their own siding that came off the lead to P&G and Congleton. They usually had one reefer on spot at their building at all times and now and then when they would get more than one car at a time, would spot one on the Congleton lead and unload the car there.

Unfortunately (as far as us model railroaders are concerned) both Congleton and Papania no longer receive anything by rail, but still the potential is there for an interesting cluster of industries in a relatively small area, if you back date the operation to the 70's or 80's.

On the remaining former C&O trackage east of Smucker's, is 84 Lumber (rarely gets a car), W. T. Young Storage (where covered hoppers of peanuts are now being unloaded for storage instead of box cars), K&I Lumber (occasional rail shipments), and International Paper (usually has 4 or 5 box cars on spot).

Incidentially, RJCC shoves their train from the Lexington yard with a caboose leading when they only have to work Smucker's on the Belt Line. The locomotive will lead when they have cars for the International Paper plant on the former C&O trackage and use the W. T. Young run around. This type of operation makes this a good candidate for an industrial switching layout as there is no need for a run around. In L&N days, the engine would lead the train and they ran around the train using the east Lexington wye for the return trip. The current train handling practice of either pulling the train or shoving with a caboose leading, started under CSX operation of the Belt Line when the C&O yard and most of the line east was abandoned.

Were I going to base an ISL on this facility, I suppose I'd model it looking south toward the main plant with that structure as a low relief background structure. I'd probably omit the smaller structures on the outside track or make them low height structures so that you could easily look over them. Same thing with Papania, a low height structure that you could look over. Congleton Lumber would only need to be represented with the paved over unloading area.

I've been tossing around the idea today of possibly basing an ISL with the peanut butter plant as the main industry and include the lumber dealer and produce distributor. I'd also use modelers license and move the G&J Pepsi bottling plant to my line so I'd have a destination for my corn syrup tank cars     and maybe also move the old Lawrence Brewer & Son feed mill to the line so I'd have a destination for my covered hoppers.     Lawrence Brewer was a major supplier of "Heavy Race Horse Oats" and is an interesting structure in itself. I'll have to mess around some and see what I could come up with.

Viewer Warning: This could result in a new ISL plan and thread (Oh No!!!). But we'll see.... I'm open to ideas that any of you folks might have for such a plan.

I'll be going back to Lexington in the morning (Wednesday), so maybe when I get through at the heart doctor, I'll be able to catch Corman working the Jif plant and can get a few photos. Should be about the right time of the day. But forecast is for more rain (Ugh!).
Ed
"Friends don't let friends build Timesavers"
Good Morning Ed:

That line around Lexington appears to have some real possibilities for modeling with the peanut butter facility, the lumber yard, the produce company and the paper plant. I look forward to seeing your ideas as they materialize.

Take care of yourself and don't push it as you recover. Enjoy the hobby gradually and for relaxation.

Thanks, for sharing your ideas.

Barry, who is "knee deep in alligators" training new hire conductors and trying to re-write employee timetables for our railroads.
BOK Wrote:Good Morning Ed:

That line around Lexington appears to have some real possibilities for modeling with the peanut butter facility, the lumber yard, the produce company and the paper plant. I look forward to seeing your ideas as they materialize.
Hi Barry;
The Belt Line does indeed have a lot of possibilities. In fact if you had the room, a person could model the entire line from where it branches off the main line at L&N Junction to the former C&O connection and include all the current and past industries.

I've already come up with a preliminary track plan based on this posting and my other ideas, but it needs a lot of "polish" and I'll have to spend some more time looking it over, thinking about it, and refining it before I'd commit myself to even temporarily lay out the track plan. Has possibilities though.

BOK Wrote:Take care of yourself and don't push it as you recover. Enjoy the hobby gradually and for relaxation.
Thanks, for sharing your ideas.
You're quite welcome and I'm taking it easy for the most part, although the urge to get busy and do something constructive is getting the best of me.

BOK Wrote:Barry, who is "knee deep in alligators" training new hire conductors and trying to re-write employee timetables for our railroads.
I was involved in writing "simple, but compliant" operating rules for TransKentucky Transportation (TTIS) when they were first starting up in 1980; so I understand what you're going through. Quite a chore! Was based on the Uniform Code of Operating Rules and included some other things like Manual Block Operating Rules, currently then in use on the L&N (now called Direct Traffic Control). The use of the DTC wasn't really necessary since they only operated one train, one way a day, but that's what the General Manager wanted with the view that "one day" they might be operating more than one train at a time. Could have just operated the whole 50 miles under Rule 93.

The hardest part was getting the people to actually understand and comply with the rules. Guess these days, they just use the CSX operating rules, since CSX took the line back.
Ed
Ed,Another unusual industry that seldom gets modeled.I admit I never thought of a peanut butter plant and I like P&J sandwiches..

