new member Tinknocker07
just saw that "new member" Tinknocker07 joined at 7:24 AM this morning, last visited at111:57 AM this afternoon, no posts ????

will watch for any post from this "new member".
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Lead me not into temptation.....I can find it myself!
Sumpter250 Wrote:just saw that "new member" Tinknocker07 joined at 7:24 AM this morning, last visited at111:57 AM this afternoon, no posts ????

I checked him out over at the Stop forum spam site and I can't find anything negative about him or his email address. We'll keep an eye out anyway, but usually spammers will dump their garbage the first time they come on after verifying their registration.
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
founder of the CANYON STATE RAILROAD
ezdays Wrote:
Sumpter250 Wrote:just saw that "new member" Tinknocker07 joined at 7:24 AM this morning, last visited at111:57 AM this afternoon, no posts ????

I checked him out over at the Stop forum spam site and I can't find anything negative about him or his email address. We'll keep an eye out anyway, but usually spammers will dump their garbage the first time they come on after verifying their registration.

OK, it was just the screen name that made me suspicious.
We always learn far more from our own mistakes, than we will ever learn from another's advice.
The greatest place to live life, is on the sharp leading edge of a learning curve.
Bear in mind that some folks come here (or are guided here) to look at threads dealing with a topic in which they may be interested. If the photos in those threads are stored in our Gallery, they need to become a Member in order to view such photos.

Wayne
Wayne is right, if they are looking to see something that has links to the Gallery, then they need to register. I never gave that aspect much thought before this though. Thanks for picking that up.

If you look through the members list, you can sort by any column. For instance, if you click on "posts", it will sort by the number of posts starting with the lowest count (0) first. Click again and it will sort from the highest count first. You will see that we have a few hundred "members" that have never posted. Click on, "last activity" and sort by oldest first (-) and you'll find that there are some 74 members that have not been back ever after completing their registration. Some of those never even completed the registration process by acknowledging their initial registration. I don't think you can tell by that list who has or hasn't done that, but Mikey and I can access that list and there are occasionally a few. Then there are those that do register and are visiting even months later, but only lurk. You can see that by this list. They must either log on each time, or have asked to be remembered.

Then there are those that complete their registration quickly, dump their garbage and leave, usually in the middle of the night. I guess you can say they work the night sift, or live in a part of the world that's maybe 12 hours difference from us. They are usually dispatched quickly though.

Mikey found that site "stop forum spam" and so we frequently check the user name and email address against that list, and if we get a hit, they are immediately banned. Sometimes it's a bit of work, but when you ban someone before they post, that's enough satisfaction to make it all worth while. Thumbsup Thumbsup
Don (ezdays) Day
Board administrator and
founder of the CANYON STATE RAILROAD
doctorwayne Wrote:Bear in mind that some folks come here (or are guided here) to look at threads dealing with a topic in which they may be interested. If the photos in those threads are stored in our Gallery, they need to become a Member in order to view such photos.
Wayne

Wayne, Don,
I actually didn't know that. :o
Thanks for the information. Big Grin
Pete
Sumpter250 Wrote:
doctorwayne Wrote:Bear in mind that some folks come here (or are guided here) to look at threads dealing with a topic in which they may be interested. If the photos in those threads are stored in our Gallery, they need to become a Member in order to view such photos.
Wayne

Wayne, Don,
I actually didn't know that. :o
Thanks for the information. Big Grin
Pete

Yeah, a couple of times I answered questions over on the MR forum, and then added an "if you want to see the complete procedure with pictures, click here", not realising that the pictures wouldn't be visible. 35 A couple of the more impatient types were quite irate, taking it to the point of complaining within the thread. That's when I added the "if you want to see the pictures, you'll need to register". Wink

Wayne