Keep these unsung industries coming..We need to go beyond the normal industries that's widely modeled...
Larry
Engineman

Summerset Ry

Make Safety your first thought, Not your last!  Safety First!
Great to see the Jif plant in my hometown the topic of discussion on here. I noticed some time back that the crossing there at Walton Avenue appeared to be paved over. Wonder how long it's been since the Herald-Leader has taken any newsprint cars?

Anxious to see your plan for the beltline.
geno404 Wrote:Great to see the Jif plant in my hometown the topic of discussion on here. I noticed some time back that the crossing there at Walton Avenue appeared to be paved over. Wonder how long it's been since the Herald-Leader has taken any newsprint cars?

Anxious to see your plan for the beltline.
Ahh - some one from right around the corner so to speak.

Was wondering the same thing myself about the Herald-Leader a few hours ago when I was driving around in the rain taking a closer look at Smucker's. Can't say for sure, but I'd say it's been several years. There were two Swift semi's unloading newsprint when I passed there.

That new shed and re-activated tracks at Smucker's is another covered hopper unloading location. Spots 4 cars (2 each track) inside.
Ed
So do we think the covered hoppers these days are all peanuts or do we think they still get a few carloads of sugar? I had always presumed them all to be peanuts but your post about the sugar cars made me wonder if those cars on that second track back in the plant was a different commodity.

Its my understanding that the company in the Young warehouses that gets the plastic pellets is also associated with the peanut butter product perhaps providing jars ect? Thats also an interesting part of the line with boxcars spotted at a few of the doors and pellet cars in the part that is home to the plastic company. Would make an additional prototypical industry to model that would provide some interesting switching.
geno404 Wrote:So do we think the covered hoppers these days are all peanuts or do we think they still get a few carloads of sugar? I had always presumed them all to be peanuts but your post about the sugar cars made me wonder if those cars on that second track back in the plant was a different commodity.

Its my understanding that the company in the Young warehouses that gets the plastic pellets is also associated with the peanut butter product perhaps providing jars ect? Thats also an interesting part of the line with boxcars spotted at a few of the doors and pellet cars in the part that is home to the plastic company. Would make an additional prototypical industry to model that would provide some interesting switching.
You're one up on me. I wasn't aware that there was someone at the W. T. Young Warehouse that was receiving plastic pellets and associated with Smucker's. Hadn't considered that they might be producing the plastic containers for the peanut butter these days, or perhaps a subcontractor in town could be making them; but that would sure add something to such a facility.

As for what is being received at Smucker's these days, I'll have to get hold of a couple of the fellows I know that work for Corman and see if they can verify what they are getting today. Driving through the plant yesterday on Zesta Pl in the rain, I could only see the ends of the covered hoppers that were on spot so very hard to say what they might have contained. Should have jotted down a couple of car numbers to see what they were.

I'm heading out this weekend for a three day rail fan trip out west, so would be sometime next week before I can see if I can get some better information pertaining to current rail traffic.

Based on what they "used to receive" and the era that I would model; I'm assuming that they must be getting commodities other than just peanuts by rail. Sugar, salt, vegetable oil and of course peanuts are the main ingredients of peanut butter. So we have several potential commodities that "could be" received.

I'm still tinkering around with a possible switching layout based on this as a main industry, but so far, I'm not too happy with how it's working out for my layout space (18in X 20ft). Probably trying too hard to make it resemble the actual facility and track arrangement and it just won't fit quite right. Of course, if it's freelance, then I could arrange it however I want and perhaps I need to search around some for other such facilities for ideas.
Ed
Yet another interesting post from you Ed.

Peanut Butter, mmmm. I suspect that the plastic pellet operation is doing something like what larger soft drink manufacturers do, and producing the containers as close to the user plant as possible. A sort of just in time approach and to save trucking empty peanut butter containers to far.

Mark
Fake It till you Make It, then Fake It some More
Mr Fixit Wrote:Yet another interesting post from you Ed.
Mark
Thanks Mark. Yep, it is something different and could be a good basis for the main industry on a switching layout, especially if back dated to the 70's - early 80's, with the larger car variety.

I talked to one of the Corman conductors today regarding present operations at Smucker's and he said that about all they handled where several different grades of peanuts in covered hoppers, which had to be placed in specific locations at the plant and also tank cars of vegetable oil. Everything else was coming in/going out on those 18 wheel, rubber tired things... He wasn't able to answer my question about the small plastic pellets operation at the W. T. Young Storage warehouse having anything to do with Smucker's, but I'm waiting to hear from another Corman employee who might provide a bit more information.

I've been playing around with the possibility of using something like Smucker's as the main industry on my own layout, but thus far, can't come up with anything that really suits me. The facility would have to be entirely freelance as I just can't get the track arrangement to resemble that of the actual location in my space. In all likelihood, I'll probably end up going with one of my other plans, as I have come up with two or three plan versions that I really like. Even thinking seriously about going back to having industries on both sides of the switching lead.

Getting ready to head out in a few hours for St. Louis and points west to do some rail fanning, so maybe by the time I get back Monday night, I may know a little more. Probably won't be going by the Effingham Railroad this trip, as there are several other locations that I plan on hitting and Effingham would be well out of the way. I'd still like to get photos and video's of them operating - maybe one of these days. Maybe on this trip, I'll find some other interesting and different industries too.
Ed
Here's a track plan that I worked up, with the Smucker's Peanut Butter plant as the primary industry. It's about all I can come up with that would fit my switching layout bench work, but does sort of capture the look and operations of the plant in the late 70's when it was still Proctor & Gamble:     The track arrangement around the peanut butter plant "resembles" what was actually there when I worked for the L&N, with the plant having two tracks and then the lumber dealer and produce distributor located by the plant.

I would typically have one or two vegetable oil tank cars and/or Airslide covered hoppers of sugar spotted on the short track and then two or three box cars of inbound peanuts on the longer track. Also would place a box car (sometimes two) for outbound shipments of peanut butter. There is room on the long track for cars waiting to be spotted, just to add operational interest. The lumber dealer and produce distributor only have room to spot one car each, but then that would be rather typical for these facilities.

Using modeler's license, I've placed two other Lexington industries that I like, on my spur to provide destinations for some of my other freight cars. The feed mill would be based on the Lawrence Brewer & Sons mill (two car spots) and the soft drink bottler on G&J Bottling (two car spots with room to hold one or two more) [see photos in the first posting]. I should note that G&J Bottling did not have a rail spur in the late 70's, but what the heck? It's a nice little industry to include on this freelance plan. I could also use the main track between the peanut butter plant switch and the switch leading to the produce/lumber industries as a team track spot if desired.
Ed
Ed,That is one super layout.. Thumbsup

If I had the space I would build that one in HO..
Larry
Engineman

Summerset Ry

Make Safety your first thought, Not your last!  Safety First!
Brakie Wrote:Ed,That is one super layout..
Thanks Larry! Now you've got me wondering about perhaps using this plan for my layout when I was just getting settled on my latest revision! Eek
Ed
Ed, what type of tank car would they use to receive vegetable oil in the late 1970's ?
Justin Miller
Modeling the Lebanon Industrial Railway (LIRY)
Justinmiller171 Wrote:Ed, what type of tank car would they use to receive vegetable oil in the late 1970's ?
Justin;
The Atlas 25,500 gal tank cars are perfect. http://www.atlasrr.com/hofreight/ho25500tankcar.htm Although the Atlas model is based on a Trinity design from the late 80's it's almost identical to those that would be seen at the plant in the late 70's and on, built by other rail car manufacturers. The Trinity design is a general service tank car and is quite suitable for representing similar size tank cars from the 70's and early 80's. We used to get tank cars almost exactly like these on the F&C loaded with grain alcohol for the distilleries too. I have a fleet of them for use on my ISL.

*** Edit ***
Here's a photo I have of us in route to the Old Grandad Distillery taken in 1981 by a friend as we passed over the 185ft high Bridge No. 3. Note the tank car that contained grain alcohol that would become vodka:    
You could get by with the Athearn 30,000 gal "Ethanol" tank cars, as long as they weren't lettered/stenciled for an ethanol producer. Best bet with any tank car is to go with ones that only carry the reporting marks. Of course for vegetable oil, ADM, Cargill, Bunge logo's on them would be just fine. General service tank cars are rarely, if ever, stenciled to show the commodity being transported - so they could serve multiple uses.

The smaller tank cars designed for transporting corn syrup (17-18,000 gal range) would not be appropriate, but if worse came to worse, you could probably use them, as long as they didn't have any markings on them indicating that they were transporting "Corn Syrup/Sugar".

One other note while I'm thinking about it. You'll need a few Airslide covered hoppers for the inbound shipments of sugar. On average, you'd receive two or three tank cars of vegetable oil a week and one, at most two, cars of sugar in that time frame. I think I noticed at least one Airslide in a photo of your layout, so you have a start there. Any 50ft box car of any road (especially the IPD cars) will be appropriate for the inbound loads of peanuts. Any outbound shipment of peanut butter (one or two a week) would be handled in RBL box cars (insulated - plug door) and could be most any road name too.

I've been toying some with the possibility of having the peanut butter plant as the main industry on my layout, but right now I'm quite pleased with the industries and plan that I have and the amount of switching that is required to operate the layout, so it's just a very slim possibility.
Ed